The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Hub Assembly won't come off, any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPD CAT

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 18, 2005
macedonia, Ohio
I've been trying to replace this hub on the driverside for quite some time now and the thing just won't give me any luck. i've been following along the Haynes Manual, it pretty much just says to disconnect the ball joints from the lower control arm and the compression arm (looks like a second lower control arm) i can't get the splines free, i've sprayed it with PB Blaster, WD, Kroil, and whacked it a few good times with a sledge hammer (the kind with a rubber outer layer) and no luck. i really like to work on cars myself instead of taking it to a mechanic, i feel like i have no other choice, anyone have any tips? i have the new hub assembly but, the one that's on there isn't going without a fight, i need to get this off soon, any tips or tricks for this? i haven't tried a hub puller, didn't think i would need it, oh and i am in ohio, so there is some rust involved with this too:thumb: thanks for any help in advance!

Do you have a puller? Maybe if you put constant pressure on it, and increased it (with the use of a puller) you could get the hub to come off.

The mechanic will probably use a combination of the puller, heat, and a hammer.

Worse comes to worse................pull the whole axle assembly out of the tranny with the knuckle were you can really get at it.

cool, thanks guys i do have access to all of those tools mentioned, this will give me a reason to bring the torch out now, it's been in the shed for quite some time, i really appreciate the info on this, it's been drivin me crazy, to quote the little red head kid from Talladega Nights,"I'm gon come at that hub assembly like a spider monkey!" i won't scissor kick it in the back of the head though haha, thanks again guys, have a great holiday and safe New Year!:thumb:

The only real thing a mechanic will do differently is be less scared to smash on the thing with a hammer and torch the hell out of it. It will come loose its just gonna take some elbow grease

The only real thing a mechanic will do differently is be less scared to smash on the thing with a hammer and torch the hell out of it. It will come loose its just gonna take some elbow grease

cool, thanks, i'll get started on that asap, i figured while i was in there i'd replace the control arms/bushings i have the upper and the lowers but can't find the second lower control arm (compression arm) u guys know where i can find it, i went to the mitsu dealer to get it and he said that it was different cause my car was a talon not a eclipse, i thought it was the same but he wouldn't sale it to me cause he said it was different, so i asked for a compression arm for a 98 eclipse and he still wouldnt sale it, i don't know what the difference would be but i feel like i'm gettin the shaft. any info on where to get this instead?

ok so i got the hub bearing replaced and realized that the driver side is going also, but that's not the problem, the problem is that when i was beating on the splined shaft trying to get it out of the hub, it was hitting the ball joint on the compression arm and tore it open a little bit, i want to replace the ball joint if i can't replace the whole compression arm, i'm replacing the lower control arms, already replaced the upper control arms, and i'm replacing the tie rods.

do you guys know where i can get the whole compression arm besides the dealer ship, i have access to a ton of parts for this car through my job through Moog, but not the compression arm, if i can't replace the whole thing i'll just replace the ball joint, thanks in advance for any info, merry christmas and happy new year!!:thumb:

The mechanic will probably use a combination of the puller, heat, and a hammer.

Worse comes to worse................pull the whole axle assembly out of the tranny with the knuckle were you can really get at it.

Most mechnics would probably use and air hammer with a pointed tip so has not to balloon the shaft end. That what I do.

Telnut
"Motor oil in my veins, nuts and bolts in my brain."

Most mechnics would probably use and air hammer with a pointed tip so has not to balloon the shaft end. That what I do.

Telnut
"Motor oil in my veins, nuts and bolts in my brain."

ok, well it's cool now, i got it, i just heated the hub and hit it with a hammer and it slid right out, but the thing is, in the process of getting the assembly off the shaft i damaged the boot on the lower "compression arm" i would like to replace the whole assembly if possible instead of just the ball joint itself, anyone know where i can get the whole compression arm with ball joint instead of just the ball joint? if i can't get the whole thing then just the ball joint? thanks for any info. happy new year!:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back