The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Spyder Car won't pass inspection! North Carolina

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98gsspy

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2006
Raleigh, North_Carolina
I have a 98 spyder that had code PO420. My rear 02 was in front of the cat(i dont know why) but I replaced it anyways. After I replaced it the light went off and has been off for the last 400 miles. I went to go get it inspected but it failed because of MIL commanded on failed.

I hooked up my logger and there were no codes on or pending. This is a Cali emissions car if that matters or not.

Did you ask them WHY it failed? If it gave them a code, they should be able to tell you what it was.

The car's o2 sensors have already been relocated in the proper place and the car was no longer throwing codes.

right guys thanks, the o2 sensors ARE IN THE CORRECT PLACE. My question is why is it still failing a MIL?

I have a 98 spyder that had code PO420. My rear 02 was in front of the cat(i dont know why) but I replaced it anyways. After I replaced it the light went off and has been off for the last 400 miles. I went to go get it inspected but it failed because of MIL commanded on failed.

I hooked up my logger and there were no codes on or pending. This is a Cali emissions car if that matters or not.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the CEL bulb has burned out. If it indeed comes on when you first turn the IGN on, then goes out after a few seconds . . . I would suggest remove the negative side of the battery for ~30 seconds to clear anything out of the ECU and try driving around for a few days before testing again.

If there is a problem somewhere in your SRS, those codes will NOT clear by simply removing power. Those need to be cleared from a MUT-II at the dealership.

I went to go get it inspected but it failed because of MIL commanded on failed.

I hooked up my logger and there were no codes on or pending.

Do you have a 1995 ECU with an older DSMchips?

The 1995 chips have the “MIL bug” which shows that the check engine light should be on even if there are no codes set.

There is a long thread where the Mitsubishi problems with flags are explained and resolved. Please read through the thread from post 91. (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/pro...ng-smog-because-monitors-4.html#post151429210)

Also see the wiki at OBDII Emissions Testing and the DSM - Dsmwiki which includes a sample e-mail requesting a waiver.

Starting on 1996 the cars are ob2 so they use two o2 sensors. The upstream sensor is used as an input for fuel trim and the downstream sensor is used to check the cat. Make sure you have both sensors in the right spot because the downstream sensor is slower than the upstream sensor! Check your CAT! The car maybe telling you the CAT is bad.

98GSSpy's car came in to the shop last week after he talked with me about the inspection issues he's been having. I'm both a mechanic and State inspector and somewhat familiar with the procedure so we went ahead and attempted the inspection. The initial attempt resulted in a "No communications" failure. Basically, the DMV computer tries to talk with the ECU/PCM and if it does not the vehicle fails inspection. The second attempt resulted in a "MIL Commanded-On" failure. This basically means the ECU/PCM is telling the DMV computer that the MIL is being commanded on. In the event of a MIL Commanded-On status, the vehicle will fail the OBDII portion because of what it believes is an emissions failure.

In reality what happened is that the MIL bulb works during bulb check and does not stay illuminated despite what the computer BELIEVES is happening. The computer is saying that the light is on but it's not MAKING the light come on. Regardless, the DMV computer doesn't pass a vehicle because of the condition this particular vehicle is exhibiting.

I verified that the data link connector has power and ground which frequently causes this type of issue. Additionally, there were no fault codes stored nor active. This was confirmed by my stand-alone scan tool, the DMV computer reported no codes and 98GSSpy's PDA showed no codes as well.

This same condition was present on numerous Mitsubishi products from the 1996 year model as described in these links below:

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/ecnews1st03.pdf

AAA - On-Board Diagnostic II Problems

The final solution there seems to be a newer computer with a different software version that either legally allows a bypass of certain inspection steps OR corrects software glitches making the software fully operational. But this does not specifically mention failures of this nature on a 97-99 model year Mitsu. In the later years there seem to be more issues with readiness monitors being set to a "ready" status when the vehicle is being inspected. Some tricks around this problem are turn the car off and then back on really quick or leaving the car running the entire time you inspect it (you're commanded to shut it off at certain points but this causes a reset of the readiness monitors for some reason).

From what I've read, 96 and newer Mitsu electronics prevent reflashing of the ECU to correct much of anything. ALL Chrysler electronics (2gnt's) are reprogramable so you can simply go to the dealer or advanced level repair shop for assistance with your ECU/PCM on those vehicles. 95 year models are not OBDII compliant though they do have numerous OBDII compatible programs and emissions components. 95 is also EEprom and you can reflash them. It may be worth researching DSMLink and some of their OBDII related sections to see if you can set certain criteria to a "ready" or "Don't fail my car" status without having to swap computers in and out each time you're due for inspection.

While I don't have a final solution for this problem I will acknowledge that each station is required to have certain software in place for inspections but they are NOT required to all have the same type of machine. Each machine will have slightly different hardware used for the inspection. Going to a different station may increase your chances of getting your car to pass without "tampering" with anything. Other situations may require ECU/PCM replacement.
Doug

okay, good news for me, hopefully for you all too. I'm in the same boat. I found a sample email to send to the heads of the DMV in my state(MO) to plea for a waiver. I called DMV to find out who to send it to. They told me to call the state DNR. I called them, they were fully in the loop. Said they had our vehicles registered and known for this. He then, over the phone issued me a waiver which will be waiting at my DMV office, and took my address to send the window sticker to me in the mail. I am now on my way to the DMV to get new plates. done deal, no hassle with Satan. I am happy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back