The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

oil coming out of exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bOOstd GSX

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 29, 2003
Plum, Pennsylvania
First off I have a cracked valve cover... So is it possible that oil is getting into the intake valves because of that or is it a head gasket or some other problem that I definately don't wanna hear about right now?

i would say its somthing to do with your rings, but that would mean its burning oil...maybe somthing to do with your turbo?

I've got oil coming of out the two left exhaust holes on the block... took my 1G exhaust manifold off to upgrade to a ported 2G... saw this and wondered. It would be bad valve seals right? ... and I know it could be so many other things... but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. ;)

:thumb:

my friends turbo was leaking oil out the seals. little by little it got worst until it fianlly bl;ew and broke his turbine and compressor shaft in half.

Does it smoke a lot? Does it smoke all the time or only when you shift? When the turbo is dying it is very common to let out a puff of smoke when you shift.

If your plugs are not fouled and you have no compression loss, it is your valve guides. The VC gasket has nothing to do with oil running out of your exhaust or oil burning.

pr0 said:
If your plugs are not fouled and you have no compression loss, it is your valve guides. The VC gasket has nothing to do with oil running out of your exhaust or oil burning.

valve seals not valve guides

Valve stem seals are not hard to replace. Just take out your valves ( vfaq has a great valve spring compressor idea that I made) and take a pair of pliers and grab the seals and just yank on them until they come off. Get the new 1, coat it with oil inside and on the outside of guide and take a deep well socket (cant remember which size), put it on the new seal, and gently tap the socket with a hammer until the seal is on all the way.

Why have you concluded it's the valve guides? If blue smoke is coming from your exhaust it is probably engine related but if it is oil droplets coming out of the muffler it's most likely the turbo seals.

Recently had crazy problem with oil coming out exhaust and was wet and droplets.Thought blew new turbo.But it appears that cheap crap fuel filter I added in my breather line was full and was blocking crankcase vent totally.As far as can tell this made lot of oil leak everywhere and mabye even made it come out turbo seals.I have no shaft play and turbo is boosting fine and the oil problem seems gone since took out that fram fuel filter.I won't be using one of those again.just my catch can.

heavyD said:
Why have you concluded it's the valve guides? If blue smoke is coming from your exhaust it is probably engine related but if it is oil droplets coming out of the muffler it's most likely the turbo seals.

by turbo seals do you mean the seal between the turbo and exhuast manifold? no blue smoke is coming from the exhuast.

bOOstd GSX said:
by turbo seals do you mean the seal between the turbo and exhuast manifold? no blue smoke is coming from the exhuast.

no by turbo seals is meant by the seals inside the turbo will leak or blow.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back