The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Turbo Comparison - FP3065 vs. GT35R

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegsx9797 said:
im trying to choose between the two now and ive been stuck on the gt35r with the .82 a/r.

only thing ive been ? is there are so many people out there running these two turbos and it seems as the gt35r is the better turbo by far but is not running better times then the 3065. i mean with full built cars with 2.3 strokers i know people trapping there max at 135 range when ive seen the 3065 run quicker. i have yet to see a gt35r trap higher then 136mph. this leads me to wonder if the 3065 is the better made turbo.

Magnus' car has trapped 153 with a GT35R

eclipsegsx9797 said:
im trying to choose between the two now and ive been stuck on the gt35r with the .82 a/r.

only thing ive been ? is there are so many people out there running these two turbos and it seems as the gt35r is the better turbo by far but is not running better times then the 3065. i mean with full built cars with 2.3 strokers i know people trapping there max at 135 range when ive seen the 3065 run quicker. i have yet to see a gt35r trap higher then 136mph. this leads me to wonder if the 3065 is the better made turbo.

I KNOW the 35r would have the top end advantage with the bigger turbine wheel, hence why fp is offering the 3065 (although pricey). Comparing different cars with differnt set ups is silly. Eitehr ways its the smame compressor wheel, so it will ultimately me limited ot the same power potential. It just depends on what boost you will need to run :)

eclipsegsx9797 said:

Tapp Auto's near-full weight (3klbs w/driver) street 2g, has went 144.3mph NO NITROUS on a gt35r. However, there are so many combinations of the so called "GT35R" that 95% of these people quoting numbers/specs don't really have a clue.

DSMu4ia said:
Tapp Auto's near-full weight (3klbs w/driver) street 2g, has went 144.3mph NO NITROUS on a gt35r. However, there are so many combinations of the so called "GT35R" that 95% of these people quoting numbers/specs don't really have a clue.

Exactly, just because you have the 65 lb/min GT40 compressor wheel, many people just lump all these turbos together when they all have different hot sides.

DSMu4ia said:

see thats the stuff i wanted to hear sense my car is daily driven.

Slightly off topic, but I know of a few guys running 36-40 psi on these GT40 compressor and larger turbos. What head gaskets are you guys using? Is the Cometic HP good enough? Assuming I am not running to much timing or running into pre-ignition.

Thanks,
Jay

I fail to find an fp3575 anywhere on forced performance website................

eclipsegsx9797 said:
actully i dont need any of your luck and no one ever said 700+ hp. all i stated was my car is daily driven with a few extra goodies to make my car that much faster on the street with 93 octane.

I guess some people just don't take sarcasm very well? :shhh:

But you did quote Tapp Auto's GSX, which does indeed make 700whp. Hence the 700whp reference.

But go for it. No one said you couldn't do it. Heck, that's why we're all here, right? :thumb:

DSMu4ia said:

I thought that the Tapp Auto car was running a GT40. Or is that some varient of the GT35R?

Lunch_Box said:
I thought that the Tapp Auto car was running a GT40. Or is that some varient of the GT35R?

Most of the time a GT35R is actually a GT3540R (35 turbine, 40 compressor), with the 61mm compressor wheel inducer. FP denotes their FP3575 turbo is actually a GT3540 turbo, but it uses the larger 67mm compressor inducer, and uses the conventional sleeve bearing. Also, any XXX61 turbo used the GT40 61mm inducer compressor wheel. The XXX67 turbos are using the GT40 67mm inducer compressor wheel.

It seems to me like the GT40 compressor wheel is very versitile. Mating it to the ideal turbine wheel and housing is what can make a difference. Kinda of a spool vs. top end trade off.

My two cents,
Jay

Lunch_Box said:

Who knows... unless you actually know what Tapp Auto has, it's all guessing. For all we know, it could be the 64.5mm GT40 compressor wheel which is very capable of what they're putting down.

Guys, I installed FP3575 a night before I left for the shootout. You should have seen the looks that I saw on people’s faces when I told them that I was using FP3575 :). It was pretty amusing :). People kept correcting me: “You meant FP3065, right?”.

Even though, I had it for almost a month now, I haven’t been able to make a single clean pass on this turbo. My car has been plagued with the AEM EMS related gremlins, which left me stranded at the line every time I attempted to make a pass…

But I was able to hit the dyno with it. At a modest 27psi, I was able to make 504 hp, with AEM still not tuned very well. I am also running out of fuel. My 720cc injectors and Cosmo FP are maxed out (which is why I was limited to 27psi). In the next week I am going to install some 1000cc injectors, along with an additional Walbro 392 pump.

I believe that this turbo needs to see more boost in order to be fully effective. I am hoping to put this theory to a test in a couple of weeks. I am going to keep you posted.

Leon
RR

With the debate about trap speeds, which A/R ratios are in question.

someone stated that you could not run a trap over 136 mph would this be with the .82 A/R

Magnus and Tapp Auto have ran 153 and 144 would this be with a the larger 1.## A/R

Can anyone confirm this?

Steve

Big Red AWD said:
With the debate about trap speeds, which A/R ratios are in question.

someone stated that you could not run a trap over 136 mph would this be with the .82 A/R

Magnus and Tapp Auto have ran 153 and 144 would this be with a the larger 1.## A/R

Can anyone confirm this?

Steve
Yes I've talked to magnus, He used the 1.06 when he ran the 153mph. I've ran several 136mphs with the .82, But I believe you can run much faster with with it tho........

1.06 a/r, you're talking about a t3 hotside, or t4?

Leon, sounds like you're getting there :)

Mirage2LTurbo said:
1.06 a/r, you're talking about a t3 hotside, or t4?

Leon, sounds like you're getting there :)
T3 hotside

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back