The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

is Dynamat worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclpzLvr97

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2002
Howard county, Maryland
Okay...so I have Infinity speakers all around that I got installed. Sounds awesome except a few bass notes tend to rattle once in a while espcially in passenger door. So then I hear about this Dynamat.... but is it worth it? Anyone get it and notice a difference worth paying for? Thanks.

Sound damper works, BUT it is very time consuming and can add alot of weight to your car. Dynamat is overpriced though, check out www.b-quiet.com They make stuff just as good, if not better.

the only reason dynomat stops rattle is cause it holds the wires and #@%#@%#@%#@% that is ratteling.its too much money.just use like foam or something if you only worried about ratteling.dynomat will make a sound a little better but its not worth the money,time or weight.

Originally posted by clipsegsx
the only reason dynomat stops rattle is cause it holds the wires and #@%#@%#@%#@% that is ratteling.

Ummm, that's not exactly how it works. Any sound damper makes the surface you apply it to more dense. It slows the sound waves down, preventing vibration. Can't say I've heard many cases of "rattling wires".:laugh: It's well worth it if you're planning on competing or are just looking for top-notch audio performance, it's a must have for SQ. Many cases, with only the addition of sound damper, I have seen systems gain 2+dBs. In the audio world, that is quite signifigant. You have to know what you're doing, and use alot of it though.

Johnny5 hit the nail on the head with that post. It can increase up to 2dbs which would normaly require doubling your amps up. Also U should know that there are a few different type of dampners. There is a asphalt based dampner which is the one that is capable of increasing dbs but it is very heavy and would be required across ever possible panel or you can go with the foam based which you put behind the paneling only where it touches(frame, other panels etc.) I personally used about 300- 400 dollars in the foam based dampener, I took apart the dash, and every other piece of interior and It made a huge difference. There was no rattle left after few adjustments. I figure if it can keep a 146.3 Dbs worth of 12"s from rattling my dsm it is worth it.
I would say it took me about 6hours to complete but was well spent time and money.

Alright.... well, for me personally, my car isn't really a racer...just for looks basically with a few performance things here and there, so the weight thing isn't a big deal.
And also, I dont have the whole 9 goin on...no amps, subs, etc... just Infinity speakers. And the main rattling problem (when it does rattle on certain bass notes) is in the front.
So, should I get this done to all speakers or just the problem ones? And, since my car isn't completely hooked up w/subs and whatnot, what kind of damper should I get? Thanks a lot guys.

I would first make sure all your speakers are tight and secure. Then, pinpoint the location of the rattling and only dampen those areas at first. It will most likely require a few tests and additions before you get everything perfect. If it's a flat, easy to access area, then use a couple layers of the asphalt-type as mentioned...otherwise use the foam for those hard to reach areas.

I am a fan of dynamat myself. Right now I'm running (2) Kicker 12 inch Comp Vr's with a Kicker 800.4 amp. I have the complete truck kit in my car. When we installed it we did an incredibly poor job of installing it but yet it still has improved the overall sound quality and amout of vibrations heard from both the inside and the outside. If dynamat is properly installed it does make one hell of a difference. I highly recommend the dynamat spray versus the actual sheets of dynamat.

If U really won't to get rid of that rattle you need to buy a roll of foam based dampener and make a gasket out of the it and put it between the mounting bracket and speaker this will eliminate any resinating sound that is vibrating directly from the speaker through the door. Then listen for trouble spots the are being created by the actually cycle of sound and cut strips and place between whatever is rattling. This whole ordeal should cost U about $30 tops and take about 2hrs but it will be worth it. P.S. If you put the asphalt based dampner behind the speakers on the frame you will notice a farly significant diff in sound quality but not rattle, I just figure if your goin to take your door panels off it might be a good idea to get it all out of the way at once.

Don't use dynamat, use one of 1000 other products that do the exact same thing and don't cost as much.

Properly installed, the stuff is amazing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back