The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

E brake won't work. How to replace it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan98gst

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 24, 2008
chicago, Illinois
So my e brake does not work as good as it did a couple of years ago. it holds ok when the front of the car is facing down but not when the rear is.
maybe there is a easy fix insted of changeing the whole rear brake system:banghead:

:hmm: So the handle is nice and tight when you pull it up huh? :aha: The only other thing I can think of is that the rear brakes might just need done. How long has it been since the rear brakes have been serviced? Maybe the rotors are glazed etc. causing the pads to just not have enough good surface to hold to. Since the car is always going forward and the brakes are bedded in that way, it can hold, but going backwards it simply cannot hold. :idontknow:

yes it is ROFL
yea i have never changed any of the brakes eaven the front, its all original stuff from 1998:thumb:
i guess its about time, is there a thread of how to change the rear brakes?

the e-brake is not actually the rear caliper. refer to luv2rallye's post. They are inside of the rear rotor and a separate system, because they are mechanical. Calipers run off your brake lines and are hydraulic. The whole point is that there is a second system in case the hydraulic one fails. Until you can fix it doesnt putting it in gear and using your ebrake hold it?

the e-brake is not actually the rear caliper. refer to luv2rallye's post. They are inside of the rear rotor and a separate system, because they are mechanical. Calipers run off your brake lines and are hydraulic. The whole point is that there is a second system in case the hydraulic one fails. Until you can fix it doesnt putting it in gear and using your ebrake hold it?

i have a turbo timer so i cant leave it in gear and the e brake can just slightly hold it.
im going to have to take it apart to see exactly what s the deal

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back