The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] Clutch slips when fluid is hot?? [No, it was pump-up. Again.]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luisjo

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto_Rico
Ok so the problem goes as this.... I changed my master cylinder, and let me tell you the clutch fluid was awfull almost like rotten so i chenged and then i find out that the clutch is slipping, so i change the slave cylinder and it still does the same thing.

The problem goes like this: I start my car in the morning and the clutch is working like it should grabbing down... so after the car warms up (doesent matter if running or just in the driveway) the clutch will start to slip even in first gear almost wont take off and the cluthc will grab at the end of the pedal, today i figured out that when i does that, i turned off the car and within 30 seconds i sprayed the master cylinder and the lines (without touching the transmision) and turned the car on and the problem was GONE, until it got hot again, i bought a clucth kit today but i know whitin me that is not the problem im really deppressed now because i cant figure the problem out and i need my car ASAP. PLEASEE some one help me what can it be? i remember that when i changed the pump it was raining (you know water expands as it gets hot so it can cause pressure on the system and wont let the clutch grab) but i bled the thing like 3 times, i think i could flush it but i dont know how,

Hey, dont call out the motor just yet, i had the exact same problem, turned out to be the pedal itself was out of adjustment, check and see how far down your pedal goes down with the motor off, and cold. then warm her up and check again, i found that my pedal actually was changing positions when hot/cold. the pedal was so far out of adjustment that it was actually back to the point where it worked....wich i believe is the end of the rod, if you are there, scroll it all the way back to the base and start your adjustment. what happens is the clutch never actually fully clamps down but feels like it, when your HW gets warmed up just that .009 of an inch feels like a mile and allows the clutch to pull away from the flywheel. check that before you do anything major. on the crankwalk subject, there are tons of ways to test for it on these lovely forums.:rocks:

the clutch pulls away from the flywheel like it should, the thing is that the pedal will star (rising) to the point that i take my foot off the pedal completely and the clutch wont grab "enough" and will slip like there is no tomorrow

But i have my hanes manual let me check the adjustment and get back to you

the clutch pulls away from the flywheel like it should, the thing is that the pedal will star (rising) to the point that i take my foot off the pedal completely and the clutch wont grab "enough" and will slip like there is no tomorrow

HA! exactly what mine was doin, adjust that bad boy, youre fine!:thumb:

well i ajusted the screw to go as far in as posible and drove it like 15 minutes on the street before y started doing the same thing, the clutch pedal gets as hard to press as the brake so there is pressure building up inside the lines don't know how nor why something must be f***ed up and i dont know what it is, again when is cold the car drives normally

Thank you m50. (Although I suggest you use spell check LOL Basically you need to adjust the pedal to a point where it's completely engaged well before the pedal is all the way up.

In addition to pump up, you need to bleed well. Could be that the air in the system expands when it gets hot and is screwing with you.

i was reading Pedal pump up just about now, but i didnt understand well what i need to do (my english can only go so far since spanish is my native tongue) the thing is that the "bolt" that came with the pump was ALOT larger than the other one it had (i assume OEM) so i cut it to alittle bigger than the stock one, the screw is all the way in it can go so i dont know what to do, also it talks about a release valve in the master cylinder se photo, i dont know what that is, thanks

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipsetech/clutch/2g-clutcumastercyl-guts.jpg

You cant see the release valve unless you take apart the master cylinder. Like I explained, the basic jist is to adjust the pedal to a point where the clutch is completely engaged before the pedal is all the way up.

Ok, so i took out the screw and cut it using a grinder, then installed again so it could go all the way out, the problem was really simple i opened up another master cylinder and found the release valve is a tiny button located like .09 of an inch before the pedal goes all the way out, so even the slightest mis-adjustment will create the thing known as "pedal pump up".... i solved my problem and maybe some other dude with the same problem... i haven't tested the car yet but tomorrow i will to see results...

Does anyone know what would cause my clutch to do this?

The previous owner gave me the reciepts that he had when he had the trans rebuilt. He also upgraded to an ACT 2600 and ACT Flywheel and all of this was done under 8,000 mile ago.

Anyway it happens after about 20 minutes of driving, I'll go to put it in 3rd or 4th and it will just slip from 3k. It builds boost but just doesn't go anywhere and it only happens after I've been driving alittle. I don't really feel and difference in the clutch when this happens either. If its cold I can pull to 6k+ no problems. I know the car has been sitting a while and I really only just got it running about 2 weeks ago but I'm not really sure what could be causing this? I'm thinking of ordering a ss clutch line, bleeding the system, and hoping that it was just water/air in it. Any other suggestions? Possible clutch is going already?

Thanks John

Get under the car pull the little rubber boot back on the transmission you cant miss it, see if the clutch is yellow that will tell you if its a ACT.

could be the same thing that happened to me too much power(but i was on a stock clutch) which is designed to slip to an extent but it shouldnt happen to an act 2600 i think its that the material is getting heated up and not engaging that well so i dont know

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back