The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Not boosting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMe36

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2008
San Jacinto, California
Hi, im in a process of buying a gs-t but i have a few questions..

i test drove it and didnt feel like it pulled nor i even heard the turbo.
Wondering if it can be fixed. Maybe boost leak? idk im new to 4g63 engines, turbo engines for that matter.

but here are some pics, i saw that some of the lines arent connected right im guessing... and could this be aslo why the check engine light is on.
car has 95xxx miles, evo lll gt turbo?, manual boost controller, pretty much stock . Car ran fine, no funny noises of any sort, jus didnt boost.

I just wanna know if thats why it didnt boost. thanks..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

check for boost leaks and see if the turbo has any shaft play

Well i havent bought the car yet. So i cant do any of those.

If u look at the pictures closely, there are vacuum lines i think, that are connected to anything. and look at the turbo, isnt there a hose supposed to go there?

The hose on the valve cover is supposed to hook up to your intake. As for the one on the turbo I think the hose that is supposed to go there is a coolant hose.

the vacuum line on the side of the valve cover is the breather which should be connected to the intake just down from where the bov recirc house connects, it's ok to be open at the valve cover(not ideal, some people put small valve cover breathers there) BUT; the other end at the intake tube (if not connected or plugged) would suck in unmetered air which would effect how the cars runs, the tube at the back of the turbo looks like a coolant line, but they have been diconnected and left there because they found it easier to just run a new/different one, and i dont see a wastegate acuater on the turbo(may just not be visible in the pics) but it would not hold boost if the wastegate was allowed to just stay open. But you did mention a manual boost controller so it must have a wg, they may just have the boost turned down which i would consider "suspect". There may be other things wrong that the pictures do not tell us, so, to answer your question(can it be fixed) MY answer would be......i dont know;), but if it runs decent even with drawing in unmetered air then it might be worth a look........ IF the price is right. You should be able feel the turbo spool up, although you may not hear it. Ask 'em to turn up the manual boost controller and see what happens. they might have just thrown the turbo on with no supporting mods so it cant be turned up very far, but it should still be able to hit 10-11 psi, which you would feel, i would think. hope this helps, the end(friggin novel!)

Wheres that coolant hose supposed to go?

and there are a lot of lines that are arent connected anywhere, lines jus chillen on its own.

Should i buy this car? he selling it for $3500

Wheres that coolant hose supposed to go?

and there are a lot of lines that are arent connected anywhere, lines jus chillen on its own.

Should i buy this car? he selling it for $3500

check for shaft play, just tell the guy if he really wants to sell it, you gotta take 15 mins and remove the air intake to check for any shaft play.

Heh, That car is hacked LOL! Looks like a 2G also. I love the "evo III GT" never seen that before ROFL
The turbo doesnt even look like its being water cooled like its supposed to be, if it was, then the car would run out of coolant very quickly!
One thing I could tell you is, if you bought that car you would have to change that turbo out, and learn the vacuum lines so that you can re-do it all.
BTW 2G's need an install kit to have a 14B 16, 18, 20G ETC.

Wait a second,
In the 1st picture it looks like that coolant line
that runs to the turbo isn't even hooked up to the thermostat housing
like it should be..
I own a 1g so it might be different, someone
correct me if i'm wrong.
But it looks like there's no coolant going to the turbo.

I don't see a wastegate, internal or external, anywhere in any of those pictures. That would be the boosting problem.

I wouldn't buy the car if I were you. $3500 is WAY too much for something that could easily require $1000+ to be running right.

Look around for a better deal.

I wouldn't buy the car if I were you. $3500 is WAY too much for something that could easily require $1000+ to be running right.

Look around for a better deal.

I agree with XTC on this one, 3500 isnt a great deal. I would keep looking around for a car that runs normally for 3500.

Well i called the guy up and told him what was wrong.
So he tells me that his dad took the car to a mechanic and canceled the turbo??
so idk.. can u do that? he says it was '' too fast for his old man " ### every since he bought another car, his dad has been driving it around.

LOL i would buy it for 2 grand :)

ill tell him to lower the price to $2000

i mean its a super clean car.

if not ill look around and be patient:thumb:

HAHAHA "cancell the turbo". The only way to bypass a turbo is to get a header put on that doesn't allow for the turbo to be installed. When the motor is on, the turbo will spin regardless and needs oil. Disconnecting the wastegate will keep the exhaust flow, for the most part, out of the turbine. It doesn't need the coolant line hooked up but it does help out. I would check for shaft play and have him get multiple pictures of the turbo setup. The EVOIII GT turbo is an ebay POS. Takes seperate rebuild kits to put it back together. Chances are it's going out or it will soon.

If the nipple on the intake isn't plugged up, then you'll have unmetered air entering the engine which will make the car run funky. I would also ask for all recipts for parts and work done.

Also, tell him to put the wastegate back on and hooked up. Tell him to raise the boost to 15psi assuming it has a boost gauge and see how it feels then. Listen for any whining sounds (metal on metal). Look for blue smoke out the rear when boosting.

HAHAHA "cancell the turbo". The only way to bypass a turbo is to get a header put on that doesn't allow for the turbo to be installed. When the motor is on, the turbo will spin regardless and needs oil. Disconnecting the wastegate will keep the exhaust flow, for the most part, out of the turbine. It doesn't need the coolant line hooked up but it does help out. I would check for shaft play and have him get multiple pictures of the turbo setup. The EVOIII GT turbo is an ebay POS. Takes seperate rebuild kits to put it back together. Chances are it's going out or it will soon.

If the nipple on the intake isn't plugged up, then you'll have unmetered air entering the engine which will make the car run funky. I would also ask for all recipts for parts and work done.

Also, tell him to put the wastegate back on and hooked up. Tell him to raise the boost to 15psi assuming it has a boost gauge and see how it feels then. Listen for any whining sounds (metal on metal). Look for blue smoke out the rear when boosting.

LOL.
Well when i drove it, it drove fine jus didnt boost. i will give him a call when i can. or even go to his house.

I would be pissed to be scammed into buying a dead turbo. While you check for shaft play, look at the fins and see if they are chipped, bent or just missing. See if they come into contact with the housing as well. At least it has the install kit to get a real 16g on there :)

If everything else is hunky-dory, you're looking at going over just about everything in the engine bay to see what's been tampered with. You're bound to find something amiss. The turbo may be blown, or it may have worked satisfactorily, and someone honestly did think the best solution was to remove the wastegate actuator and coolant line. Far from the best idea, but whatever. If you've got the time, it's your call. But one thing's for sure, I will be personally offended if you pay what he's asking. Two grand is even a bit much for my tastes, $1800 sounds doable. There are just too many things that could be wrong. For an eBay turbo alone, you'd have to pay me to take it. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back