The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Dipstick Dip Stick popped, popping, blow, blowing, blew out [Merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrcco

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2002
Bowie, Maryland
I just installed a different head after my timing belt went. Everything is back together and the break-in period is over. Last night i revved past 5,000 rpm. for the first time and noticed it was struggling, I let off at 5,500. Then a riced-out Honda cruised by so i stepped on it, went to about 6,000 rpm's, now theres a huge cloud of smoke behind my car. I opened the hood to notice my dipstick shot up, and oil sprayed all over the underneath of my hood, then dripped all over the motor and exhaust. What could be the problem? I already replaced the PCV valve and does the same thing???

Last edited by a moderator:
ROOKIE1 said:
They said it should not be sealed at all .
??? The air goes into the catch can and back out into the intake so it doesn't stop the flow anywhere.

TWACK said:
I will try that, just don't want to blow up the engine. :thumb: Is there anything else that may be causing the excessive pressure in the engine that I could check as well? Just want to make sure I am not covering up a warning sign to a bigger problem.

Have you actually replaced the PCV valve? You made no mention of actually replacing it yet; however, it's a $4 part that can rule out at least one potential problem.

VelocitàPaola said:
Have you actually replaced the PCV valve? You made no mention of actually replacing it yet; however, it's a $4 part that can rule out at least one potential problem.
Yes I replaced the PCV with one from the Dealership, as noted in forum title "already changed PCV." Thanks for the idea though.

Also, I think you're missing the point of a catch can... The PCV system draws air in through the port on your intake, which then goes through the crankcase picking up blowby, before finally getting sucked into the intake manifold via the PCV valve. By having the catchcan between the intake and the crankcase, you're just sucking fresh air through it. It's not actually "catching" anything.

I'm just throwing that out there because I don't think you're catchcan setup was installed correctly...

VelocitàPaola said:
Also, I think you're missing the point of a catch can... The PCV system draws air in through the port on your intake, which then goes through the crankcase picking up blowby, before finally getting sucked into the intake manifold via the PCV valve. By having the catchcan between the intake and the crankcase, you're just sucking fresh air through it. It's not actually "catching" anything.

I'm just throwing that out there because I don't think you're catchcan setup was installed correctly...
The catchcan is not on the PCV at all. It is in between the hose on the side of the valve cover that goes into the intake.

DSMunknown said:

I'm not a big fan of these mods because they attempt to band-aid a bigger problem. You could epoxy your dipstick in place, but for whatever reason, the crankcase is still being pressurized. You need to find out exactly HOW it's getting pressurized.

Are you sure you installed the PCV valve in the right direction? If you installed it backwards, it won't work the same.

VelocitàPaola said:
I'm not a big fan of these mods because they attempt to band-aid a bigger problem. You could epoxy your dipstick in place, but for whatever reason, the crankcase is still being pressurized. You need to find out exactly HOW it's getting pressurized.

Are you sure you installed the PCV valve in the right direction? If you installed it backwards, it won't work the same.
Positive I did it right, long thin tube in the valve cover, part with the lip around it on the outside and the hose connects to it.

travislaw said:
The catchcan is not on the PCV at all. It is in between the hose on the side of the valve cover that goes into the intake.

I know, but when I say "PCV," I'm not just referring to the PCV valve itself: I'm talking about the whole PCV system. That breather hose is apart of the PCV system.

travislaw said:
Positive I did it right, long thin tube in the valve cover, part with the lip around it on the outside and the hose connects to it.

Hmm... well you got me; I can't think of anything else. Hopefully a 4G63 PCV guru will jump in soon.

VelocitàPaola said:
I know, but when I say "PCV," I'm not just referring to the PCV valve itself: I'm talking about the whole PCV system. That breather hose is apart of the PCV system.
OH OMG , gotcha.

travislaw said:
Okay let me rephrase what I meant. There is a line that goes from the valve cover to the catch can, then a line going out of the catch can into the air intak snorkel. So in that case it is sealed.

That is the proper way of doing it. It is set up like stock minus the oil going into the IC pipes. Try doing a compression/leak down test to determine the health of your rings/valve seals.

Well i've blown my dipstick out like i'm sure many of you have, and I looked up simple fixes for it. Well the things I came up with were to make a bracket, or to use a hoseclamp and I've tried a couple of these ways but most were a hassle and a pain. What I found that worked really well was an extension spring that can easily be found in almost any hardware store.

It was a little over $1 for 2 of them at Lowes and it fit perfect. The end can easily be attached to the dipstick by sliding it around the top, and it holds it securly.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I was able to easily mount it to the metal clip on the radiator fan. But I guess if you were without it you could mount a small hose clamp lower down on the dipstick and hook to that.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This has worked great for me for the last 6 months with no issues, and I remember how much of a pain it was trying to tie it down with wire every time I wanted to check my oil. For that Reason I decided to share another method that seems to work. So if this has already been posted feel free to delete it, because I don't really know if it has. :)

Pretty cool man looks like it will work. I just used some pliers and clamped it shut a little more so it holds tight. Almost impossible to get off when the motor is cold but real easy when warm.

Securing your dipstick is NOT a good fix.

The dipstick blowing out is due to crank case pressure. This can be due to several reasons. Either your valve cover breather is not functioning properly, your PCV is not functioning properly, or your rings are not sealing properly. These all have serious consequences if not fixed. Check your PCV to see that it is sealing under boost conditions, do a compression test, and look over your valve cover and the hoses going from the valve cover breather.

Securing the dipstick like that is just a bandaid and not good for your car.

Well after I did blow it out a while ago I did replace my pcv valve, and then then afterwards it did only did vibrate out about 1mm so I did this to prevent that.

No_Skillz said:
Securing your dipstick is NOT a good fix.

The dipstick blowing out is due to crank case pressure. This can be due to several reasons. Either your valve cover breather is not functioning properly, your PCV is not functioning properly, or your rings are not sealing properly. These all have serious consequences if not fixed. Check your PCV to see that it is sealing under boost conditions, do a compression test, and look over your valve cover and the hoses going from the valve cover breather.

Securing the dipstick like that is just a bandaid and not good for your car.
good to know thanks.

Great info. I crimped my tube a tad, so it was tighter, becuase the rubber worn down over the years : ( stupid blow by.

Well, I just recently got my 91 TSI Eagle running and an old problem that the past owner had came up...after driving just a few minutes, the oil dipstick will pop up and shoot oil out all over the engine...is there a crankcase breather or something that will get rid of the pressure in the oil pan that could be clogged? I really need some help on this one as I want to get this going tonight...

I got this info from the VFAQ website.. Check it out... its helped me out ALOT.. www.vfaq.com

Dipstick popping out - happens due to crankcase pressure pushing the dipstick up:

A good running motor will blow out a dip stick with a shriveled hard rubber seal
A dead motor (lots of blow by, busted pistons) will blow out a good dipstick
A 1/2 dead motor will blow out a 1/2 dead dip stick
Depending on the actual cause and the severity, the fixes can be:
A spring/wire to hold the dipstick down
Pinch the tube at the top a bit
Get a new dipstick
A full engine rebuild or new pistons
If it blows out under boost with a glowing red turbo and manifold, it makes a nice engine fire. If it happens even once, figure out the cause and fix it.

yes dsm's features a pcv system that sucks clean air (from the intake) into the valve cover, and pushes blowby gasses out through the pcv valve, and into the intake manifold where they are burned by the engine. This only happens when the intake manifold is under vacume (idle. cruising, deceleration).

Check your valve cover to see if it has been removed on your car. There should be a nipple on the left side of the valve cover when looking at your engine from the font. A hose should run from this to your intake (or be filtered somehow). Now look at the top left corner of the valve cover. There should be a metal piece (pcv valve) that screws into the cover with a hose running to intake manifold. Often this system is removed or modified because it leave a film of oil inside your intercooler pipes, intercooler, intake, ect.

If the whole system is intact, remove the pcv valve and shake it. You should hear a rattling from inside it. It is a 1 way valve. If it doesn't rattle it is clogged and should be replaced.

alright, well the pcv is fine so i clamped the dipstick down. now it will spit just a little bit out from under the filler cap...

and does anybody have a complete wiring harness for this car, this oe is a joke...there are so many hacks and crap going on under the hood. i think this may be a cause of my car not running very good at all. the check engine light comes on after a couple minutes of running it...the import car thing is really kickin my @$$!!

and what would driving the car without the thermostat do? it wasnt in there when i got the car? never made a difference when it ran i guess.

If it was me i would replace the pcv valve anyways.

Having oil come out from the filler cap is bad. There is way to much pressure in the crankcase and valve cover. I would concentrate on finding the problem of this.

Go to the local junkyard for a wiring harness and a thermostat.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back