The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What's this hole for? (Valve cover drain hole)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crtalon

Probationary Member
May 18, 2002
Amsterdam, Amsterdam_NY
Hi guys, I have been a silent reader for a very long
time. It is time for me to ask a question.

Background:I am in the process of heli-coiling my head. All the
studs are out, none broke in the head. The problem is that I by
mistake drilled into one of the holes too far. I know that cut into
the wall slightly because I can stick a zip-tie into the hole and it
goes down in all the way(the zip-tie is like 2x the length of the
hole) The hole is on the bottom row, the one in the middle.

I really didn't want to pull the valve cover just to see what is in
back of that wall I destroyed. I want to say that it is a hole for
a valve cover bolt, but who knows. I figured that one of you may
know. Just in case any of you are curious, yes this is my 1st heli-
coil job, yes I now have to step to all 10mm bolts, and yes I am in
the middle of a turbo install(ETE32)

Thanks a million!
Bruce

Hello everyone,

I just bought a TSI and I pulled off the spark plug cover and found oil accumulating there. I thought it was the oil cap, but the cap looks like it is in pretty good shape. Anyone know what else it could be? Thanks

Will

I have ran into the that problem. The first time, I had a crack in my valve cover. It was so small, I couldn't see it unless I was looking real close. Check for cracks and check the "O" gasket that goes around the spark plug wire holes.

It is your oilcap, unless you have serious blow-by in your spark plug wells. Do a compression test and will hear the air leaking. I cut a piece of 1/16" rubber and put it over my cap, that stopped it from dumping oil. You should check everything since you just bought the car anyway. Good Luck!

It is the gaskets around your spark plug hole under your valve cover, replacing them and this should stop. Later

Originally posted by gixrman
It is your oilcap, unless you have serious blow-by in your spark plug wells.

It could be, after buying my 1993 it had oil in the wells, I cleaned it out and just replaced the oil cap for a hasty fix. I drove it for a year and no oil is in the wells. If the area around the cap is clean though it is the smaller valve cover gasket.

thought it was my dipstick at first so i did a temp duct tape pisx on that, then i bought a new valve cover gasket and it turned out to be the oil cap.. so i put a new one on, i am still going to do the vlave cover gasket cuz i think its a good idea anyways... if i were you i would get a new oil cap, and see how that does... mine was pooling up nice in there.... and now it seems fine. good luck

Attachments

• pict0075.jpg
    pict0075.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 215
Help!! I have water coming out of the valve cover. It's coming out of the hole near the timing gear. I am losing a lot of water and hence boiling dry. I took the car to the shop and they said it'd due to the head being warped. I am getting the head fixed but I am pretty sure that a warped head won't cause water flow. The head was only warped 0.07mm.

Has anyone else experienced this? :confused:

Yeah exactly. I've only owned the car 2 weeks. It has 20,000 km on the motor. I know my way around a V8 but DOHC turbos have me stumped. I haven't even had a chance to look at the problem since it died on the road and was towed straight to the mechanic.

That hole on the front left corner of the valve cover is just a drain for the sparkplug well area. Water coming out of there isn't coming from inside the engine, unless you have some odd leak from a hose or the like feeding into that area.

OK, that makes more sense . Sounds like you guys have more knowledge about the car than the Mitsubuishi dealer.

Thanks for your help.

There is a small hole in the valve cover on the front right near that corner bolt. Mine is leaking oil. What is the hole for and why the leak and what's the fix? I have a '93 Talon. I pushed a toothpick in all the way, doesn't seem to be threaded. What's up>???Mark

All valve covers have that hole but there not suppost to leak oil. I never understood y the hole was put there in the first place but anyway there not suppost to see oil. It runs thru a spot on the valve cover that isnt suppost to see oil so if its leakin oil then theres a crack. The valve cover will either need to be replaced or find someone that can fix the problem. Usually once there cracked the never right from there on. You can try to seal it somehow with some type of sealant or have someone try to weld it but your pretty much wasting your time and money because over time with the heat and cold expansion and torquing it down onto the head they will expand :talon: and get worse

I think that hole is called a "weep" hole, but don't quote me. It lets the oil drain out of the center of your valve cover. I would think that you'll be needin' a new oil cap gasket. There less than $3, so it's at least a cheap place to start.

I wouldn't plug the hole. It's there for a reason. Plugging that hole will just let the oil build up and make its way toward your spark plugs. Go buy an oil cap gasket.

Part # MD 311638

Cost= $2.20 from a dodge dealer, too :thumb:

Thanks to all! I play Talon Trivia and even end up with the part #!! I thought this was going to be really off the wall but thanks for the dedication! Mark

I purchased a 92 gsx a couple of weeks ago. After having it a week I changed the plugs and noticed my valve cover was full of oil. I thought it had to be coming up through the bolts, since there was lots of rtv type stuff that was visible around the edges of the valve cover.

I had my mechanic changed the gasket since I needed a wheel stud done also. After changing it I still have oil. We found a small hole 1-2mm in size in the right front of the valve cover. The hole seems machined, so I am not sure if something should be there or not. Right now I am considering epoxying the hole unless it has some purpose.

BTW, I have replaced my oil cap, and my pcv already. So these were ruled out as problems causing this.

That's the drain hole for the plug valley. Except it's not on the RIGHT, it's on the LEFT. The DRIVER'S SIDE is the LEFT side, regardless of whether you're looking at it backward. But, it's one of those cross-ups we'll never get fixed.

Don't fiddle with it. It's supposed to be there.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77475

If your plug valley is still filling up with oil after replacing the gasket, cam plug and spark plug hole gaskets, you probably have a cracked cam cover.

I just found it. The cover is cracked :mad:

The crack is very small. Neither I or my mechanic caught it. After cleaning up the oily mess with break cleaner again, I saw it this time. At night a bright flashlight brings out those hairline cracks very quickly. :D

Thanks for the help. Tomorrow I can try the epoxy my mechanic gave me just in case the leaking continued. If that does not fix it then ebay valve cover may be my first mod.

Thanks Defiant. That is my hole in question. It is already plugged now though :D I have owned about 10 cars, and this is my first time running into this weep hole. When I get my next valve cover I will leave it alone though. Thanks for the link.

Hi,

I just noticed a little hole in my valve cover near the right side bolt on the front of the cover. What is it for? Does it need to be plugged or left open? BTW, I can stick a wire all the way through.
Thanks,

Sven

Attachments

• DSC02161-2.JPG
    DSC02161-2.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 233
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back