The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Replaced head gasket Still white smoke help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepypsi

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2008
Star, North_Carolina
I just replaced my head gasket, the head wasn't warped. After I got it back together It started right up but idled at 3000 rpm. White smoke was still coming out of the exhaust but it didn't smell like antifreeze like before and water didn't mix with the new oil. I let it run a while to try to trouble shoot it, I idled it down with the idle screw. I unplugged the mass air sensor from the filter and the idle didn't change. Before If i'd do that the car would cut off or idle really bad. Any ideals??? Thanks!

Your turbo might be wasted. Your idle might be off because your throttle cable is jacked up after you put it back together. Throttle cable is either put on wrong or you have it pulled out too far. Check that out.

Turbo may be a prob, maybe, how is the in/out side to side shaft play?.
Head not installed correctly or torqued correctly, maybe.
All the coolant coming out of the exhaust left overs of the last head cause you did not clean all the coolant out of the exhaust, More then likely this is you answer.

Ok i've been trouble shooting a little more. Now I can put my hand over the muffler while the car is at idle and i'll get antifreeze on my hand and there is also water mixed with the oil again. I used a fel-pro headgasket ( I know there crappy) I cleaned the head and block up and installed the head gasket and torqued it in three steps 35,55,72 lbs following the manual. It started smoking white on start up. Now when I start it, it runs fine for about two mins then starts smoking. I didn't take the head to the machine shop because I didn't think it was warped because I didn't get it real hot and I drove the car a few times after I fixed the coolant problem and it hadn't blown. It seemed that the gasket just got weak and gave way. The turbo would spin free and didn't have any shaft play. The engine has 400 miles on it since its been re-ringed and a new turbo. Can oil/water mix in the turbo?? Thanks for any info!!!

Heres my mods..... EVO III Big 16g ported, 2nd gen pistons, HK$ 264/272 cams, ARP Head Studs, Fluidyne radiator, Balance shafts removed, 2nd gen ported manifold, ported O2, Supra Sidemount, 2nd gen MAS, Dejon intake, walboro 255lph, S-AFC, turbo-back exhaust, ACT2600, SS clutch and brake lines, big brake upgrade with powerslots , KYB struts, A/F & Boost gauge, Blitz dual turbo timer, Greddy electronic boost controller, Greddy EGT gauge, 550cc injectors, Manual steering rack

Fel Pro headgasket is fine. It's just like a stock OEM one. My question is did you reuse your stock head bolts? If you did that could be your problem. Stock head bolts should never be reused. If they are ARP headstuds don't be scared to torque them down to 80 to 85. Good chances on an overheat that you warped the head. And if you overheated it bad you could have wasted your piston rings again. So many scenarios.

Thanks for the info I guess i'll take it back apart and take the head to a machine shop. The arp head bolts were only hand tight when I took the head off, is that the way they are suppose to be?? I torqued the nuts to 72 lbs.

Thanks for the info I guess i'll take it back apart and take the head to a machine shop. The arp head bolts were only hand tight when I took the head off, is that the way they are suppose to be?? I torqued the nuts to 72 lbs.

What ever happend with this? I'm very curious...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back