The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Turboing the 420A (Parts List)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boot92

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2009
Brentwood, Tennessee
Ok. I've done the first Rule of searching, and yet to find a straight answer.

Just bought my first 2G\420A. 49k Miles on motor, 216k on chassis, pulled Valve Cover, and Oil pan, and was Clean as a whistle.

I've put zero wrench time on any sort of turbo car, and I've only driven one turbo car which was a Bone Stock 1994 RX7 Twin Turbo, I did Drive it quite a bit tho.

So that Being said, I know the basic's of turbocharging, yanno block can only hold soo much PSI or BOOST before it blows a HG or throws a rod or something, and you need inter cooler, and run Premium gas and blah blah good idea to have head studs yada yada etc etc..

I'm looking for a complete detailed parts list for a Turboing a 420A.

I'm not talking anything crazy.

Just running 5-8....at most 10 PSI. or what ever would be safe to run a stock motor (Stock w\ Head Studs, and a Good Head Gasket that is) I want to be able to drive it Daily Still with out worrying about it blowing.

so Obvious parts

14B Turbo (would it be a good idea to get something smaller or would it be fine?)
BOV (if turbo doesn't have stock BOV which mine does.)
Turbo Manifold
Turbo Down Pipe
FMIC
IC Piping
Fuel Pump (What LPH rating of a pump should i get? the usual 255lph?)
Injectors (Do I need it if I'm not running Crazy Boost?)
Boost Controller (Heard it wasn't necessary w\ a stock BOV?)

and then add in things like

Spark Plugs + Wires
Free Mods
Intake
Exhaust System (Most likely a Home Made Side Exit Exhaust LOL)

What am I missing? and do you think I'd be insane? I don't know much about the 420A, but I had a 4G37 1.8L that was rumored could hold zero boost at all but it's been proven you can drive it daily on a max of 8lbs PSI on a stock motor except a fresh Head Gasket w\ Head Studs (Usually a Thicker head gasket to lower the Compression Ratio)

Please help, I did use the Search button but couldn't Find anything.

they need a Detailed Standard Part List for turboing your 420A that a Turbo Noob such as myself could understand *Hint Hint* :sneaky:

If It's too much of a hassle tho Drive the motor hard till it blows up or Sell it, and then buy a Turbo 6 Bolt swap, and drop it in there.

No offense 420A-guys but I'm not a Fan of a 420A just came across a Nice DSM for a Nice price LOL.

If you are serious about turbo'ing your car, Then send me a PM on here, And I will get you in contact with a complete list needed. I also have everything for a 420a including a fully built longblock, But I am not going to get into all of that, In this thread. Send me a message if you are interested in actually following through with the turbo setup though and I will help you the entire way from beginning to end.

The little thing on the side of the turbo isn't a BOV it's an internal wastegate.

You can buy a whole setup on ebay for pretty cheap, probably the best option... Worst case you have to buy a new turbo if the one in the ebay kit dies.

Also, go with a walbro 225LPH-HP fuel pump. You can go with a SFMU and get away with stock injectors, but I have some RC 440's that would probably be perfect for your setup. PM me if interested on them.

The little thing on the side of the turbo isn't a BOV it's an internal wastegate.

You can buy a whole setup on ebay for pretty cheap, probably the best option... Worst case you have to buy a new turbo if the one in the ebay kit dies.

Also, go with a walbro 225LPH-HP fuel pump. You can go with a SFMU and get away with stock injectors, but I have some RC 440's that would probably be perfect for your setup. PM me if interested on them.

Thank you, see thats what I need. I thought internal\External Wastegates were both called BOV's

It's one of those things, people will think I'm stupid, but its not that I'm stupid its just No one has ever told me otherwise LOL.

Thank you, see thats what I need. I thought internal\External Wastegates were both called BOV's

It's one of those things, people will think I'm stupid, but its not that I'm stupid its just No one has ever told me otherwise LOL.

BOV = blow-off valve.
WG = wastegate.

Similar function... but totally different use. BOV's are on the 'cold' side of things, to release excess pressure in the charge pipes during throttle movements. WG's are on the 'hot' side of things, to regulate the amount of exhaust gases going through the turbocharger, and thus how how much boost is made.

VelocitàPaola;152082753 said:
BOV = blow-off valve.
WG = wastegate.

Similar function... but totally different use. BOV's are on the 'cold' side of things, to release excess pressure in the charge pipes during throttle movements. WG's are on the 'hot' side of things, to regulate the amount of exhaust gases going through the turbocharger, and thus how how much boost is made.

ohhh ok.

See I don't know much about the little details about turbocharging, and that's just something I've never learned, I always thought Blow Off Valve was basically slang for Waste Gate haha.

Thanks

Last edited:
So that Being said, I know the basic's of turbocharging, yanno block can only hold soo much PSI or BOOST before it blows a HG or throws a rod or something, and you need inter cooler, and run Premium gas and blah blah good idea to have head studs yada yada etc etc..

??? what ???

I suggest you learn more about how a turbo system works before you move on this project. not just what you need to put a turbo in your car and how much boost you can run. there is a butt load of web sites that will tell you every thing a bout a turbo, yes they all make boost but different turbos have different flow rates at the same psiOMG...plus A/F ratio, injector flow/duty cycle, etc. i can go on and on but i wont...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you at least have a basic understanding, which is all it takes to spark a build!

I'll tell you right off the bat, you probably won't want to use a 14b (or any mitsu) turbo because there are very few, if any, turbo manifolds for the 420a that aren't T3/T4.

You don't need injectors if you keep it under 8psi, anything more and you will.

Boost controller is optional. If you use an external wastegate (one that bolts onto the manifold and is separate from the turbo) you can change the boost by using different rate springs in it.

Unfortunately you won't be swapping a 4g63 motor in this car, not without making some MAJOR mods.

Don't worry too much about engine durability...I started with a healthy 420a and poppped in a new head gasket, studs, resurfaced the head, yadda yadda...and have been running 7psi for about 6-7k miles now. A buddy of mine has a turbo'd 420a with over 230k on it! They're proven, you just have to be smart about it. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions!

Seems you are pretty unsure about our motors as pretty much nothing relates to the 4g63 other than you use a turbo...etc. There are numerous threads on this exact question. You wont need head studs to run a stock engine. You also wont need injectors as our stock will be fine.

Turbo
Downpipe
Intercooler(can use stock turbo) w/piping
12:1 fmu
Manifold
Wastegate with 7psi spring
255lph hp fuel pump(modify stock bracket)
FCD(depending on what year it is)
Gauges(not necessary but nice to have)
Oil lines
Fuel lines

Our engines are relatively simple and reliable when maintained. They can also make some awesome power.

On the 420a Can't you use the stock 4g63 Turbo Mani? The reason I ask is for my knowledge, and the OP's. My friend brad owns a 1998 420a eclipse and after driving my 96 4g he wants boost. I was gonna hand him my turbo mani once I get the 6bolt in my car. It has an allready ported 2g stock mani which will be fine for me for now. I figured he could use my mani. I could have sworn I read somwhere you can bolt the 4g mani straight onto a 420a.

On the 420a Can't you use the stock 4g63 Turbo Mani? The reason I ask is for my knowledge, and the OP's. My friend brad owns a 1998 420a eclipse and after driving my 96 4g he wants boost. I was gonna hand him my turbo mani once I get the 6bolt in my car. It has an allready ported 2g stock mani which will be fine for me for now. I figured he could use my mani. I could have sworn I read somwhere you can bolt the 4g mani straight onto a 420a.

That's a no go. The ports won't line up :cry:

Aww that blows. Can anyone post a picture of exhuast sides ports on a 420a?

I think its funny that the 4g turbo mani will fit a saturn head with minimal to no modification but not a 420a.

Aww that blows. Can anyone post a picture of exhuast sides ports on a 420a?

I think its funny that the 4g turbo mani will fit a saturn head with minimal to no modification but not a 420a.

Why are you so surprised? They're two completely different engines designed by two completely different companies...

Here's a picture of the exhaust ports on the 420A cylinder head:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kAI4GIVzvMs/R1Q_aUWV7zI/AAAAAAAAASA/IS8zMxvR5Yc/s1600-R/car+work+065.jpg

the only way i've seen a 4g mani fit on a 420a is when someone cuts off both flanges and weld's the 420a flange onto the 4g manifold.

VelocitàPaola;152151562 said:
Why are you so surprised? They're two completely different engines designed by two completely different companies...

Here's a picture of the exhaust ports on the 420A cylinder head:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kAI4GIVzvMs/R1Q_aUWV7zI/AAAAAAAAASA/IS8zMxvR5Yc/s1600-R/car+work+065.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Trying to help my friend who has the 420a turbo his car with my hand me downs once I get the 6bolt in my car with a e316g.

So Far we have gotten him:
MBC
1g BOV
T-25 Turbo (Still on my Car)
SS Oil Feed and Return Lines
Spare 1g Side Mount Intercooler

I am not really worried about pipe routing I can figure all that out when it comes time to actually turbo his car.

I just find it odd that the Saturn Head has similar port spacing while the 420a ports are further apart. I guess we are gonna grab an ebay manifold for him as he doesnt have a big budget and we are trying to reuse as many parts that I have laying around as possible.

They sell the flange to the 420a motor. If your very very good with cutting and welding then you can take the stock 4g63 manifold, cut the flange off and weld the new one on. I've never done it but have heard of people doing it. The piece isn't too expensive either. Again ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR GOOD AT WELDING.

If you are serious about turbo'ing your car, Then send me a PM on here, And I will get you in contact with a complete list needed. I also have everything for a 420a including a fully built longblock, But I am not going to get into all of that, In this thread. Send me a message if you are interested in actually following through with the turbo setup though and I will help you the entire way from beginning to end.
Hey man I would like a list if you still have it
[email protected]

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back