The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Replace Stock air box, with cone air filter!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Model_Zero

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2009
Richmond, Virginia
Okay, So I want to remove that black air box from my car, and just have a cone air filter(can't afford a full intake right now). THe problem is I went to go get one, and thee people who looked at my car said, that I can't do it?? THey also said its because of the sensors, and the fact that the intake goes ALL the way inside of the box. How can I do this mod, and what can I do about the sensors?? Thanks!:confused:

Oreillys sales the adapter Its a Spectre. Cant remember the part number its less than $30 it bolts to the MAF and then has a 3 in nipple for the cone filter. I have one on my car. :D

Thank you, rush for you're help. and tjbiker, I did use the Search button, didnt find what I was looking for so I asked thank you. What is the difference for the 2g and the 1g?

What i would do is buy an intake from ebay, buy new couplers from Welcome To Extreme PSI and maybe a new filter and you're set. It will cost you way less than an Injen or a Dejon.

Thank you, rush for you're help. and tjbiker, I did use the Search button, didnt find what I was looking for so I asked thank you. What is the difference for the 2g and the 1g?

No problem. The difference is different years and how they were fitted into the car.

So something like this? eBay Motors: Mitsubishi Eclipse 90-94 Turbo Intake Pipe (item 230335965647 end time May-07-09 15:27:43 PDT)

Then I can get the couplers and the filter from that site correct? Which couplers though?

Why buy online when you can pick it up locally? All you do is remove air box completely. Then the adapter bolts directly to the Mass Air Flow sensor with four bolts (not included) Then you slide on the filter and bam. I think I paidl ike $40 for the filter and adapter. It says DSM adapter etc on the package. If you want pics I can post but Im sure you can walk in and Find it.

The difference is different years and how they were fitted into the car.

You guys do realize he has a 1g, right.... :hmm:
There is a big difference between a 1g and a 2g mas setup...

OP- you can't use any of the posted items unless you convert to a 2g mas (you need a lot more than the mas for the conversion, though) All you can do with the 1g mas is use a stock style filter and mod the filter can.

Yes, please post it, so I can determine what I am looking for. Also Im not sure if we have an O'riellys here, but Im sure a local auto part store will have it!

So your saying unless I buy a full intake, there is not much I can do besides cut the air box?

If, I end up doing this, what else do you suggest, do I have to remove the lower honeycomb from the MAF? OR can i simply just cut the Air intake box and be fine?

Putting a k&n and cutting the air can will give you the flow you want from your intake while removing the lower honeycomb will lean out your air/fuel ratio as more unmetered air will pass through the lower portion of the MAF.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back