The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need some opinions/expertise (New Engine)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa99GST

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2010
Des Moines, Iowa
So, I bought my 99 GST last March (09) and the engine blew up a month later (Hole in both the front and back side of the block, and obliterated the #2 cylinder) Soooooo, it seems to me that I need a new engine, and it is about time to start hoarding pieces as I can't afford to buy a performance engine but would like something a little quicke than stock.

Obviously I'm going to need a new block/head, I've been talking to someone on here that is willing to sell me a block/head for $250 + shipping out of PA (Needs machined and internals I believe), any input on if this is worth it?

What parts should I be looking at as far as internals go if I'm wanting to push between 400-500 HP?

Also how hard/costly is it to go AWD on my GST? :hellyeah: Just thinking LOL, probably not going to happen, but if it isn't TOO much of an expense, then who knows.

(Keep in mind, I'm gonna be trying to piece stuff together over time, I have nowhere near the budget to buy everything all at once unfortunately, which is why it has already been parked for over a year :cry:)

Thanks guys!

So, I bought my 99 GST last March (09) and the engine blew up a month later (Hole in both the front and back side of the block, and obliterated the #2 cylinder) Soooooo, it seems to me that I need a new engine, and it is about time to start hoarding pieces as I can't afford to buy a performance engine but would like something a little quicke than stock.

Obviously I'm going to need a new block/head, I've been talking to someone on here that is willing to sell me a block/head for $250 + shipping out of PA (Needs machined and internals I believe), any input on if this is worth it?

What parts should I be looking at as far as internals go if I'm wanting to push between 400-500 HP?

Also how hard/costly is it to go AWD on my GST? :hellyeah: Just thinking LOL, probably not going to happen, but if it isn't TOO much of an expense, then who knows.

(Keep in mind, I'm gonna be trying to piece stuff together over time, I have nowhere near the budget to buy everything all at once unfortunately, which is why it has already been parked for over a year :cry:)

Thanks guys!

as far as the motor goes, it seems like a decent deal. what all comes with the block/head? 6-bolt or 7? i have a 6-bolt im trying to sell with head. id sell it to you for $300 with head, cams, gears, intake manifold, master gasket set (with head gasket, some are already installed), block, pistons, rods, oil pan, water pipe (for the engine you stoner LOL), fuel rail and injectors. im located in ames so you wouldnt need to pay for shipping, just come pick it up. the block could use some machining just to be safe, but has a balance shaft elim kit and EGR block off plate on the intake. pistons need rings and a FULL bearing kit. ill include the crank, but its probably useless because its been run low on oil and destroyed one of the main bearings, causing it to groove into the crank. if you know someone who can machine it for you, more power to you.
as far as internals go you could probably get the 2g/1g combo with supporting fuel mods to make 400hp decently safe (its a dizzum, so i say decently LOL) if you want it to be reliable, i would save up for some upgraded internals of course, pistons, rods and maybe some SLIGHTLY bigger cas and gears with head porting. there is a guy named sean on our website clubdsta.net (his SN is also sean, but cant remember what follows after it) who converted his gst spyder into a GSX spyder. he's a machinist so he saved up quite a bundle doing most of it himself, but ive heard they can go between 2-5k for a good conversion, and at that price, you might as well buy a GSX.

Yeah, I'll probably just leave the AWD conversion as a possibility for the future haha, I'm more focused on getting the car running again right now than putting $2-5k into an AWD conversion.

I might be interested in your 6-bolt, I'll have to look into it. How much does it cost usually to do the necessary work to get the 6 bolt to drop into a 2nd gen? I've had my car for a little over a year and have loved DSMs for a while, but I've never been much of a mechanic type, so I'm not good with that kinda stuff =( What else can you tell me about the engine? Miles? Any issues (cracks or weak points)? Also, like I said I'm not too mechanically inclined so sorry if this is a dumb question LOL, but what is the purpose of the EGR block off plate?

Thanks for the help =)

Yeah, I'll probably just leave the AWD conversion as a possibility for the future haha, I'm more focused on getting the car running again right now than putting $2-5k into an AWD conversion.

I might be interested in your 6-bolt, I'll have to look into it. How much does it cost usually to do the necessary work to get the 6 bolt to drop into a 2nd gen? I've had my car for a little over a year and have loved DSMs for a while, but I've never been much of a mechanic type, so I'm not good with that kinda stuff =( What else can you tell me about the engine? Miles? Any issues (cracks or weak points)? Also, like I said I'm not too mechanically inclined so sorry if this is a dumb question LOL, but what is the purpose of the EGR block off plate?

Thanks for the help =)
the car had 140xxx miles on it when i finally took it out, and im sure it ws the original engine without a rebuild. doesnt have any cracks as far as i could tell, and its dirty from a leaky head gasket and pouring oil onto it. as far as dropping in the 6 bolt, DSTA - View topic - 6 bolt swap i asked the same question awhile back when i saw a cheap 2g on CL. im sure you can find some how-to posts on here as well about how to do it properly. the EGR block off plate just blocks off the intake mani EGR valve. its what you would call a "free mod". the EGR is a power robbing device on 1g's, but im unsure about 2g's. but people have been taking out charcoal canisters and i think you can block off the EGR valves as well, but im not sure. whenever you have some free time you are welcome to come up and take a look at the block. the head i was told has already been rebuilt and the surface was within spec when my buddy measured it, but thats up to you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back