The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Big T28 Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_sleeper 420

Probationary Member
Nov 3, 2004
Fayettville, North_Carolina
Im thinking about upgrading from my tired ol T25 to the T28 direct bolt on i was just wondering if anyone had any problems with it and if it is worth getting

Its painless. Spools up too quickly for a FWD in my opinion (EVO 16G, 50trim).

I had a fpbig28 ported. I did feel the difference in power at higher boost but ended roasting my tires in 1st and 2nd gear. I sold it a month later cause I eventually wanted to go bigger. If I were I would go with the green or some sort. but if you want a direct replacement thats also pretty cheap than go with the fp28..

wearurpjs said:
I had a fpbig28 ported. I did feel the difference in power at higher boost but ended roasting my tires in 1st and 2nd gear. I sold it a month later cause I eventually wanted to go bigger. If I were I would go with the green or some sort. but if you want a direct replacement thats also pretty cheap than go with the fp28..

That's like me. I originally got an FPT28 and found that it is only a mild upgrade over the T25. :cry: Now I have an FPgreen and all is good, real good. :D

Moral of the story; if you just need to replace your old T25 and aren't interested in large power gains, the T28 is for you. If you crave much more power than stock, you can buy far better turbos for the same money or less such as the EVOIII 16G or AGP 50 trim, etc. Choose wisely.

DSM_sleeper 420 said:
Im thinking about upgrading from my tired ol T25 to the T28 direct bolt on i was just wondering if anyone had any problems with it and if it is worth getting

What are your goals? And no, I've had no problems or complaints with mine.

How much HP is the bigt28 capable of? With all the supporting mods of course. 300ish?

drk mrk iv said:
How much HP is the bigt28 capable of? With all the supporting mods of course. 300ish?

it is stated at 350ish, the big28 from fp is basically a bolt on big16 for 2g's(I don't want to get into an argument with people about this just look at flow charts it flows like 10 less cfm). I say it depends on your mods, I had it on my car for a month, month and a half and then decided to sell it for something bigger. I say if you are looking to break out of the 13's go with something bigger.

I would say with tuning and fuel mods @21 psi 350 would be about what you would get. So, its pretty much a 16g and if your looking for more go bigger than the two.

herostar said:
I loved mine, couldn't have been happier. I'd still have it if I hadn't spun a rod bearing.

I'm not saying it's a bad turbo but for $750 there are better turbo's available. The EVO III 16G is a far better turbo and costs almost the same with the kit.

heavyD said:
I'm not saying it's a bad turbo but for $750 there are better turbo's available. The EVO III 16G is a far better turbo and costs almost the same with the kit.

I wouldnt say its far better... it doesnt flow much more than the fp28 and fp got their full weight gsx into 11's which means the turbo can handle some decent hp. I would say they are both pretty equal and are mild turbo upgrades. From what i have read most people with basic supporting mods dyno at around 310 with the fp28 and its going to be about the same for the evo 16g.

BlackHalo said:
I wouldnt say its far better... it doesnt flow much more than the fp28 and fp got their full weight gsx into 11's which means the turbo can handle some decent hp. I would say they are both pretty equal and are mild turbo upgrades. From what i have read most people with basic supporting mods dyno at around 310 with the fp28 and its going to be about the same for the evo 16g.

Everyone brings up the FP gsx as it is in their ad but that car is an abnormality as getting into the 12's is even a chore with this little turbo. The EVO III 16G flows more and don't just go by the flow rates, ask people who have gone from a T28 to an EVOIII 16G and you will find that most will say its far better. I think alot of the people that think the T28 is awesome has never driven a DSM with a 50 trim and have no idea what fast is. It only took one drive for me and I was ordering an FPgreen pronto.

Like I said before, if you are only looking for a mild upgrade and don't plan on taking the car to the track very often. The T28 will do fine. It's the people that prop it up to be a big power upgrade that bothers me because it is misleading. :(

heavyD said:
Everyone brings up the FP gsx as it is in their ad but that car is an abnormality as getting into the 12's is even a chore with this little turbo. The EVO III 16G flows more and don't just go by the flow rates, ask people who have gone from a T28 to an EVOIII 16G and you will find that most will say its far better. I think alot of the people that think the T28 is awesome has never driven a DSM with a 50 trim and have no idea what fast is. It only took one drive for me and I was ordering an FPgreen pronto.

Like I said before, if you are only looking for a mild upgrade and don't plan on taking the car to the track very often. The T28 will do fine. It's the people that prop it up to be a big power upgrade that bothers me because it is misleading. :(
Yea, i know but none the less 11's can be done. Yea, it mainly comes down to a budget for me and most people. Im just saying you can pick up a used fp28 for 500 or so bolt it on and get some supporting mods your at 300whp pretty easy. I was just using FP car as a example because you said the evo16 is far better. So, really it all depends what kind of money you got and what your plans our. But i agree that the t28 isnt some big bad turbo but its enough for me to beat some srt4's cause those things piss me off :dsm:

I know wrong forum but....

I have my ported FP Big28 with 3k on it coming off this weekend. I just bought a scm50 along with my built engine. I will be posting it up next Wednesday or so for sell.
Just an FYI, for those interested. Pm me if interested.

If you get the t28 go with the big t28 killer, its an awesome turbo, full boost by 3500, and pulls great to redline, and outflows or flows just the same as a big 16

silvergstguy said:
If you get the t28 go with the big t28 killer, its an awesome turbo, full boost by 3500, and pulls great to redline, and outflows or flows just the same as a big 16

But that's just it, that's where things change. A T-28 or FP Big 28 have all Garrett parts in them, and are not hybrids - its just the t-28 is just untouched by anyone and from what I understand, is like a T-25 that can hold boost to redline. A FP Big28 has some thing done on the inside with bigger Garrett wheels to make a better turbo.

The "killer" stuff, is designed to BEAT the T-28 or Big28. Its designed to get a Mitsubishi turbo onto a 2G car without an install kit. Its a hybrid with either a T3 compressor cover and your choice of 16G, B16G or 20G on the inside or some sort of clocked cover with elbow welded on.

I was in the market for one not too long ago, but chose to go with an Evo3 and install kit instead.

Yeah, i used to have a big t28 killer on my daily, sold it, got a 14b, the 14b died, so im buying an evo3 16g, should be in today hopefully if not by monday, and i'll post which i like better :)

Good, a bit of T28 discussion.

Look at this compressor map of a EVO 6.5 turbo (same compressor as EVO III 16g).

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/00000001/full/evo_ti_map_full.jpg

Now go over to this website and look at the "Disco Potato" 62 trim 60mm compressor map. Very similar if not the same wheel as the FP Big28.

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/maps/gt28rs.htm

Since Forced Performance is tight with their turbo specs I've assumed these maps apply to these turbos, could be wrong though.

Given the same spool up between these two turbo's, which would you buy if the install kit made it easy to install? Similar price installed too? One flows 37 lb/min vs. 44 lb/min (after conversion) at 65% efficiency choke flow. My FPt28/t28 flows enough for 319 w.h.p. @ 22 psi. But the Evo 16g is rated for another 7 lb/min more, so say another 70 h.p. I've maxxed my turbo now so I'm really looking forward to getting the EVO III turbo next year. Got to be a good turbo since Mitsubishi's Rally Division has not sought to upgrade the compressor in like what, +5 EVO models. Although the flow restrictors might be the reason why too. Who cares, I'm really excited about this turbo. Any of you guys with the EVO III turbo chip in with comments, I'm taking notes :D

Gene

Sorry Double post.

The "Far North Racing" website is pretty cool. One small constructive criticism though. The FP Big28 dyno run was done in cold weather or those guys wouldn't have been all wearing jackets in the background. Salt on the car, as Dennis himself mentions, kinda shows this was around 30-40*F, I'm guessing. He really extended the Big28's compressor limit by doing this. Garrett knows this and provides a mass air flow compensation factor/equation for colder or warmer test temps. The compressor maps are usually tested at 85*F. I usually myself pick up around 1 lb/min (10 h.p.) for every 20*F drop or so on my datalogger. All I'm saying is trust whatever compressor maps you get your hands on and compare them under the same conditions (i.e. same pressure ratio, same efficiency, same intake temps).

Gene

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back