The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Which way does the oil flow? filter direction

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

focusedrage

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2002
Laytonsville, Maryland
I know i should know this, but i dont, so i would like to know which direction the oil flows through the filter, so that i can set up my new oil system. I have the cooler eliminator housing and hoses and what not, but im not sure which hole in said housing will the dirty hot oil flow out of. Thanks.

Been a while but I'm pretty sure it flows OUT of the hole in the center of the Filter - Thru the bolt of course - TO the Engine. See my Gallery for some 1G OFH pics. :dsm:

it would have to go the other way or the anti drainback valve would block it up.

Well, if what you're saying is what I mean, it sounds like you're wording it backward.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 3,057
The center threaded hole on the filter is the clean oil out, and the several holes are the oil inlet into the filter, correct?

Just verifying that the oil pressure sender port on a forward facing filter housing is the clean oil.

Thank you.
Kris

I was installing my oil cooler this weekend and was thinking; which way does the oil flow through the oil filter? Is it pumped out of that center tube that you screw the filter onto? Ive been searching "How stuff works" as well as this sight and cant find anything on that specific subject.

The reason I ask is I was just looking at the sandwich adapter and wasnt positive on the way it was supposed to go on. It was used so there arent directions but one side had a couple seals on it and the other didnt. I assume the side with the seals mates to the engine oil housing because the oil filter has its own seal and now everything is properly sealed. It looks like there is also a ball and spring style pressure relieve built in so hopefully I have it in there correctly.

Thanks.

The oil flows into the outer ring of the filter, and out the center threaded part.

You are correct in which way to install the adaptor.

The oil flows into the outer ring of the filter, and out the center threaded part.

You are correct in which way to install the adaptor.

Sweet thanks, that puts my mind at ease. One more thing though. I see some kits are like thermostat controlled or something. I dont believe mine is though. Looks like it'll just flow all the time. That shouldnt be a problem though, right?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back