The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] Radio has power but wont turn on. New and old.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diatenshi

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Hey everyone. I am having some radio issues. I have a 95 GST, radio says infinity on it, has the standard connector on it, but 2 other looks like maybe a 9 pin, and maybe a 15pin round ones on the back.

I accidentally locked out the factory, which is ok, was replacing it anyways. Put in the new headunit....nothing!

I was like ok, checked fuses, all good. Checked the voltage, got 11.8 on the power. I plugged the factory back in, now it gets Nothing! :confused: atleast before it had, "Off"

I tried the new one again, nothing.

Checked all fuses again (the radio one under the hood, and under the dash.) Still have 11.8 volts, but nothing on either radio.

Anything I am missing??

Both hooked up and giving power.

The 2 other plugs are more than likely for a factory amp. If so you will have to bypass it for an after market head unit to work. Never done it on a 2g before some times you have to run new wire to each speaker and some times you can buy an adapter to by pass it or to work with it.

If you have power then the only that would cause the head unit not to come on would be the ground. You can test it by finding a ground on a piece of metal behind the radio and hooking or just holding it on it.

Tested ground, its good. : \ thats why I am so confused. The infinity system would not keep this from atleast powering up would it??

It is possible. Have you tried twisting all 4 yellow and red wires together.

no D :

the yellow i think only gives 5 volts, i don't think that would be a good idea.

No they all are supposed to put out 12v the difference is the one is always on and the other is only on with the key.

Here is what each factory wire color is also showing both power wires are 12v.

It came from: 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Car Stereo Wiring Diagram

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Car Stereo Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Black
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Blue
Car Radio Ground Wire: Chassis
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Green/White
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Black/Yellow
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: White/Black
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 5 1/4″
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black/White
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black/White
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6″ x 9″
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Side Panels
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Blue
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Red
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/Red

That doesn't really make sense!

"Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black/White
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black/White
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black"

Both left and right are said to be black/white?

I guess I will just have to pull her out tomorrow and check and rewire it again.

That for the factory wires not the adapter plug that was bought to put it the radio.

first of all are you using a harness to install your new stereo. if so, it should be plain and simple. the harness should give you proper color leads that match to your new stereo's wiring. red to red, yellow to yellow, thats ign power, and memory constant. there is no ground, you will have to find a ground in the chassis.

those 3 wires connected properly alone should turn on the deck no problem. hell my setup only uses those wires because i'm runing aftermarket amps powering everything. now if those wires are correct and still nothing, check the fuse on the deck. its that small one usually by the harness. make sure the key is turned on to acc. if the aftermarket deck has a reset button, press that if it still isn't turning on.

that ebay link to that harness spaugh posted is if you are trying to keep your stock amp and integrate it with your new deck. meaning, those advertised 200-300watt power (really only 12-22watt rms x 4) that the amp says it has will not be used. Also by using that harness in the link, you get to keep your dash speakers working without worrying on how to wire them, also just less wiring in general--more plug and play, and you get who knows how much power that the stock amp provides--but i will tell you after playing with several decks, even deck power from new decks seem to provide more power and better quality than the stock amp (no one has concrete data on how much they actually put out).

But back to your problem, 3 wires alone should turn on your new deck. If not, make sure the deck didn't fail. also if putting the stock back and that doesn't work, make sure all the cables attached to the stock deck is also connected and see if it turns on. If that turns on, its your deck or wiring.

If you are absolutely sure you aren't at fault with the wiring, then you will have to investigate further.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I am going to check everything again today since theres more light then at 9pm using my phone as a light.

No fuses were lost in the process and ground is good.

I will see what happens after the rewire.

Resolved - -

Its odd, the ground was actually bolted to bare metal down at the bottom of the bay in which the radio sits with a u-connector, and I physically checked it as well as with a volt meter, i used the same wire as the ground for the meter and it showed plenty of voltage flow. I regrounded it with a new wire to different metal, fired right up, XM kicked in, speakers worked just fine even with infinity. I assume a past owner rewired it for the amp issue? The factory radio was in the trunk, thats why I figured.

Thanks to everyone who helped. Moral of the story is, even if your ground looks great, and you get great voltage, it may not be D:

P.S. That does not explain why my stock radio did not work when I put it back in. :confused::confused:

It still had no power, and nothing to do with that ground wire.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back