The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Clicking / Ticking top of motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifter27_04

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2005
Winston Salem, North_Carolina
I have been hearing a clicking/ticking noise for the top area of the motor after driving and assumed it was the injectors maybe and never bother to investigate. Well yesterday I was messing around with the timing belt and turned the crank over to align the timing marks and there after I starting hearing the clicking/ticking again but this time really stood out as I have no injectorsOMG in the car as my new injectors have not arrived yet. In knowing that it could be in the valve train I watched the timing marks on the cams just to see if something may move but nothing happened. Any ideas what it maybe and suggestions where to look other than the valve train area. If the lifters are bad would they cause this clicking/ticking noise?

the lifters be a ticking noise would but I dont know if you would hear it just turning the motor over..

Thats my thoughts also but I am confused at this time and need some suggestions what it maybe or the cause of it. All I know it started after turning the crank to align the timing marks

Here is everything I know of that could possibly make a ticking noise when the engine turns (without burning fuel). Most of these are directly up top, but sometimes stuff sounds up top, means it could be up top instead of middle.

Notice I said possbily. I am in know way saying to go buy and replace all these parts, but test and look at everything possible.

Lifter (maybe, notr sure because I have the newer lifters), but I don't think they can because not enough pushing on them just by hand.

Harmonic balancer pulley

Water pump going out

Timing belt tensioner (hydraulic tensioner)

Timing belt tensioner pulley

Anything with a pulley attached could make a noice when turning over.

See sometimes stuff sounds like it is up top but it is not alwys the case.

Thanks for mentioning all possibilities it may be but I have checked the timing belt area and it seems fine but I will double check to be sure. I will be taking the valve cover off also and checking over all the valve train making sure there as well. I hope to have this done over the weekend and I will tell m findings if any at that time.

What makes me think its on the valve train is that after driving it the noise it somewhat louder than opposed to turning the motor manually, in which making me think that what every it might be is building pressure and than releasing it when the motor is seating.

But anymore suggestions is more than welcomed

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back