The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Waste gate Solenoid and bosst control?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidalindsey

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2008
Norfolk, Virginia
As I just got my 98 GST I am doing the Stage 0 upgrade path and I got a problem with step 7, Removing the BCS Restrictor.
Well not so much the Restrictor but the lines that go to and from the solenoid are missing. The waste gate selenoid is just sitting there with no lines hooked up to it.
The line from the wastegate is connected straight to the j-pipe. Is there any adverse affects with this?
I plan on getting some hose later and routing them to factory spec, is it okay to drive they way it is hooked up now?
Also I found this in the car it looks to be some kind of boost controller, I have'nt seen one like this. is it missing a piece? I would not know how to adjust it...
Thanks.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ha just realized I miss spelled boost, man i'm tired.

Everything is fine the way it's hooked up. The picture you posted doesn't appear to be a MBC but it does have a flow direction however. :hmm:

Its fine to drive without it hooked up, the wastegate actuator will control the boost (I think its 7psi on a stock T25) with the BCS you would get a few more psi. The BCS was probably disconnected because someone had a manual boost controller installed before. That boost controller looks like its missing the knob. If you plan on getting a new boost controller you will not need to re connect the BCS.

having the wastegate actuator connected straight to a boost source(j-pipe,the way you have it now) will only allow as much boost the stock wastegate spring will allow.In the first pic,the part with the white arrow is a boost controller,seems to be missing the knob to adjust boost,the part next to it looks to be your stock boost control solenoid,since you have a 2g,you should reinstall(just the wires) it to avoid getting a check engine light,if you don't have one already.

edit: ack,synthetek beat me to it

The purpose of the BCS is to bleed off some of the boost pressure, raising the amount of boost it takes to open the wastegate. When the ECU hears too much knock, it closes off the BCS, to lower the boost. Without the BCS installed you are stuck at the stock pressure of the wastegate, which is only ~7psi. You really need to get your manual boost controller installed so you can put the boost back up where it belongs.

Oh okay, thanks guys. I will get some emission hose from advance auto parts tomorrow and just route the lines to factory spec for now. I dont trust using the red thing cause I see no way of adjusting it.

As we all stated, you don't need to run the BCS at all, just get a new MBC and put it at 14psi after you get a boost gauge.

UPDATE:
I Removed the BCS restrictor and hooked up some lines to factory spec.
The car holds 100KPA/14PSI to red line.
If I get a MBC how much boost can I run safety?
I was looking at a HALLMAN PRO KIT from STM, are they any good?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back