The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Front-Rear play on front passenger wheel? Need suspension and braking expertise!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixx1000

Probationary Member
Oct 13, 2006
Thornton, Colorado
I just noticed that the eclipse I bought a few months ago has some play in the front passenger wheel. It's like I can rotate that wheel forward and back about 1/2" more than the other wheels. The brake rotor and everything moves with the wheel, there is definitely some excess play in there. I'm going to take the wheel off tonight and have a look, but anyone know what might be causing this? I thought wheel bearings would give side to side play, this wheel can roll forward and backward more, so it's not the same. Any ideas?

take a look at your upper and lower control arm bushings and all the ball joints. if any of those are worn out it will cause excess play in the wheel and you dont wanna have one of those break while your driving. losing a wheel at highway speeds isnt fun

1g's bont have upper control arms. Nor do they have upper ball joints.

With that being said, side to side wheel play is often from a tie rod, either inner or outer. Have someone wiggle the tire while you watch the outer that connects to the steering knuckle. If it moves, its bad. If it doesn't move, grab the shaft of the inner tie rod. If you feel it "clicking" , it is bad.

You will need an alignment if you replace one of these. It is nearly impossible to get the toe correct without an alignment.

In some rare cases, the lower ball joint may also give the feel of side to side play. More often then not, it will feel like up and down play. Might as well check it while you have the front end jacked up. With the tire about 3-4" off the ground, stick a bar under the tire, and pry up with one hand while your other hand is on the lower ball joint. If there is any play, replace it.

Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the replies, but the play is forward to back, like the same direction the tire rolls. I had never seen play like this, and it is significant. I put my foot on the tire while the car is in gear and the parking brake is engaged. I can roll only the front passenger tire back and forth while the rest of the car and the wheels don't move. Any ideas?

Maybe a break caliper or brake hose not working properly. That is the only thing I could think of. Does it pull one way when you are coming to a stop when on the brakes?

Maybe a break caliper or brake hose not working properly. That is the only thing I could think of. Does it pull one way when you are coming to a stop when on the brakes?

Not only is there pull when you brake; is there any noise coming from that area while you are driving, or is there any excess noise coming from that area when you hit a bump?

I once lost a bolt from the caliper mount and it caused exactly what you are describing. Take off the tire and inspect everything including the strut brackets and bolts, the lower control arm, the brake caliper mounts, the wheel bearing and anything else under there. Have fun and good luck.

Had a quick look tonight and it looks like it's the lower control arm bushings. I can see the whole control arm move forward and backward when I roll the wheel forward slightly. The ball joints don't look great either, so it looks like I'm going to have a fun-filled weekend. I'll definitely check the caliper bolts too. Anything else I should replace while I have all of that apart? Thanks all!

I know super old thread but did the control arm bushings fix the problem? I'm experience the same exact problem with my 1g passenger side wheel.

Hey atleast I use the search button LOL.

Nevermind. I actually had a minute to myself today for a change and just checked and its def my control arm bushings. The entire control arm rocks back and forth at the bushings when I rock the wheel. Thank you for this thread tuners.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back