The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

rebuilt engine started but with no oil pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller97tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2008
jacksonville, Florida
like the title says i successfully started the engine but shut it down as soon as no oil pressure was at the gauge. i have cranked with the engine fuse pulled it wont build pressure. what can i do about getting this oil pressure problem resolved? is there a quick and easy way to prime the system without disassembly. i have read the forums and other posts i just need something that works and works well. thanks

the gauge telling you that there is no oil pressure just might mean its not working. i have seen many oil pressure gauges that werent hooked up correctly or at all. try removing the fuel pump relay and disconnecting the coil pack and cranking it while looking through the oil fill hole on the valve cover you just might see oil flowing. And just for the hell of it check the wires on the oil pressure sending unit

If you have compressed air available, you can apply some pressure to the top end of the engine . Plug the pcv or breather . With the oil filter off, sooner or later oil will flow out. Use some common sense on how much air to apply. Gaskets do not like high pressures. You are just trying to overcome some psysics .So just then, crank it over again just like you have been doing. You are not doing anything wrong in your approach. Like above stated, could be the gauge. I have fired lots of fresh engines and the sound of dead lifters and a bunch of rattle can stretch seconds into hours. :|Tres...

like the title says i successfully started the engine but shut it down as soon as no oil pressure was at the gauge. i have cranked with the engine fuse pulled it wont build pressure. what can i do about getting this oil pressure problem resolved? is there a quick and easy way to prime the system without disassembly. i have read the forums and other posts i just need something that works and works well. thanks

it sounds like you either have a sensor problem or a priming problem. My favorite priming method is pressure (note its freegin hand pump pressure not air compressor 120psi pressure) feeding the oil system before starting it. The oil pressure sensor has 1/8th ntp thread. remove the sensor and use a 1/8th ntp nipple fitting and hand pump oil from a gear oil quart bottle, from the bottle. NOT gear oil!. into the engine with a length of hose till your buddy gets bored or oil comes out from under the rockers (visible through the valve cover oil cap hole). After this is done, fire up the engine but dont rev. if the light doesnt go off within a second or 2. shut down. you likely have a wiring/ sensor issue. sometimes if you use excessive pipe thread sealant the sensor doesn't properly contact the housing and can't carry current (rare but happens). or your wiring / or sensor is bad. Shoot wires with continuity tester.

rx7ttlm can you explain your methond a bit more in depth and yes i did connect the sensor back up it was working properly before i tored the engine down.just the two on the bottom right near the oil filter housing.

Easiest way -

Remove the Nipple from the back of the Intake Manifold that has a hose running to the intake manifold.

Unscrew the bell shaped Oil Pressure Sensor behind the Oil filter.

Screw that nipple from the Intake Manifold in where the Sensor went.

Grab a Gallon Jug of Oil and a hand pump (found at any parts store)

Connect a rubber hose to the nipple and Pump. You'll pump in quite a bit, but eventually it will start flowing out of the ports in the head. You can then remove the pump hose, remove the nipple, screw back in the oil Pressure Sensor, clean up the nipple and put it back o the intake manifold, secure all connections, and start her up. No wear and tear, and no expensive equipment needed.

;D Have fun!

Did you do a balance shaft elimination? If so, did you remember to press in the bearings so the oil holes DON'T line up on the front shaft?

I would try that hand pump idea, and be sure you rotated the BS bearing, and that you put the oil pckup back on. Also, I've never had any luck cranking the engine to build oil pressure; it just doesn't spin fast enough to prime the pump. Besides, what lubricates all the moving parts while you crank it for hours right?

I would try that hand pump idea, and be sure you rotated the BS bearing, and that you put the oil pckup back on. Also, I've never had any luck cranking the engine to build oil pressure; it just doesn't spin fast enough to prime the pump. Besides, what lubricates all the moving parts while you crank it for hours right?

I've tested the whole 'crank to prime' BS. That is in no way the proper way to prime the engine. You are absolutely correct.

But yes, if you have all of the belts on and whatnot, the easier way to prime is the way that I mentioned above. The other way is to spin the pump with a drill while all the belts are off.

But yeah, hopefully you set the BS bearing. =/

Silly thought, but embarassingly enough, it happened to me...do you have oil squirters? I had this issue with my 6 bolt swap only to find out I forgot to install oil squirters and didn't block the ports! Oil would never make it up the block, hahaha.

But if you can get oil up to the head with the hand pump method, I would start looking towards a bad sensor or connection to the sensor.

ok im having the same problem my oil pressure guage isnt moving so im thinking about doing this is do i have to drain all of the oil out of the engine then pump in 5 quarts?

sorry guys i know i posted yesterday but i really wanna try and figure this out. me and my dad installed the engine everything went good it started right up and i noticed the oil guage wasnt working so i turned the car off and i just figured it was the oil sensor switch so i replaced that today and no oil pressure. i decided to pump the oil from the pressure guage hole and nothing again. i started the motor and popped the oil cap i can see oil slinging everywhere. i havent replaced the pressure gauge sender yet could that be it? it seems like when i started the car as soon as this belt started screaming the oil light pops on the belt is by the crankshaft pulley would that have anything to do with it? the motor isnt ticking or anything its got plenty of oil in it

is there anyway that since the guage isnt working ints making the oil light pop on?

Did you prime the engine before starting?

There's two accessory belts - one for the power steering pump and the other for the alternator. Try and figure out which one and tension it some more. My guess is the alternator belt.

Does the wire look ok? Have you tried testing the resistance on it to make sure there's nothing wrong with it between the sensor end and the ECU end?

i pulled the engine fuse and crank on it a couple times then i started it. if the oil pressure gauge sensor is broke would it make the oil light pop on? im thinking about replacing that to

thanks man im gonna try that out if i go buy a autometer oil pressure guage does it come with the sensor?

The gauge should come with a sending unit. You can put it in the same place as the OEM one.

If you are seeing oil flying around the cams with the oil cap off, then you have oil pressure. Keep in mind it should be pretty low at idle. But just to be safe, I would get an aftermarket gauge to verify the pressure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back