The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cam Angle Sensor Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mharrison

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 7, 2006
Madison, Mississippi
also you could check the cam angle sensor, this tells the injectors when to spray fuel. simple check you could unplug it after its running, and it should work in the open loop function, where the injectors are constantly spraying fuel. but if it makes no difference in the idle you might have found your problem. just an easy check to rule that out.

The above is from another thread. When I unplug my Cam Angle Sensor, the car just dies immediately. Does this mean it's bad? Or is the above test not valid?

I dont know what that guy is talking about.

Your CAS controls your spark. No CAS, no spark.

Are you thinking your CAS is bad? If so, do a simple CAS test.

Unbolt the CAS from the head.
Pull all your spark plugs.
Turn the key to the ON position (engine NOT running).
Spin the CAS to verify all your spark plugs spark.

Well, I have an intermittent miss. It tends to miss under idle (most of the time) and occasionally under acceleration. Also throws a P0302 code.

Coil Good, Plugs Good, Wires Good, Injectors Good, trying to find the problem.

How do you know they are all good?

Did you test the coils? Plugs are NGKs? Grounds are good? Injectors are cleaned?

I appreciate the input. Here are the responses:

Did you test the coils?
Replaced the coil with a brand new one. No Change. (I had access to one at no charge!)

Plugs are NGKs?
Plugs are NGK's. All plugs work in all cylinders except #2. Verified this by swapping them around. They all still generate a misfire in cylinder #2 according to the computer codes.

Grounds are good?
What grounds?

Injectors are cleaned?
#2 Injector has been replaced, others indicate no signs of being problematic. Can hear the electromagnet in all coils firing.

Compression is good on all 4 cylinders.
Timing is good.
Car was running like a top with a new timing belt, new water pump, and rebuilt head for about 5k miles before this misfire occurred.
Throttle body has been cleaned.
EGR valve has been tested.

Don't put all of your faith in the ECU's determination of specific cylinder misfire.

Try checking the connections at the knock and crank sensors, and that the magnet in the cam sensor is not cracked.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back