The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

I made a serious Uh-oh (Ruined axle nut threads)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweek814

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2009
Charleston, South_Carolina
Alright, so I tried to beat out the axle from the wheel bearing with a hammer, AFTER completely removing the axle nut. Yeah well now I ####ed up the end of the axle (threads) and the nut won't screw back on..... And the axle is still in the wheel bearing.

Can I re-thread the end of the axle? or am I screwed and need to replace it altogether?

or you can try tapering the end with a grinder (not a hand held one) i used to do that at a metal shop I worked at. I think re-threading is the way to go though...

here's a little pic of what I'm talking about; axle is vertical

/ \
|=|
|=|
|=|

+1 on the grinding the end of the threads. I have done that as well and i used a hand held grinder. Just taper the end of the threads and carefully put the nut back on and it will be fine.

If you mushroomed the end, it's going to be hard/impossible to retap.

Next time you know to leave the axle nut on sticking a bit past the end of the axle so if you ruin it, it's an easy and cheap replacement.

Mushroomed indeed.. front passenger side... haven't tried to retap or anything yet, just got a little frustrated at the exact moment I had a hammer in my hand. Worst part is the axle still didn't budge.

I guess I cant #### it up anymore than it already is so it wont hurt to grind the end down and see what I can do I guess? I'll take pics tomorrow, The threads are pretty ####ed because of the cotter pin holes, they kinda caved in causing the threads to wave.

welded with rust.. it took me 3 days of pb blaster soaking, and 2 broken breaker bars, just to get the nut off!

well since u really F'ed it up put some serous heat to it to get it out then replace the axle. Make sure u get it as red as u can without melting it and hammer the hell out of it. If it's messed up that bad go to town on it!!

Alright, well I ruined both my axle nuts, and re-####ed my axle threads. Here's how;

So after about a good hour of straightening out the threads by hand with a small hack saw, hammer, and chisel.. I finally got the nut to go back on right... well the axle is still rusted into the hub so i had to try to beat it out again, this time with the nut halfway threaded on. Well I beat the piss out of it with a hammer and stripped the inside of the nut. And re-####ed up the threads on the axle...... OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Is there any possible way to get this axle out or do I have to replace the whole car. New axle price around $50-$70 so I'm not too worked up, but this is really delaying my tranny swap.

Last edited:
Brand New GSP axles from advance are $70 each.. Just buy new ones, plus its a lifetime warranty.

well since u really F'ed it up put some serous heat to it to get it out then replace the axle. Make sure u get it as red as u can without melting it and hammer the hell out of it. If it's messed up that bad go to town on it!!

I dont have torches but I beat the living #### out of it with a hammer, didn't budge, and now there is definitely no saving the axle LOL. I went to advanced an got the heaviest pulley puller they had and put it on the hub and tried to push the axle out. Broke one of my socket wrenches tightening it down. Then got out the tire iron because I broke my breaker bar the other day on the axle nut. So I tightened down the puller with my tire iron and a 4ft cheater pipe slipped over it, untill the ####ING PULLER SNAPPED INTO A MILLION PEICES!!!

Im just taking the whole hub/bearing/axle assembly out as one and replacing it unless I can get it separated after removal. But I'm gonna need a new axle for sure, and a few new sets of tools.

edit: I have a 96 avenger v6 parts car, so Im 99% sure the axle wont fit, but Im pretty sure the wheel bearing and hubs are interchangeable?

If you mushroomed the end, it's going to be hard/impossible to retap.

Next time you know to leave the axle nut on sticking a bit past the end of the axle so if you ruin it, it's an easy and cheap replacement.

I just did the same thing on my drivers side CV shaft its a good thing it already needed to be replaced and I had a dremel with cut off wheels to get it out.

^Yeah this is funny because now I have to replace my passenger side hub and bearing... when my drivers side has needed to be replaced since I bought the car.

Just order a new axle, hub, and knuckle from Mitsubishi Graveyard. That's what I did.

DSMGraveyard wants $149 for a USED axle. I didn't even look at wheel bearings. Found used knuckle full assembly's w/hub on ebay for $40-$50.

Last edited:
^Yeah this is funny because now I have to replace my passenger side hub and bearing... when my drivers side has needed to be replaced since I bought the car.

DSMGraveyard wants $149 for a USED axle. I didn't even look at wheel bearings. Found used knuckle full assembly's w/hub on ebay for $40-$50.

Well he did say Mitsubishi Graveyard.

dsm graveyard and mitsu graveyard are completely different.

They will be cheaper at mistu graveyard

Do you have to call mitsu graveyard? I've never dealt with these guys and I couldn't find the part online.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back