The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

CEL P0171 Lean Bank 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdog225

Probationary Member
Apr 18, 2008
Houston, Texas
99 Eclipse GS N/T

History - Car over heated. Replaced water pump, timing belt, radiator, resurfaced the head, bought all new gaskets. Drove for 2 weeks and was sometimes dying at stops and had a rough idle. Then and the timing belt tensioner pulley bolt broke. Replaced it, replaced timing belt again. Started rigth up ran fine for about 2 miles then CEL P0171 and very rough ride and sometimes dying at stops. Very noticable smell of fuel from the exhaust which was not expierenced after the first round of fixes. All the searches I did talk about turbos. Mine is a Non Turbo. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I am so ready to just drive and enjoy.....Thanks again

Code mostly associates with your o2 sensor reading lean but if it is lean then you shouldnt be smelling gas. Clean out your maf cause it gets dirty and prevents correct readings when you use reusable filters that you spray oil on. Also an unplugged or vaccum leak can give you the P0171 code. Make sure you checked your timing. Very unlikely but you could of had the timing off and the marks on the pistons are heating up and causing pre detonation but you would most likely have bent valves already.

Last I checked....2gnt's dont have MAF's so having a clean one might be your problem....LOL. I would pull the spark plugs and see what color they are, otherwise I would pull and clean your o2 to make sure it is getting a good reading and not just clogged.

The 420a motor is the same as a Neon . . . The throttle body is at the end of a rubber snorkel, effectively making the rubber snorkel section part of the intake manifold, & I have seen them dry out & develop cracks leading to air/intake leaks . . . check it out . . . :talon:

Finally this thing is fixed! Replaced the Bank 1 O2 Sensor and all is good again. Went ahead and replaced the Bank 2 O2 because it had never been done. Shes runnnin great again :sneaky:

Looking for ideas guys.

I have this code on my car appear for a few days now. I clear it and it comes back after couple days. I have not noticed any performance impacts or any issues with the car driving. I have a 2GNT 98.

Any ideas? thanks.

bump to the post.

I'm still seeing the code come and go. I've checked my o2 sensors with my scanner and it says that those are all ok.

I do get a freeze frame in the cpu and I'm not exactly sure how to read it. but one of the fuel trim values doesn't look right.

Any tips?

MAF is good. 02 is plugged in. Ill check for a vacuum leak now.....

I doubt your maf sensor is good on a n/t your car uses a speed density system which uses a manifold absolute pressure sensor and a throttle posistion sensor to calculate airflow.

to sdsdsd:

If you have access to a scan tool look at your long term fuel trim with the car idling for a few minutes and see if it goes above 10%. Do this cold and hot.

Then with the engine warmed up run the engine at about 2500 rpms for 5 minutes and see what the fuel trims are doing is they normalize you more than likely have a vacuum leak, because vacuum leaks ofset the airflow alot more at low loads.

After you have done this mash your gas pedal to the floor and release it immediatly, after the release your o2 sensors should both read high. That is a good indication that they are working properly.

My scan tool won't show me live readings. Its an Actron cp9175 i think is the model number. I can see what the fuel trim is through at the time that the code was thrown because it creates a freeze frame.
Per the sensors it shows that the o2 sensors are both ok. I'm thinking its prob a vaccum leak and those I know are a pain to find :(

I'll keep you posted. thanks for helping!

Finally did some scanning in my car since i didnt drive it for a bit.

Some of the stuff i pulled with my scanner from the freeze-frame the code was tossed at:

Engine RPM: 832
Load Value : 4.7%
MAP Sensor: 43KPA
Coolant temp: 163 degrees Fahr
Long Term Fuel Trim 1 : 24.2 %
Short Term Fuel Trim 1: -100.6%
Fuel System 1: CLSD
Fuel System 2: N/A %
Vehicle speed: 0 MPH

I'm not sure how to interpret this info. Does anyone with more experience know more about how to interpret the code?

Funny thing is when i clear the scanner it is random how quickly it comes up.

thanks.

i have a 95 eclipse n/t and it has been doing the exact same thing as the OP. rough idle and acts like it wants to die and it sputters alot. and finally after 4 months i got the check engine P0171. so im gonna change the bank 1 o2 sensor and hopefully that fixes it.

i have a 95 eclipse n/t and it has been doing the exact same thing as the OP. rough idle and acts like it wants to die and it sputters alot. and finally after 4 months i got the check engine P0171. so im gonna change the bank 1 o2 sensor and hopefully that fixes it.

This may help.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back