The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

timing belt change rough idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First thing i would do is check if it's in time again. It's possible a tooth might have skipped, which would definitely cause a rough idle.

i checked and looks good to me.

Can this be from the crankshaft position sensor ? because i change my water pump and i didn't drain the coolant from the engine and when i remove the pump alot of coolant get over the sensor and other parts

Your oil pump balance shaft is probably a rotation out causing the vibration.

+1^
If the oil pump sprocket is out of phase, it will cause vibration.

Taken from the VFAQ-

Remove the balance shaft plug on the rear side of the cylinder block and insert a Phillips screwdriver {shank diameter 8 mm (.32 in.)} through the hole. The balance shaft is in the correct position if the screwdriver can be inserted at least 60 mm (2.4 in.). If the inserted depth is less than this only 20-25 mm (.8-1.0 in.), the oil pump sprocket must be rotated one full turn and timing marks realigned. Recheck the balance shaft position using the screwdriver to ensure that it can be inserted 60 mm (2.4 in.) or more. Keep the screwdriver inserted until timing belt installation is complete (Figure 13).

NOTE that there is an easier way to do this. Simply rotate the mark on the oil pump sprocket until it is pointing straight up, and let it go. If the sprocket rotates towards (counterclockwise) the timing mark on the engine, the oil pump sprocket is aligned correctly. If it rotates away (clockwise) from the mark, spin the sprocket a full turn and test again, and it should properly rotate towards the mark now. Now line the mark on the sprocket back up with the mark on the engine. This avoids having to remove the rear access bolt entirely.

Just cause the marks are lined up on the oil pump does not mean it is in phase, give it a full rotation, put it vertical and let go, if it falls towards the timing mark then it is in phase, if it falls away from the timing mark it is out and needs to be spun.

ok i will check again. but i open the balance shaft plug on the rear side of the cylinder block and insert a Phillips and it was good.
If the cams are line up together not in the middle but a little bit over the middle can this be the probllem like a 4mm

When you change the timing belt, a good way to check the cam alignment is to lay a straight edge across the gears. Like a piece of paper or anything with a straight flat edge. All the marks should line up. The 2 on the outside, and the 2 on the inside. Cam alignment can cause rough idle and vibration.

When you change the timing belt, a good way to check the cam alignment is to lay a straight edge across the gears. Like a piece of paper or anything with a straight flat edge. All the marks should line up. The 2 on the outside, and the 2 on the inside. Cam alignment can cause rough idle and vibration.

+1, when my exhaust cam was off, my motor vibrated like that too.

A bad crank sensor would cause misfire at idle, but it looks like timing is off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back