The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Torque converter won't go on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webconnect

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 22, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
I can't get the torque converter to go in all the way into the bell housing. After about 2 hours + dinner I was able to get the starter ring on the torque converter to be flush with the bell housing. However the torque converter now appears to be jammed. I can't spin it. Is this normal?

:banghead:

I just tried to upload pics but my camera's memory card is corrupt. Sorry. I took it out and tried again. Now the starter ring is flush to the bell housing, and I can turn it. However I still think the converter needs to be in more. Like the starter ring is inside the bell housing by 1/4 inch. Is that right?

After about a total of 18 man hours on just trying to get the converter on, I succeeded! While the converter's starter ring was flush with the bell housing, I turned the transmission on its opposite end. I then started to spin the converter and push, and let gravity do the work. It when in ever so slightly. Now the starter ring is 1/4 inch inside the bell housing. And it spins. thank the lord.

Is this the first time installing a tranni? good thing you didn't turn it over the engine. if torque converter is not seated all the way, you can ruin front pump assembly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back