The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Hyundai 4G63 head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve-o_95_GST

Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2004
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Does anyone know anything about the hyundai 4G63 head?

I told a friend of mine that I was looking for a 2g head and he told me that he had a head from a '96 Hyundai that looks pretty similar to the 2g 46g3 head by comparing the intake ports. Im wondering if the head made by Hyundai is a copy of the mitsu head or slightly different. If they are different, can anyone tell me the differences between the two?

-Steve

What year hyundai did it come off of ?
Regardless those motors were made only for about a time frame of 2-3 years on those cars, almost right along till they stopped production of the 1g, the intake manifold ports on the head resemble those of a 1g not 2g. I went a few months back to a junkyard and inspected one pretty well and saw they were the same all around.
It should drop right in on a 1g with no problem.
They pretty much used a mitsu block and they only slapped on the hyundai name on top of it, that's it.

all a hundai is is a 4g63 with a different valve cover because my budy has 1 in his shop that he is building mildly and there is no diifernce now by the head i dont know if it is similar to a 2g or a 1g:hmm:

What year hyundai did it come off of ?
Regardless those motors were made only for about a time frame of 2-3 years on those cars, almost right along till they stopped production of the 1g, the intake manifold ports on the head resemble those of a 1g not 2g. I went a few months back to a junkyard and inspected one pretty well and saw they were the same all around.
It should drop right in on a 1g with no problem.
They pretty much used a mitsu block and they only slapped on the hyundai name on top of it, that's it.

I believe he said it was of a 96. I thought they were in the car longer than that. I did a quick google search and I found they were in the sonata from 92-98 I dont know if they bought the tooling from mitsu from the start or just got parts from them as they were made but if it were the later, then maybe there could be a possibility of Hyundai using the 2g head as well. I dont know if this would be true or not but would be nice if it possibly could be the 2g head. I havent looked at it yet to tell or not for myself, and wont get the chance to until next week sometime.

I believe he said it was of a 96. I thought they were in the car longer than that. I did a quick google search and I found they were in the sonata from 92-98 I dont know if they bought the tooling from mitsu from the start or just got parts from them as they were made but if it were the later, then maybe there could be a possibility of Hyundai using the 2g head as well. I dont know if this would be true or not but would be nice if it possibly could be the 2g head. I havent looked at it yet to tell or not for myself, and wont get the chance to until next week sometime.

Werent the sonatas NT though?

They were. I didnt really think of that until you mentioned it, but they did have non turbo 4G63 in the 2g eclipse sold in europe. Its a long shot but Im just kind of hoping its what Im looking for because its free :coy:

this wouldnt be suprising becasue the new hyundai genesis uses the same 4B11T motor out of the new evos. one of the reasons it is a pretty sweet car. but what year and model hyundais are you guys talking about having the mitsu 4g63 in them? i am very interested in this article.

the heads are indentical except the camshafts

i planning on using swaping my 4g63 head for a 4g67 n/t head. the 4g67 head has big intake ports like a 1g head but i has a smller combustion chamber; 4g63 : 47cc and the 4g67 : 43cc. with this 4g67 head and evo 8/9 piston my compression should be around 9.1 or 9.0 c/r.

for more info go to
Project Zero G Forums ~ View topic - 4G61 head info

All the US 4g61's had the small intake port, 43cc combustion chamber head. The small intake ports on these heads are dimensionally identical to that of the second generation Eclipses (95-99).

Since he thinks it looks like a 2g head it maybe be one of these. I will check it over and see what really is sometime this coming week. Just to be sure Ill probably cc the head to verify. Thanks for the link :thumb:

We went 9.90 with a head off a G4CS 1997 Sonata.......It has the small ports like a 2G. We had to hog it out a little for the 1G head studs to clear......but not much else is different.

I have a 1997 Sonata engine and the code is G4CP it has 1g style intake ports, 6 bolt crank PCD, and the off key thing about it is that it has 1g characteristics but 2g angle sensor specifically 95-96 2g sensors.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hyundia block, front cover, and oil pan modified for a drain. You replace the pistons with turbo pistons. Bam, 6 bolt turbo, with 2g sensors. The mounting bolts for the front cover and oil filter housing are different than a dsm, so they must all be used together. I thought that a 6-bolt hyundai was a common swap into a 2g.

Hyundia block, front cover, and oil pan modified for a drain. You replace the pistons with turbo pistons. Bam, 6 bolt turbo, with 2g sensors. The mounting bolts for the front cover and oil filter housing are different than a dsm, so they must all be used together. I thought that a 6-bolt hyundai was a common swap into a 2g.

It's not because this engine was only in the Sonata for 2 years with this setup 96-97, I saw it in the junkyard untouched and I noticed that it had a plug going behind the timing belt cover. I don't see that much in fact, when I first got it back home and searched I don't see much info on it at all.

steve-o_95_GST a coupla things about the Sonata head for your friend.
1 - To fit a 2G inlet gasket, I trimed the top of the gasket port 1/16"
2 - I verticaly ellongated the bolt holes 1/8" higher so it can drop 1/8"
This makes an Evo 1-2-3 inlet gasket line up with the ports.
The floor of the Sonata inlet port is 1/8" lower than our Mitsu 2Gs.
** DON'T use the Sonata cam bearings caps with your Mitsu Cams **
** They are slightly smaller in Diameter and will strangle Mitsu Cams **
** I found out the Hard way. BOTH my Evo cams dowl pins sheared off **
** You can guess where my valves ended up after that :ohdamn:
Other than that, Yeah a Sonata small inlet port head is a cheap 2G head.
Cheers !

I know this thread is old but, I found a 98 Hyundai head like the one in the video above, and was wondering if there was a way to modify my 2g t-stat housing to fit this head, or maybe modify the head? Because the head looks brand new, and it would be a shame to pass up if I didn't have to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back