The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

how can i bypass the air conditioning low refrigerant pressure switch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanatic26

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2006
Patterson, California
On my 1996 GST I have a functional A/C system with a bad pressure switch on the top of the compressor. This was verified by a mechanic as we charged the system and he ran some kind of a bypass blowing ice cold air. My question is, how can I do this myself? I had the system leak tested and filled and I know its full. I just want to bypass the bad switch for now.

You can make a simple jumper wire to jump across the two pins on the pigtail.

This technique is normally only used to make the compressor run initially to draw freon into the system when the system has been completely drained. You should NOT drive your car around with the low pressure switch bypassed; the freon carries the oil throughout the system. If you force the compressor to run when there's too little freon in the system, the compressor will not get proper lubrication and fail.

If you suspect the low pressure switch to be bad, REPLACE IT. You do not have to drain most systems to replace the switch.

Found zero other post that helped with this problem. When I turn on the A/C in the car, the compressor clutch kicks in and out, nonstop. Suspected Low R134, charged and still have the problem. Next suspect, Pressure cycling switch, O'reillys computer doesn't show the car to have one. Anyone have an idea?
thanks

The low-pressure system must be near the 45psi mark for the compressor to run constantly. You also MUST have the "recirc" option chosen over "fresh" on the dash lever.

Recently I was having a similar issue with my father's '98 Caravan. The compressor it uses is identical to a DSM compressor (the van has the Mitsu 3.0 V6). I absolutely could NOT get the compressor to stay running constant with 45psi on the low side. Last week, the compressor took a dump on him.

Ok, I can't remember. To check the charge on the A/C system.
I hooked up gauge turned the motor on and the A/C on. Is this the correct combination?

Nevermind, I got desperate and released some pressure out of the high side with the motor running and A/C on, the compressor stopped kicking in and out after I released a good amount of r134. Conclusion = Overcharging the system is not hard to do. Still scratching head because it had these symptoms before I overcharged it. Anywho! It work now.

Note* Recovery of r134 was done by EPA certified technician.

I'm also having some problems with my 98 Talon GS's A/C System. The compressor isn't kicking on. I've checked and the refrigerant level is good. I jumped the compressor clutch and it is working ok. I jumped the 2 wires on the dual pressure switch to ground as described in a post above. I even jumped the switch in the dash. The only time the compressor will kick on is if I jump it to 12v then it kicks on and everything works ok but it won't come on by itself.

I read above about a automatic compressor controller. Do these controllers come on the 2.0L Non-turbo Talons? If so, where is it located in the car and is there a way to test it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back