The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bent valves?how can I tell

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90tsiawdturbo

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
New London, Wisconsin
Is there a way I can tell if my valves are bent with out taking my head off...I kno one piston and/or rings are bad but I still gotta be able to possibly drive it 15 miles to the shop so I don't want to take the head off... Any suggestions?

compression test! check the compression and see a bent valve will leave the compression very low or at 0!

Like I said I have a bad piston so I know there's bad compression in that cylinder....is there any other way?

Like I said I have a bad piston so I know there's bad compression in that cylinder....is there any other way?

just about every time you bend a valve - even if your saying your pistons are bad - it still should have compression even if its low ------ with a bent valve you will have zero compression --------a compression check is basicly the only way of telling short of pulling the head and getting a shop to check it - zero compression is a sure tell sign of a bent valve :nono:also if you have a very severe miss ....even at idle --and loss of power --- but run a compression check sure fire way

Last edited:
I agree, you need to run a compression test. If you do infact have a bent valve the cylinder should be at 0 compression when testing. Read the Vfaq if you do not know how to do the test.

A compression test is good but it just shows that a problem exists. Do a leak down test so you can pinpoint the exact source of the compression loss. You say one piston and/or ring is bad. You may have more than one problem. You could have 0 compression from a bent intake and/or exhaust valve and then on top of that have a bad ring in that same cylinder. A compression test won't pinpoint that. It's best to do both test.

Is there a way I can tell if my valves are bent with out taking my head off...I kno one piston and/or rings are bad but I still gotta be able to possibly drive it 15 miles to the shop so I don't want to take the head off... Any suggestions?
Pull the valve cover. If any of the lifters seem to be out further than normal, or if any of the rockers are loose you have bent valves on that cylinder.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

But again, if you have obscenely low compression on any cylinder chances are you have at least one bent valve. If even one valve is not sealing properly, it will result in "0" compression for that cylinder. While rebuilding a buddy's 1G a while ago, he had two cracked exhaust valve guides on cylinder 1 which resulted in "0" compression....the valves were not even bent.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back