The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

HELP have fuel and spark but no start.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theo33

Probationary Member
May 21, 2009
Portage, Indiana
i hav a 1g awd 5spd. i was driving fine pulled up to a stop light wnt to take off and it putted like out of gas and wont start now. im getting fuel and spark but no start. ive replaced the fuel pump and fpr. also were is the cas located so i can move there nxt. also it cranks and sounds like its gna start evry other crank but then keeps cranking

Compression Test. left to right 135-0-0-100
Im ordering a head gasket so besides that were is the best place to start

check your battery connections and altenator, the CAS is located right next to the thermostat housing,on passenger side on the head

so i was just checking wiring and fuses and found nothing but i started cranking on it and it started really rough spiting and sputtering then died a few seconds later. have no idiea what would cause this

now its sounding to be more like an air delivey problem check all your piping from turbo tom intake manifold, make sure everything is tight,i realy dont belive the CAS has anything to do with this, maybe your MAF but right now im guessing something not clamped or tightened enough check your vaccum lines as well, by the way what kind of mods are you running?

i went checked and tightend all intake pipes still nothing so i orderd a new maf. proly b here next week ill post how it goes. thanks

i went checked and tightend all intake pipes still nothing so i orderd a new maf. proly b here next week ill post how it goes. thanks

Does it start with Starting Fluid? That would help in narrowing down the problem. If it starts with that, chances are its still a fuel problem. Do a boost leak test & compression test while your at it.

i hav a 1g awd 5spd. i was driving fine pulled up to a stop light wnt to take off and it putted like out of gas and wont start now. im getting fuel and spark but no start. ive replaced the fuel pump and fpr. also were is the cas located so i can move there nxt. also it cranks and sounds like its gna start evry other crank but then keeps cranking

I had an almost identical problem, found that the aftermarket fuel pump switch had a bad ground.

I would stick with the basics if I were you. You said you have fuel and spark. Have you administrated a compression test?

If you dont have access to a compression check you always could... ill say first this isnt the best way or most accurate but... Take the plug off the top of your coil pack, so the cylinders dont spark. Take a spark plug out, and plug the hole of the spark plug with your thumb or finger. Turn the car over, you should feel the compression. Do to all cylinders 1 at a time. If one or two seem to have less push or none at all, bad compression. Fuel+Spark+compression=combustion. If you know you have two check the third.

I would also say compression test, If you dont have a tester most auto part stores will let you rent one. It sounds like valve timing from what you described as much as I hate to say it. Have you ever had the timing belt changed ?

timing belt was just recently done and ran fine after. it blows black smoke most likly from a super rich A/F witch is making sence that it is an air problem. i havent got to compression test yet ### ive been working so much. im off to get one tho monday when i go back to 12s. thanks ill b posting maf progress ths week and compression numbers nxt week. thnks

!!!will have compression numbers in bout an hour!!!

so just did test. its bad from left to right #1 135 #2 o #3 0 #4 100.
were would be the best place to start on this. im ordering a performance head gasket anyway so besides that.

Pull the head off and take a look! Ive done it on my car 4 times replacing "bad" head gaskets, that turned out to be a warped head surface. You could have bad valves, a bad head gasket, warped head, improper torquing of head studs.

ill b up bright and early 2maro morning ripping off the head. ill keep evry updated.

Maybe you jumped timing when you started and bent a few valves? Might be worth checking your timing so you can know what happened before pulling the head off.

Sorry for your loss man, good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back