The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Can an oil leak cause clutch failure/slippage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WatchItExplode

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
So the car has had an oil leak for a couple thousand miles (only a couple of hundred or so are mine, just bought the car) and it recently got worse. See my other thread if you want further details on the leak... http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164868&highlight=found+oil+leak

A few days ago my clutch suddenly started slipping horribly. At first it was just at WOT and >4500 RPM but it has since gotten to the point where I have to barely touch the throttle in order for it to not slip. Day before this happened, the clutch (stock by the way) held like a rock. I have been very easy on it, never launched it.

So what I'm hypothesizing is this, could oil have somehow leaked into the bell housing and soaked the clutch in motor oil? If this is in fact what happened, would there be any hope in saving the pressure plate, etc. or would only the friction disk need replacing?

Ok I'm only going to bump this once...but I drove the car tonight and for some reason the clutch held a lot better, but still slips really bad, especially in 2nd.

don't want to sound like an a**, but why are you asking that question. obviously you have a few major problems that need to be addressed so go out and fix them. two my two pennies.

I'd like to know what I have to buy before taking apart my car, and I'd like to know at least vaugely what to expect when I do.

for things like a clutch you are probably going to need the usual things depending on what you see once it is opened up. take it to the shop

Where is the oil leak? By the turbo oil drain?
The clutch on my car did the same thing. When I rebuilt the motor I found there was a big crack on the bell housing starting at the seal for the output shaft to the transfer case. The trans fluid would leak out onto the output shaft and get flung onto the clutch. Sometimes my clutch would slip pretty bad, I thought I would have to replace it then it would get better again. This happened for over a year before I found the problem. I hope it's not yours. You could pull the transfer case and I think you should be able to see in there a little and just see if there is any oil splashed around.

to awnser the big question, yes, and oil leak can cause your clutch to slip, but in this case i dont think so, the rear main seal going can cause your clutch to slip. check it out, its a b---h to check but if u feel like pullin your trany try the rear main seal. hope that helps,

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back