The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

First mods and tune up for my eclipse GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noah360

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2009
Reed City, Michigan
Hey all,
17, first car is a 96 eclipse gst, got it cheap didn't know what i bought really.
Anyways, i know it is a quick little car and it can be quicker. Right now i can't even spin the tires on it, sure i have grippy tires but common. I've replaced the top left control arm, replaced spark plug and wires with NGK stuff on this site, new brakes in the front, n thats it.
131,000 miles
no rust
Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30
custom stereo by mbquart, alpine, and kicker.

I would like to make it as quick as possible for under a grand. whether that be build the piss outta the turbo so i can shove more air down it's throat
Or do new headers, exhaust, etc

Also i'm sure the intercooler pipes stock *rubber ones* are not doing the job so i'm gona replace with the 2.5 or 3'' stainless or aluminum, recomendation on the diameter? and replace all the vacuum lines ofcourse b/c those are inexpensive and also shot.

So i appeciate the input, ask questions as needed and i will try my best to answer.

If you would SEARCH then you would know how to spend your money. The first step towards making your car fast, is do ALL the maintance you can to make it drive and run well. Also, a good site to use is VFAQ.com there is a lot of useful informantion there and the steps to take for making your car faster.

your going to be limited by the fuel system. personally i would get a ss auto chrome intercooler evo 560cc injectors, evo 3 16g, and MAP fuel line install kit and MAP aem fuel return kit and walbro 255 fuel pump, mbc, and boost gauge, but will may need a way to tune your car. with that youll be around 250-350hp.

with a budget of a grand your not goin to get very far. If you build the turbo that also requires you to upgrade the fuel system and they you have to have a way to tune it like for say dsm link. if you upgrade the turbo and the fuel system your goin to wanna build the motor to make sure it can handle it. wiseco pistons and eagle rods will cost you for say 500 - 800 dollars alone not including anything else like machine work. I would say for a grand you should go through and fix everything on the car and make sure that the vehicle is in good enough shape to start building.. Its better to fix everything small first and then take on the challange.
if it was me i would take the grand and do a 6 bolt swap and take out that 7 bolt motor

for your budget you the best you can do is sell your t25 turbo and use that money to get a 14b turbo (stock in 1g's) and install kit, get an evo 8 or 9 fuel pump, nxs boost controller, boost gauge, air intake (ebay cheap ones arnt bad but i would get a k&n filter and not use the one that it comes with)some 560cc injectors, turbo back exhaust, hard intercooler pipes, and a 1g bov.
all that should come up right around $1000 if you find the right items for the job.

Check the timing belt and replace all corresponding parts if necessary, then start with a full exhaust, a boost gauge, and a boost controller. Those alone can get you close to 240hp. Ebay exhausts are very cheap (about $200 for the downpipe and catback) and proven. With what I've said you'll only have about $250 in performance mods, then you can decide what you want to do from there.

And don't worry about blowing up your motor from too much boost the ecu will cut your fuel (fuel cut) before that happens, although a fuel pump re-wire is a cheap upgrade for some peace of mind.

Learn this website - www.vfaq.com

And do a boost leak test - http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html , you're almost certain to have some.

Dont go pulling the motor just to put a 6 bolt in it. Do a compression test and leak down test to see how healthy the motor is. Then follow the tech guide

Do all the required maintenance first.
Then:

1. Get yourself a intake setup
2. Harden upper and lower IC pipes
3. 1g bov
4. Sell your t25 and get a 14b along with all the required installation parts
5. Walbro 190Lhp fuel pump
6. Manual boost controller
7. 3" downpipe
8. o2 housing
9. 3" exhaust system

That's the route I would go if I was starting from scratch and had a thousand to spend on performance parts. It's not a heart pounding setup but for the money I think it's a practical setup for a thousand dollars. Those parts should balance out each other fairly well and still maintain reliability. Later on if you want to upgrade get yourself DSMlink first and then go from there. Good luck on your quest for more power. :thumb:

^^^ Remember that you will need to change your IC pipes down the road if you go with a fmic setup. People have ran 11s on stock IC and pipes, might just be better to hold off on those. Also with the fuel pump, I went with a 190 because I didn't want to have to get an afpr, but now I need the 255 for my goals so I have to go through the trouble of doing the same mod twice..... just something for thought.

I would say that you need to explain your goals, but those always change. I would say to tell us how much hp you want, then mod for 200hp more than your goal. Speed only leads to one thing, the craving for more speed.

Do all the required maintenance first.
Then:

1. Get yourself a intake setup
2. Harden upper and lower IC pipes
3. 1g bov
4. Sell your t25 and get a 14b along with all the required installation parts
5. Walbro 190Lhp fuel pump
6. Manual boost controller
7. 3" downpipe
8. o2 housing
9. 3" exhaust system

That's the route I would go if I was starting from scratch and had a thousand to spend on performance parts. It's not a heart pounding setup but for the money I think it's a practical setup for a thousand dollars. Those parts should balance out each other fairly well and still maintain reliability. Later on if you want to upgrade get yourself DSMlink first and then go from there. Good luck on your quest for more power. :thumb:

wow thats almost exactly what i said you should read all the posts before you do one yourself

ok before you do any other the things listed above we do need to know you mechanic ability??? a stock dsm is one of the best so remember as you modify you will also take away relliability , so depending on how mechanically inclined you are i would think about where you wanna spend that grand

If you would SEARCH then you would know how to spend your money. The first step towards making your car fast, is do ALL the maintance you can to make it drive and run well. Also, a good site to use is VFAQ.com there is a lot of useful informantion there and the steps to take for making your car faster.

Do what he said, If you only have a grand I reccomend re-wiring your fuel pump which you can find out how to do here in the forums (just search for it) when you re wire the fuel pump than I reccomend buying a boost controler to up the boost on that 14b turbo. The next thing I would say to do is try getting a full exhaust. I promise you will be very happy with this. You dont really need injectors for the stock turbo once you rewire the fuel pump to get more voltage out of it, of coarse injectors would help :D. Than your car will come alive!!

Give me a grand on a stock turbo 2g, and I would get evo 8/9 injectors, fuel pump, and ecu, all can be had for less than 300, http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/321515-evo-8-ecu-2g-works-4.html. I would go to a local exhaust shop and get a custom 3" exhaust, around here that would be like 200. I would then mod the stock airbox and fit a k&n cone on it. Price is high but here is a bolton T28, http://www.dsmtuners.com/classified...-t28-1598/?catid=searchresults&searchid=11712. The rest can go for the NECESSARY misc items, like gauges, or the EVEN MORE necessary like a new timing belt, a trannny serv, fuel filter, coolant flush, but that would pass the 1000 mark. Other things you might need are better bov, and that is easily solved with a 1g bov, you could get a 14b but that is not a direct bolt-on, but you only need a j-pipe. The 14b could be had for cheaper, then again, you could also look for any other turbo like a any 16g variant, as long as its not the stock t25. If your car cannot spin the tires then try a boost leak IC Pipe Tester. Aftermarket turbo manifolds ("header") are not necessary on these cars, the factory one already flows plenty, they have to flow or else the turbo would spool slower and make less power. If you do decide to get manifold, stay away from the ebay and tubular one, look into a FP race manifold or the SBR cast manifold. An evo3 is not an upgrade.

Give me a grand on a stock turbo 2g, and I would get evo 8/9 injectors, fuel pump, and ecu, all can be had for less than 300, http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/321515-evo-8-ecu-2g-works-4.html. I would go to a local exhaust shop and get a custom 3" exhaust, around here that would be like 200. I would then mod the stock airbox and fit a k&n cone on it. Price is high but here is a bolton T28, http://www.dsmtuners.com/classified...-t28-1598/?catid=searchresults&searchid=11712. The rest can go for the NECESSARY misc items, like gauges, or the EVEN MORE necessary like a new timing belt, a trannny serv, fuel filter, coolant flush, but that would pass the 1000 mark. Other things you might need are better bov, and that is easily solved with a 1g bov, you could get a 14b but that is not a direct bolt-on, but you only need a j-pipe. The 14b could be had for cheaper, then again, you could also look for any other turbo like a any 16g variant, as long as its not the stock t25. If your car cannot spin the tires then try a boost leak IC Pipe Tester. Aftermarket turbo manifolds ("header") are not necessary on these cars, the factory one already flows plenty, they have to flow or else the turbo would spool slower and make less power. If you do decide to get manifold, stay away from the ebay and tubular one, look into a FP race manifold or the SBR cast manifold. An evo3 is not an upgrade.

That's a good deal on that BT-28 imo i might pick that one up for a spare since a brand new FP BT-28 ported cost me $860.00 shipped so $325.00 shipped sounds pretty good to me no doubt.

i know im pretty late to getting in this thread http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif but im 17 also, im wondering where should i go 4rm a 3" turbo back, intake and BOV? i know i need a tune. im wanting to get round 240whp. im sure i would need a stronger turbo than the t25, right? would the t28 b enough? and what supporting mods would i need 4 the t28?

T28 isnt worth it in my opinion, I can say that from experience. You'll in time add all the supporting mods and quickly realize that t28 is no longer what you'll want. But that's just my opionion, and who cares about that :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back