The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

power surge, fuse box clicking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotgrip666

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2005
middletown, New_York
ok i've been having this problem for a while now, but its gotten worse, i have the battery relocate kit, my power keeps jumping up and down and i here a clicking noise loud coming from the engine fuse box, now any body have any suggestions on what i can do here?
the car keeps dying because of it and i know the alternator is fine

I'm not positive if we have the same problem BUT, my car does the same thing, and I traced the "clicking noise" to a valve mounted on the firewall with 2 vacumn lines attached, i believe it is EGR related and havent got a chance to look at it yet though.

no its deffitnetly the fuse box it makes my wipers and shit move some times like it sureges the power from the correct 13.5 to 11.1 then like 14.5 the box sometimes sparks when it makes the clicking, are the relays the blox square fuses? i took out the fan fuse and it stopped but the i put it back in and it didnt do it for a while then yesterday it got really bad and i took the fuse out and it still did it, how do you take out the black duses to check them?

gotgrip, that link I posted was for cavillac :p

The black boxes in your fuse box are the relays. To remove them, you just pull them out. I would try and listen and see which relay is clicking. If need be, get a rod or something to help pinpoint which one (put one end of rod on relay and other near ear - kind of like a stethoscope).

Edit: Added relay test information/images from manual.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 762
  • relay2.jpg
    relay2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 703
its been doing it since i let some ####tard mechanic put an alternator in for me, i have been threw thee since then, and i have narrowed it down to not being the alternators anymore so all im looking at with that click and surging is a fuse problem? what if i just pick them out one at a time and see wich one makes the clicking and flashing stop? i have the fuel pump fuse in the trunk of the car because of the batterey relocation is a 10 amp fuse big enough for that?

thanks for the help with that diagram soon as it stops raining im gonna go check the stuff out

ECU!? I've had to replace 2 already, one for each talon. I would start it, gauges would jump, and what sounded like clicking from the dash board, ended up to be an ECU. Check it out, if it is it, I recommend motoguys, they sell them cheap with a 1 year warranty.

what if i just pick them out one at a time and see wich one makes the clicking and flashing stop?

I would try and determine which relay might be bad before I just started pulling them out. I don't know if it'd have any adverse effects if you just started pulling.

gotgrip666 said:
i have the fuel pump fuse in the trunk of the car because of the batterey relocation is a 10 amp fuse big enough for that?

No it's not. I'd run a 30 amp fuse in there.

i have dsmlink, its not the ecu i had that checked a while ago for other issues the click is coming from the fuse box, i put my ear to it and its click and occassionaly see a spark under it im gonna try and determin wich fuse it is tomorrow, you have to get those ones from the dealer rite? do u know how much they cost about?

ok today i got down to buisness with v8der and this is what happened so far

i pulled every black fuse out whil the car was running, and it still was popping, so then i noticed it was making only my fan come on and off so, i unplugged the fan and plugged it back in and i sat there for 5 min and heard no clicking, so think im in the clear?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back