The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Reasons for boost controller failure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yepes281

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
H-Town, Texas
So ive gone through 3 boost controllers in the past 2 months. Is there anything that would cause boost controller failure?

2 were turbo xs, and 1 hallman that was only a few months old.

Verify your wastegate functions properly. TurboXS units actually failing wouldn't surprise me, but a Hallman would.

The wastegates working good, im running off wastegate pressure right now.

How were you referencing boost to the MBC?

Uhhhh you mean like, side nipple wastegate to side nipple boost controller, bottom nipple boost controller to nipple on turbo?

are you getting the boost reference for the wastegate from directly off the compressor/j-pipe or somewhere off the intake manifold?

Don't know about the XS MBC, but Hallman, not possible. The reason for this is simple:
--Isnside Hallman you have a spring and a ball/facing the feeding nipple-from comp. cover/ and then another nipple/90* off the inlet one. As soos as the air overcomes the spring pressure it's going out to the WG... That is it.
--There are several things to look for, assuming that your WG is 100% working:
- Both nipples are threaded into the body of MBC. They have on O-ring at the end. It is however possible, that inlet and or outlet nipples got a little loose and you have a minor leak there, but this will cause overboosting you basically bleeding more pressure , before it reaches the WG therefore increasing PSI at which the WG opens.,

I had a case in which my Hallman/in-cockpit/, got one side a little loose/where the cable was attached and I was doing 28 PSI on pump and certainly I wasn't happy...

-- Second, there is a bleeder hole on the nipple to the WG- it should be there. If someone put another nipple with no hole, or the hole is closed for some reason, that will cause over boosting, because between shifts the excess air bleeds form there and if this isnot happening you'll be hitting huge spikes in boost......

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back