The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Loud Tick, Bad Idle, and Trouble Starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broox

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 9, 2002
Des Moines, Iowa
So my DSM has just gotten to the point of me not caring about tuning anymore and just caring about keeping it running until I can afford a new car.
It's got 175,000 miles on it, paint is chipping off, rust is appearing, and everything just seems to be breaking. I haven't messed with any engine internals - all of my mods are just bolt on. So here we go....

Problem 1: Loud Tick at idle (lifters)

Suddenly I started getting some really loud ticking noise that sounds exactly like lifter tick, but is now much louder than before. It only happens at low idle (around 1,000ish) and goes away once I get the RPMs up to about 1,500. What could this be? Is it just lifter tick? Should I be concerned? It doesn't bother me too much, it's just a bit annoying and embarrassing... like the rest of my car.

Problem 2: Rough Idle

I know, this gets asked a million times on this forum...
It could be a boost leak, but I doubt it. I just fixed a bunch of leaks recently. I'll test for it regardless...
It almost seems like it's missing fires on the spark plugs or something... When I'm not applying gas it just seems like it coughs. Whether I'm sitting at idle or if I take my foot off the gas to slow down. My spark plugs are only about 8,000 miles old, and my plug wires are 23,000 miles old so I doubt it's misfiring due to those...

I also replaced the Idle Air Control Valve 10,000 miles ago.

Problem 3: Trouble starting at times

A few times in the past month or 2 it's really turned over a lot before starting. It's only happened a handful of times so I'm not too concerned yet... but those times it seemed to start right up when I pressed the accelerator. Could this be a starter? Fuel Injectors?

Anyway, thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

The first problem is from what i have heard lifter tick, the second problem could be a worn TB gasket if you have done boost leaks and replaced the isc motor, or a vacuum line is disconnected. The hard starting sounds like it is from low compression caused by worn rings because, the car has 175,000 miles on it.

Well, I hadn't gotten a chance to check it out yet and now today it straight won't start. Not even turning over or anything - it's making a different noise than I'm used to.

I haven't really looked at anything, but when I got home last night I heard a little clunk when I shut it off - which is something new. Then when I tried to start it this morning I get this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9###mklLEY

WTF, vbulletin, that word is part of the url.

the video id on you tube (separated by spaces) is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t 9 f a g m k l L E Y

Here are the pics of the timing belt after i pulled the cover

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I honestly have no idea about engine internals aside from some light reading here on dsmtuners. where should i start with this? remove the valve cover? drain the oil and check for metal?

any direction would really help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back