The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

car loses all electrical power while driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theboss88

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 8, 2008
allentown, Pennsylvania
i just replaced the alternator, can it be my battery
my brake , radiator, and battery lights flicker on and off, the car starts up fine but when i drive it it loses all electrical power within five minutes of driving

i just replaced the alternator, can it be my battery
my brake , radiator, and battery lights flicker on and off, the car starts up fine but when i drive it it loses all electrical power within five minutes of driving

Is your belt properly tightened on the Alt?
Yes, this sounds like your battery.
Just go to Dangerzone and get it tested.

yea well i replaced the alternator cause it just started doing the same thing
when i rebuilt the motor the car sat for a 2 weeks and the battery was completly dead
i had them test the old alternator and it was only putting out 12 volts
so i think the battery is shot
anyone have anything like this happen to them before

yea well i replaced the alternator cause it just started doing the same thing
when i rebuilt the motor the car sat for a 2 weeks and the battery was completly dead
i had them test the old alternator and it was only putting out 12 volts
so i think the battery is shot
anyone have anything like this happen to them before

Yeppers. Had my battery disconnected for about 3 weeks once while putting my car back together. I put it together hooked the battery up and had to jump the car to get it to start. Afterwards I was driving to a buddys house and the same exact thing happened to me. Replaced my alternator(free bec of the Auto Zone warranty ROFL) and had them do a quick charge on my battery. Good as new now :thumb:

I had this happen to me one time...I was driving...then out of no where my power cut out...i tried everything...it ended up being a 40 amp engine fuse...might wanna check just in case

i put a new battery in it and it did nothin
i just bought the alt. at autozone 2 days ago
the belt is new aswell
my radiator brake and battery light all come on at the same time and the go on and off
it seems like the car is running of the battery
or there is a drain

how can you tell if its bad????
i never pulled it out but from the top it looks ok

check your wires that go to the alternator
becasue if there loose everything you are saying will happen
my car did the same

Make sure the the power steering pump bracket is tightened all the way. I experienced the same symptoms and it ended up being because the power steering pump was loose and was hitting the alternator, causing the car to lose all power. Just another idea of what it could be.

EDIT: Did you take it down the road after you tightened everything down, to see if it is still losing power? From your posts it really seems like it's grounding out somewhere.

yea i drove it it just seems like all power is being drained somewhere

Get your "new" alt. tested and most likely, replaced.

I agree I would also take back the battery and get it tested. Ive bought batteries from Auto Zone before brought them home and they didnt work. I take them back and have them check and go figure its a bad battery. I havent had trouble with any of my Auto Zone alternators though. Mine hold 14.3-14.5 volts cruising and 14.1 at idle :thumb:

Make sure your battery terminals are clean. Use some baking soda and water on the terminals to clean them off. Replace the cable's end if needed to make a good connection. Make sure your ground cable going down to the transmission bolt is tight and clean. Cleanliness and solid connections are the key to success.

I had the same problem. The battery terminals looked great all together. Then, I took off the terminal and it was all corroded. So, I cleaned it up and put it back together and I had no more problems.

Also, feel the terminals if they are warm or hot to the touch then it's having a hard time getting current through that terminal and that's where your problem lies.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back