The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

oil shooting out of dipstick

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95 tsi awd

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2005
belleville, New_Jersey
Im looking to buy a car from a friend. The car is not running because he is saying that oil is shooting out of the dipstick and the oil got on the alternater and shorted it out. What would be causing the oil to shoot out of the dipstick?

If it is a 1G replace the dipstick with a 2G. If it is a 2G then get a hose clamp. Pretty common. Some will tell you this is rings, others will say a good engine blows out a dipstick.
I have wonderful compression and my dipstick would blow out on my 1G so i bought a 2G dipstick. Problem solved.

If it is a 1G replace the dipstick with a 2G. If it is a 2G then get a hose clamp. Pretty common. Some will tell you this is rings, others will say a good engine blows out a dipstick.
I have wonderful compression and my dipstick would blow out on my 1G so i bought a 2G dipstick. Problem solved.

^^^^^ Good answer

i had something like this happen. as i was driving down the highway my car smelt very funny, so i pulled off and there was oil all over on the bottom of my hood. so we bought a 2g dipstick as mentioned above. no problems.

The only problem I have found with the 2G dipstick is it's plastic. I recently broke mine off. So just be a little more cautious when working around it. At least they are super cheap at the dealer. :)

I would check the PCV valve...replacing a dipstick is not the solution. Your dipstick is blowing out because there's too much pressure in the crankcase.

I would check the PCV valve...replacing a dipstick is not the solution. Your dipstick is blowing out because there's too much pressure in the crankcase.

period:thumb: although a badly worn diptsick will blow out under normal conditions.... I just use a small strip of electrical tape... sounds getto but works perfectly

yes need better ventilation or a better seals (rings etc)... wait... do we even have a crankcase breather?

He said the vehicle isnt running. It could also be from having bad rings or a hole in the piston. Take it from me that what I just did. Pretty cool to see the dipstick shoot out about 10 feet in the air.

So most likely, if i get a 2G dipstick, it will solve my problem? Also, should i get a new PCV valve?

Thanks guys.

So most likely, if i get a 2G dipstick, it will solve my problem? Also, should i get a new PCV valve?

Thanks guys.

Make sure to replace the alternator before buying the car... start it up and make sure thats the problem. Dont go through all this work for parts and find out it needs a new motor not just a new dipstick/alternator.

If you jump the car it will start, but it will die when you take the jumper off of the car. It does start

Just before I left back to Iraq my dipstick was popping out & the oil was going everywhere. The oil cap also started leaking as well. My heat shield went on fire from this. I replaced the OEM oil cap with a brand new OEM oil cap and I tied down the dipstick as well. I thought I solved the problem but when I ran it at the track it leaked worse than ever. Any idea's on what is causing this?

I had a problem with the dipstick blowing out on my 1g after i had turned the boost up to 20lbs. I traced mine down to the pcv valve was leaking. I ended up solving the problem with a new oem Mitsu pcv valve (don't use a cheap part store replacement, they are junk) and added a check valve in between the pcv valve and manifold. This is what I used: Liquid/Gas Check Valves - US Plastic Corporation
I have not had a problem since.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back