The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Clicking noise after car turned off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

way2slowtalon

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2004
Newington, Connecticut
I noticed a wierd clicking noise when i turn of my car, and goes on for a couple minutes. What could it be?

well for one...where abouts does it come from? the ECU or elsewhere? I have a 90 talon and sometimes the automatic seat belt motor does not engage correctly or something and it clicks like crazy. I have a cd player that beeps a couple times to let me know its turning off...

buy yeah, you need to say more specifically where the "clicking" is coming from

Are you sure it's not the engine cooling off?

Metal expands when heated, shrinks when cooled.

yeah im going to have to go with the metal cooling off.. but you have to describe it a bit more for us to know.

Sounds more like from the fuel rail or injectors area. It's kinda a popping clicking sound.

listen to any car after its heated up and just shut down. you will hear clicks, ticks, pops, and pings all throughtout the engine area, yes from outside the car too, and thats probly what it is. Does it only do it after the engine is hot or all the time, i mean can you start the car, run for 5 seconds then shut it down and it still makes noises?

No worries, I can tell you 100% its the ECU. It always clicks a few seconds after you turn it off. Thats normal, they all do that :thumb:

EDIT: Oh I just realized you said it goes on for a few minutes, thats definatly not the ECU. I would go with what the other guys said about the heat, and the metal contracting.

look around your engine bay and make sure that it isnt some sort of electrical arcing. that could be real bad.

JiveMasterT said:
look around your engine bay and make sure that it isnt some sort of electrical arcing. that could be real bad.

* UPDATE*
I just found out what it is. My #1 injector electrical harness is cracked and was off the injector itself. Thats why my car was running like crap, and i think that was the clicking too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back