The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Symptoms of reversed thermostat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doobycareful

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 4, 2006
East Highland, Michigan
Hi, I was wondering what are some of the symptoms of accidentally placing a thermostat backwards?

Last month I replaced my head gasket, water pump and thermostat and its all good but I noticed sometimes it leaks coolant out of the holding tank. I dont remember if I put it in backwards, I live in Michigan and last month we had some sub 0 temps when I was doing the HG job, my brain was frozen ROFL

Wouldn't it overheat if the coolant wasn't traveling arround the engine?

It's been a month since I've replace the thermostat so wouldn't something happened by now?

Maybe could it be the radiator cap? <<<(the one thats not really on the radiator)

I'm puzzled, so thanks for all your help guys.

It should only fit one way........................... It can't physically fit while trying to put it in backwards.

Not sure if this is good news or bad news for you. :hmm:

How can you install a thermostat upside down? The top of the thermostat is bigger than the bottom so I don't even think it'd go in. Could you possibly take a picture?

Pushing coolant is related to the head lifting off of the block. Usually this is because you are running a lot of boost and the head studs/bolts can't do their job in keeping the head down. Did you remember to properly torque the head studs using the correct pattern and torque intervals?

Yes, I torqued down through 5 different sequences, good thing you cannot put it backwards, most likely I did it right I just dont remember thats why I asked.

I'm running 12 boost tops I dont think thats that much to lift the head.

Wouldn't it leak around the HG if the head lifted?

What do you mean by putting it in backwards?

How can you install a thermostat upside down? The top of the thermostat is bigger than the bottom so I don't even think it'd go in. Could you possibly take a picture?

He's talking about having the flow pattern of the thermostat backwards. Luckily the way ours is designed, You can't possibly do that. When you go to assemble the thermostat housing, etc. They just won't fit if you placed it backwards.

This was what I was trying to say.................

I'm running 12 boost tops I dont think thats that much to lift the head.

Wouldn't it leak around the HG if the head lifted?

doesn't have to lift to leak. It can be blown out or not sealing correctly in a spot and be pushing compression into the system and thus it needs somewhere to go and the overflow bottle is it.

does it do it all the time? like it was said earlier, could be filled to much if it's just a once or twice thing.

I think its because I put to much. After the HG replace I would check it every so often and add coolant in it until it filled up 'til the radiator cap. It hasn't leaked recently so I dont think its pushing. Thank god, I dont wanna do another HG job for a while. :) Thanks for all your help guys

For the 1g vehicles mitsubishi had a TSB for coolant overheating issues and filling up the overflow jug due to low pressure rad caps. From the factory on some dsms they had a 9psi rad cap and it just wasn't sufficient. There solution was a 13 psi cap. I'm not sure if this would help you or not but if you have an original cap you could probably use a replacement.

Update

Went and picked up my Safc, and I noticed it leaking at the gas station. Went to Autozone picked up a new 13psi pressure release radiator cap ;) and when I got home I checked my T-stat housing and I noticed that at t he clamp of the upper rad cap is slowly leaking. So I think thats the problem, I read somewhere that if you have a leak between T-stat and rad, coolant will go to the overfill tank but it wont get sucked back up because of the leak in the line.

Next chance I get I will change the rad hoses, upper and lower. Any good places to pick some up?

Just your local part store (napa, carquest, autozone, advance). Unless you feel like going with silicone hoses then just a replacement hose from any of those parts stores will work.

So I replaced my upper radiator hose and BOV to intake hose (dry rotted) and there isn't no leaks as I can tell but the radiator is smoking cause when I removed the hose coolant went all in the radiator. I'll drive for a couple days and see if it still leaks.

i had a problem once of coolant slowly leaking when i would be driving. just idling it was fine and there were no problems but when i would drive the system would be under pressure and i could smell coolant. come to find out, it was leaking at the hose clamp by the t-sat housing.

i would check all the hose clamps. if one is even a little loose it could be letting a little coolant by when under pressure.

I replaced the whole upper hose and tightened the clamps down. Thanks for your input guys, I'll post back in a couple days.

My 560cc, 190lph and rewire kit will arrive next week :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back