The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Starts then dies, Start with foot on gas stays on, let off = dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awild

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 28, 2003
Grand Rapids, Michigan
No CEL's, just bought the car knowing it has issues, just changed the plugs that were fouled terribly.

If I start the car it dies immediately. If I start the car and hold my foot on the gas it will stay running. Ideas? Again, no CELs but I'll go double check while it's running.

Try playing with the BISS screw like 94 says..

Mine was gone when I bought it and couldn't figure out why it would die until I looked at it.
haha

Try that and if thats not it, I know this might sound dumb, but what size injectors are on the car? I know when I switched from my maf to SD setup the fact that I didn't have the right settings on the injector dead time would make it so that the car would die as soon as ai let off the gas. Just throwing it out there.

Try that and if thats not it, I know this might sound dumb, but what size injectors are on the car? .

Not a clue what injectors. Likely stock. Just bought the car two days ago nonrunning (or at least not idle/starting correctly.)

I'll mess with the BISS tomorrow when my roommate is home.

UPDATE on symptoms - Still zero CEL's. Previously I wrote that the car will stay on if I hold the gas. This only lasts 10 seconds or so. Started it again and it tried "catching" itself before it died. Worked itself out a few times then died. It's kinda like when you reset the ECU how it dips and grabs and dips and grabs...except it's dipping all the way to dead.

Umm... if messing with the BISS dosnt help, try disconecting the battery for a little bit to reset the ecu. With you mentioning it, it gave me the idea.

Shoulda mentioned...I bought the car without a battery and put a brand new one in just before this post. so it's likely trying to reset itself anyways but I can't get it to run long enough. Hopefully adjusting the BISS a little will allow it to run long enough to reset the ecu.

Ahh ok, got ya. I have trouble with mine when it sits for awhile with the battery dissconected. Ya gota hold it at half throtle for a bit then just get on it and go for a drive at crusing speed. After a couple times of that its back to normal.

Yeah always had the ecu reset issue with my 3000gt. Would run like a monkey on crack if I didnt let it idle for 15 mins after reconnecting the battery. Hopefully thats my issue.

if that doesnt work check to see if the fuel filter is clogged. could be your problem because when your starting it forces more fuel than idleing and when your on the gas there is more fuel than idle. so just something to think about.

Probably not a bad idea to do the fuel filter anyways. Too bad i hear those are a PITA.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Like big ones? I would definitely check that if you haven't already. That sounds exactly like what happened to me tonight. Cranked up the boost to 18 psi and popped off the line from the PCV to the IM.

I checked everything I could from the top end in the dark getting snowed on, LOL. I remember popping off my Jpipe on a Talon back in the day and it had a similar issue. I'll dig in a little deeper in the light and see if there's something off. Thanks for the idea.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back