The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

What will your vehicle do with a bad tie rod end?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94Jettameowpsst

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
What will your vehicle do with a bad tie rod end?
Here's the issue. On top of having a few bad bushings in the front i think this may be the culprit. On accel the steering wheel likes to "wobble" sort of like if you have bad rotors and you brake hard. The faster i go, the faster the steering wheel wobbles, also, it basically feels like i have a huge bend in one of my wheels...i believe its coming from the driver front..however its a new tire, un bent wheel, and new intermediate L shaped control arm/ball joint.

Any ideas??

could be but you need to go jack up the front one side at a time and see if the wheel has play. You have to grab the tire and try to rotate it if it moves left or right Watch the tie rods also bad ball joints can cause a similar effect. Also could be a bad stering rack.

I know the feeling. I put my end link on backwards, and caused the problem. Also, the car being out of alignment will do this. Because, you tire is cockeyed, but you cant see it. Also, the balljoint being bad, and i know the 2g is different, but that being bad, will let the wheel have in and out movement, which can do it.

James :laser::talon:

Thanks for the responses.
Yea this whole thing just started. It was slight before when my L shaped control arm went bad but i replaced that. I know my upper driver side bj needs changed but its been bad since i started driving the car again.
Guess im going to just have to jack the car up and do that bc ive never had a bad rack/rod end so this is new for me. I noticed this morning on the way to work that it does it while coasting as well but just not as much.

Sigh why do i have a feeling this is going to be an expensive oem replacement :(

Suspects:

Wheel bearing
Tie Rod (inner or outer)
Balljoints (upper, lower)
Control arm bushings (upper, lower)
loose lugnuts

All of these could cause the tire to wobble. The only way to know is to jack it up by the body and check like the others have mentioned.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back