The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Failed Emissions at idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Zero-

Probationary Member
May 4, 2002
Chicago_IL
Hey everyone,

I have a situation here. My 1993 Eclipse GXS has failed the emissions test 4 times at idle, but at higher RPMs that damn thing burns REALLY CLEAN for this area.

Test Results:
Standards: HC 220 CO 1.2
Idle test: HC 1906 CO 1.4 (3rd test)
Higher RPMs: HC 90 CO 0.6

I tried talking with the ILEPA rep, but he said that there's nothing that they can do to get me a waiver since my car has to be tested at IDLE because of the AWD.

I think that the main problem is that something is wrong that causes my car to idle like crap! It seems to loose power when idling, and sometimes even dies. I've heard that this could be caused by the IAC, and was wondering if anyone else had similiar problems.

I don't want to get rid of the car, so I need to get it to pass, any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

There are lots of variables that could cause a bad idle like a bad ISC, a vacuum leak, upgraded fuel pump, bad fuel pressure control valve, O2 sensor, etc.

Without knowing what you have don to the car it's hard to say. Who worked on the car between the tests and what has been replaced. When did it start idleing poorly. Depending on where you are in Chicago there are places that can fix it.

Steve

I had the following done:

plugs replaced
wires replaced
cat replaced
O2 sensor replaced
engine decarbed
compression checked
checked for vacuum leaks
timing adjusted
they also adjusted and checked the entire emissions control system and said that everything looked ok.

I only drive the car 2 or 3 times a week since I work from home most of the time and on the weekends we usually take my wifes car (more room for us and the baby) if we go anywhere.

I'm getting blow back from the dipstick, so I think I have a ring problem, but would that cause it to fail emissions?

I had the car worked on by the Mitsubishi Dealer that I bought it from thinking that they should be able to figure it out since it's one of THEIR damn cars!

And now is seems that the 1st gear syncro is going bad... =( I might have to just sell the damn thing. BUMMER!

You are failing for carbon monxide correct? If that is the case I believe you can correct that by leaning out the mixture a bit at idle (or is it richening it up?). Going too lean causes you to produce ozone and other gases like that being too rich causes you to produce co (not enough oxygen to go around) and petrochemicals. Have you done anything to increase the fuel?

Do you have a BOV or an open air canister? If the bov is venting, put it back to stock. ALso if the air box is open, close it. I have been told that this helps quite a bit for passing for the idle test.

-Dave

i tried to smog my 95 GSX to potentially sell it. it's pretty much bone stock. i have 660cc denso, evo 9 pump, and DSMLink with correct deadtime/etc for the injectors.

I PASS the 2500rpm TEST! flying colors! As well as every other check.

but fail idle test?!?!

I must admit my idle was weird. On cold starts it would idle high and settle. Turn it off then turn it on shortly after sometimes you need to give it some as to keep it alive. I knew this and I kept the car on. But stupid tech turn it off. When he started it again, it was having a hard time idle even dying, he had to give it gas. So its not dying anymore but I could tell it was idling really low.

Well I failed the idle test.

Could I pass if I raise the idle on dsmlink to 900. I changed the ISC and its much better. Smog said the bad idle control kept on messing up the trims because it was wanting to die, etc etc. Don't remember the exact stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back