The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G How do i tell if my car has abs and disc brake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hun6over

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2007
Bayarea, California
HI, i have a 97 eclipse gs-t spyder. My passenger side rear suspension knuckle is broken so i need it replaced but i am unsure of which specific kind of knuckle i would need so basically i need to know which kind of knuckle i need.

On this page: http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...=1997&graphicID=F703150&callout=3&catalogid=1 , it gives 2 options for my car, one with abs and one without. Can anyone tell me how i can tell if my car has abs or not so i can make the right choice.

Also, when i brought my car into the shop for inspection, they told me that i need a knuckle specifically for disc brake type, but the Mitsubishi catalog doesnt give an option for disc or drum brake system. So i am wondering if there is really any difference if the knuckle fits a disc or drum brake or if it is universal.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I found this on ebay so i was wondering if it would fit my application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abs is under hood . Something like this .

Attachments

• O.jpg
    O.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 989
Abs is under hood . Something like this .

Actually, on a 2g, it is behind the bumper.

The 2g gst only came with rear disc brakes so that is no concern. As for abs, look under the rear and see if there is a sensor with a wire going to it in the knuckle. If so, it has abs. Or you could just get the abs knuckle which will work fine for non-abs cars. The non-abs knuckle is just missing the hole for the abs sensor and nothing else is different.

If you do have abs, you might end up having to replace the sensor in the knuckle also. Most that I have seen had the sensor rusted tight in the hole and cant be removed from the old knuckle without damaging it.

Actually, on a 2g, it is behind the bumper.

The 2g gst only came with rear disc brakes so that is no concern. As for abs, look under the rear and see if there is a sensor with a wire going to it in the knuckle. If so, it has abs. Or you could just get the abs knuckle which will work fine for non-abs cars. The non-abs knuckle is just missing the hole for the abs sensor and nothing else is different.

If you do have abs, you might end up having to replace the sensor in the knuckle also. Most that I have seen had the sensor rusted tight in the hole and cant be removed from the old knuckle without damaging it.

:coy: Damn 2g question . I stand corrected . Thanks :thumb: .

Would a knuckle from a 97 eclipse with drum brakes work on my car? Mines is disc brake.

It should work just fine. I converted my 97 rs from drum to disc removed from a 97 gst. I used the rs knuckles and everything bolted up just like it is supposed to with no issues at all. The only difference would be between abs and non abs. But as I already stated, the abs knuckle fit both just fine.

Does drum brakes come with abs? because this guy has a knuckle on his gs but it is drum brakes in the rear and he claims to have abs.

THis would be me last question. Thanks for all the advice and info guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back