The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Painting a car with a paint brush.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Equals Two

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 12, 2009
SLC, Utah
Well, my Talon is completely dead now and needs to have the drivetrain pulled....etc. The car is pretty messed up (has a clean carfax though!) but really isn't worth a heck of a lot.

So, I had a good bet with my friend that I could paint my Geo with spray paint and make it look nice. He lost, and I had bragging rights to the best looking spray painted car in town. I am a fairly experienced painter so, I have that as an advantage.

Anyway, I am repainting my Talon and was going to just do it in the paint booth with the gun, etc. But, that's entirely too easy and really boring. Not to mention my booth is actually taken by another car right now. So, I decided to paint my car using a brush this time. I want some more bragging rights.

I'm curious to know if anyone has been dumb enough to try this, and what your results have been.

I already began painting, so no need to dissuade me.

There were tonnage of stories of car owners in general taking Rustsoleum enamel paints and rolling their cars with it with a 4.1 ratio of mineral spirits an the paint - getting the paint down to water consistency where it actually flows over the surface then you use high density foam rollers and roll the paint out.

Thing about using Rustoleum is that the stuff fades quick in the hot sun.

You definitely need a good arm and lots of money to rattle-can a car to look good - so, no "orange peel" "fish eyes" and no "roping" allowed with that technique.

Wildberry mix. I ruined my blender cup to make sure I got the paint to mix well. Looks rather tasty in the blender and makes me want to eat it sometimes...:D Rust Oleum Royal Blue 60%, Safety Red 15%, Glossy Black 10%, Mineral Spirits 15%

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I couldn't get a good picture, but you can tell it's at least been painted. It's not bad looking for a first coat.

wow this is hilarious cause it actually looks pretty damn good. put some pics up when your done.

I have a Fast and Furious Model car of Paul walker's 95 eclipse. I used a paint brush on it. Even did it in Lime Green! LOL I know its not the same thing, but still cool. I think you should just try it. Def post pics man! Good Luck!!!

It would be better to thin it out (1:1), and spray it on, but good luck.

looks good! a friend of mine used a brush when he painted the front bumper on his 1g and it turned out really well, there were almost no brush marks. you just have to take your time

it might have the chance of looking good for about 6 months. after that point, its gonna start to fade and look like garbage. youre better off ordering a paint gun from harbor freight for like 15 bucks and buying some halfway decent paint that should last you at least 3 years. Mine looks awesome and I only spent about 120 total on it.

This is after 11 coats worth of paint.. Pretty nothing in terms of brush strokes, but it's freakin dusty inside my home. Kind of makes me mad I'm going to have wetsand a lot.

it might have the chance of looking good for about 6 months. after that point, its gonna start to fade and look like garbage. youre better off ordering a paint gun from harbor freight for like 15 bucks and buying some halfway decent paint that should last you at least 3 years. Mine looks awesome and I only spent about 120 total on it.

My mailbox still looks good with Rust Oleum, and it's 15 years old, so I assume this paint will do just as well.... Not saying the paint gun way isn't easier. But I've already got a gun and compressor, and paint booth. Just want to be able to say I painted my car in my house...

nice.

I don't know what happened, but there was a definite major malfunction with the paint job. It's BROWN!! In the pics and even in person inside, it looked wildberry to me, but I took the fender and bumper outside today to see how glossy it would look, and it was the color of a Hershey's Candy Bar, and had absolutely no hint of any purple.

I am really disappointed with this...and there's no way I am sporting a brown DSM. No "Chocolate Rage, or Poopy Thunder" or anything. So, after looking at my old Talon, I've decided to break down and buy some black paint and start over. It's okay, I can't find 2gb headlights anyway for less than $200, so I am fine for now. The black paint is about $90 a gallon for a good quality glossy paint, and that's what I want.

So, really this is just turning into a paint my car progress thread instead of being entertaining. Sorry guys.

I don't know what happened, but there was a definite major malfunction with the paint job. It's BROWN!! In the pics and even in person inside, it looked wildberry to me, but I took the fender and bumper outside today to see how glossy it would look, and it was the color of a Hershey's Candy Bar, and had absolutely no hint of any purple.

I am really disappointed with this...and there's no way I am sporting a brown DSM. No "Chocolate Rage, or Poopy Thunder" or anything. So, after looking at my old Talon, I've decided to break down and buy some black paint and start over. It's okay, I can't find 2gb headlights anyway for less than $200, so I am fine for now. The black paint is about $90 a gallon for a good quality glossy paint, and that's what I want.

So, really this is just turning into a paint my car progress thread instead of being entertaining. Sorry guys.

ROFLROFLROFL

Sorry, that was actually pretty funny "chocolate rage". What's wrong with brown, it's not like it's slow :p

I guess you should invest in those "natural light" light bulbs. The ones that apparently show how color would look with sunlight.

ROFLROFLROFL

Sorry, that was actually pretty funny "chocolate rage". What's wrong with brown, it's not like it's slow :p

I guess you should invest in those "natural light" light bulbs. The ones that apparently show how color would look with sunlight.

Ironically, that is what I have in my house. It's called "sunlight" bulbs...

Ironically, that is what I have in my house. It's called "sunlight" bulbs...

LOL well then I guess your wildberries went bad.

Hey, even sport cars have had brown. One of the OLD Vette models came in a turd brown. There are 2 local to me if they still have them. Passed them everyday going to school.

How could you forget to read the label on your wildberry paint that says "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING" I thought everyone knew that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back