The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

o2 sensor removal how to

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrockLee GS-T

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 8, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
hey everybody, ive replaced a few o2 sensors now and after the first 2 eating my lunch, i found a way to remove them that hasnt failed me yet, so here it is

first off, here are the tools you'll need
special o2 sensor removal socket
3\8 inch craftsman extension and ratchet, better brands recommended
3' cheater bar to fit over ratchet
screw type coupler clamp(like the ones on the stock intake maf, but to fit o2 socket

So at this Point its pretty straight forward, first place the screw type clamp and slide it down the o2 sensor wire. Take the o2 sensor socket, and put it on the o2 sensor wire, then slide the clamp over the bottom of the o2 sensor socket(this keeps the o2 sensor socket from spreading from insane amounts of torque, in theory a better o2 sensor socket wont spread, but i used a Mac and a snap-on, which are pretty well known brands and both of them spread, so this gives you that extra bite on the socket without having to strip it or cut the wires and use an impact socket). Tighten the clamp as much as you can on the o2 socket and put the extension and ratchet together and get the socket securely on the o2 sensor. Here we use the cheater bar and just let the leverage do the work, just listen for the crack, its an awesome sound...

if any of the mods want a write up for the how-to section just let me know, i just didnt think it was a big deal, but i wanted to spread what i found to work and save a lot of frustration, hope this helps you guys

Does the clamp really hold up better then the socket? haha
Yeah, it's pretty much that easy^^. I've come across a couple sensors really stuck in there, and ran the car for a little bit first to heat up the O2 housing and sensor.

blackbyrd said:
Does the clamp really hold up better then the socket? haha
Yeah, it's pretty much that easy^^. I've come across a couple sensors really stuck in there, and ran the car for a little bit first to heat up the O2 housing and sensor.

actually the clamp is the whole key to stubborn o2's, ive all but rounded a few, then i use the clamp on the last three, and it worked so well i couldnt believe it, it grabs like an impact socket, doesnt spread at all

I think photos of the whole process (as well as the tools used) would be quite helpful in following the instructions.

BrockLee GS-T said:
actually the clamp is the whole key to stubborn o2's, ive all but rounded a few, then i use the clamp on the last three, and it worked so well i couldnt believe it, it grabs like an impact socket, doesnt spread at all

I have an impact O2 Socket... Anyways, I'll believe you that it works, I just haven't had to use it in my journeys.
And do you really need pictures of this? hah

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back