The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Twin Turbo LS1

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

here is a link to banksturbo's...they might have a kit that works for ya. give them call or email if you don't see what they want.
http://www.bankspower.com/high-performance.cfm?source=overture&kw="chevy+twin+turbo+kit"

i dont know if it'll be much help, but there's a local guy around here running a single turbo on his firebird...here's the site...im sure you can talk to him(if you havent already)

http://home.comcast.net/~deezuns/

CanadianTalon said:
1.32 A/R housings are way too big for twins.
this is my only concern to be honest. :thumbdown I'm thinking Im gonna skip out on the 1.31 and go for something in the .80-1.00 range.

Bandit said:
i dont know if it'll be much help, but there's a local guy around here running a single turbo on his firebird...here's the site...im sure you can talk to him(if you havent already)

http://home.comcast.net/~deezuns/
never talked to him but seen the car and the site. have a video of him racing a fox body stang and he runs a 10.52 I believe with a 1.8 60'. the turbo sounds NASTY as he goes by the cameraman :thumb:

just to let everyone know Im not lookin to have a 700+ rwhp daily driver like him. Id be happy with 450-500, thats my goal.

gsxtacy said:
I found this at a site I check out every once in awhile.

http://amarilloracers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2373

hope the link works.

gsxtacy
oh man, this makes me drool ever time I see it. I saw this one a couple months back and I wanted to sell everything I owned just so I could have that setup. too bad that engine and turbo probably cost MORE than everything I own :cry: (well, minus the car ;) )

Eight Ball WS6 said:
this is my only concern to be honest. :thumbdown I'm thinking Im gonna skip out on the 1.31 and go for something in the .80-1.00 range.

Try like .68 range. Running twin 60-1 HiFi's (good for about 1000 RWHP total, pretty similar to a 57 or 60 trim TO4E) on a buddies 347 mustang with .81 housings we wern't seeing 14 pounds of boost till nearly 5000 RPM's. With the .96 housings it was past 5000 RPM's, too much for a street car.

CanadianTalon said:
Try like .68 range. Running twin 60-1 HiFi's (good for about 1000 RWHP total, pretty similar to a 57 or 60 trim TO4E) on a buddies 347 mustang with .81 housings we wern't seeing 14 pounds of boost till nearly 5000 RPM's. With the .96 housings it was past 5000 RPM's, too much for a street car.
well, in that case, since I'm only gonna run 7-8 psi, I assume it wouldnt be nearly as bad as your friend's car. However, I still agree that it's too large.

I did forget which turbos I originally said I was going to go with. I've changed my mind since then. The new combo is:

Twin T04B90's, .60/.96, 54 mm

I've checked the compressor maps and I should see 7 psi by 3200-3300 RPM. Now whether the .96 turbine will support that...it may be close, what do you think?

Doing somethign similar myself.

Just put a 5.3L vortech from a 2002 silverado and stuck it into an 88 s10 blazer 4x4. Just got the tranny rebuilt to handle 650hp, and stuck an 8 1/2" rear end with LSD.

Gonna single turbo it, once the motor is broken in. Brand new only got 500miles on it. :cool:

sounds bad ass!! Ive seen some pretty sick turbo trucks on the LS1tech forums and a few vids and DAMN I didnt know trucks could go that fast OMG

what turbo you gonna use?

i would say look into supercharging

small block power is great but running twin 70+ size turbos requires alot of flow to turn hence y most people are using a single turbo.

super charging would be less hassle as most kits are built for a direct bolt on fit.

super charging aslo for your car is a bit more ideal speaking of spool up times. v8s dont liek to be held at high rpms and spinning 2 big ass turbos up to that rpm is not going to be very easy nor practical

call up dryers blowers they can send you info about super charging that most people dont have such as flow rates at rpm, pully ratios, and prob set you in the right direction.

but for the turbo thing again careful as your only running a mild 350 size motor that does not flow nearly as much as a built big block 2 turbos i think would be not what your looking for a single would be aswesome tuned right but i think a blower, set right with correct pully sizing you will have boost from 1000 rpm till the motor blows.

char said:
i would say look into supercharging

small block power is great but running twin 70+ size turbos requires alot of flow to turn hence y most people are using a single turbo.

super charging would be less hassle as most kits are built for a direct bolt on fit.

super charging aslo for your car is a bit more ideal speaking of spool up times. v8s dont liek to be held at high rpms and spinning 2 big ass turbos up to that rpm is not going to be very easy nor practical

call up dryers blowers they can send you info about super charging that most people dont have such as flow rates at rpm, pully ratios, and prob set you in the right direction.

but for the turbo thing again careful as your only running a mild 350 size motor that does not flow nearly as much as a built big block 2 turbos i think would be not what your looking for a single would be aswesome tuned right but i think a blower, set right with correct pully sizing you will have boost from 1000 rpm till the motor blows.
like Ive said a few times in this thread, Im not at all for s/c my car. too expensive and too common. LS1's are rev happy, and I know you may not believe that considering its a single cam pushrod engine. truth be told, there are several turbo LS1 guys out there making HUGE power, and the number of pre-fab kits on the market is steadily increasing. it is relatively new to our platform, but its a hell of a way to get some serious power.

also, when you say "two 70+ size turbos", are you talkin about the compressor wheel size?! ie 70+ mm? no way, thats not what Im running. if I were to go with a SINGLE turbo, Id go with the T76 most likely which has a 76 mm compressor. the two Im thinking of going with have a 54 mm wheel.

I believe that until you source all the parts for this, fab up the parts that you are DIY'ing, hours of labor, running properly, tuning, and pushing the 500hp you are looking for, you are going to have more cash into this project than what you think is going into this. This is why all the pre-fab'd kits BREAK THE BANK! With sights of 500hp, TT just does not seem logical. But if you got the cash to blow, BLOW IT!!!! Keep us updated on how this goes.

i like your effort in turbo charging i hope it works out when its done fill us in on performance gains

btw i seen a notch back mustang 351 mild build run a single t76 to a 8.8 quarter. oh yeah im all about gmc products.

eclipse_20g said:
This is why all the pre-fab'd kits BREAK THE BANK! With sights of 500hp, TT just does not seem logical.
Incon made a TT kit for LS1's a while back. They are no longer in business but these kits are still highly sought after. There is a guy on the LS1tech forums who started with this kit, which I believe used two 60-1's, has since custom made his own TT setup which you can see here. Suffice it to say that this guy knows what he's doing.

Eight Ball WS6 said:
well, in that case, since I'm only gonna run 7-8 psi, I assume it wouldnt be nearly as bad as your friend's car. However, I still agree that it's too large.

I did forget which turbos I originally said I was going to go with. I've changed my mind since then. The new combo is:

Twin T04B90's, .60/.96, 54 mm

I've checked the compressor maps and I should see 7 psi by 3200-3300 RPM. Now whether the .96 turbine will support that...it may be close, what do you think?

.96's are still going to be too big IMHO. If they're new turbos find somebody with atleast .81 or even better .68 A/R housings to trade with.

Also, Harlan started right off the bat with Twin T66's.

Eight Ball WS6 said:
just to let everyone know Im not lookin to have a 700+ rwhp daily driver like him. Id be happy with 450-500, thats my goal.

then why spend all the time and money on turbo? Headers, exhaust, heads, cam, 150 shot, K&N, gear, and tires will get you plenty of power and no need to wait for spoolup. I persoanlly still tihnk suspension is the key on those cars, then some bolt ons and that's it. You'd meet your goal no problem without turbos.

1fast97gsx said:
then why spend all the time and money on turbo? Headers, exhaust, heads, cam, 150 shot, K&N, gear, and tires will get you plenty of power and no need to wait for spoolup. I persoanlly still tihnk suspension is the key on those cars, then some bolt ons and that's it. You'd meet your goal no problem without turbos.
LT Headers: 1300
GOOD Heads: 2500
Cam: 350
N2O: 500-700 (which I refuse to use, so we can discount that)
Cat-back exhaust: 350 (which I already have)
Lid and filter: 150 (which I already have)
Gears: 300

I'm leaving a few things out such as throttle body (350 plus a core exchange), misc suspension parts, and tires which I just got, almost 475 bucks for TWO. Im at a total of 5650 just for the things you mentioned, not counting costs for installation should I choose to not do it myself.

I understand the time and resources involved in this. Installation will be negligiable considering I have numerous people willing to help, some with extensive knowledge in this area. Basically, I will be paying for parts and tuning, and all the problems incurred thereafter. I am in no way stepping blindly into oblivion in terms of what I "think" I will be spending. If the car needs to be on stands for 6 months...so be it. :thumb:

how about a clutch or stall? Upgraded torque converter? What exactly is your true goal? 450 whp can be done on motor and the car will run more reliable and smoother than with a turbo. And no lag! You can build an 11 sec all motor ws6 for a pretty reasonable price as opposed to turboing it and dealing with all the problems in the future.

1fast97gsx said:
how about a clutch or stall? Upgraded torque converter? What exactly is your true goal? 450 whp can be done on motor and the car will run more reliable and smoother than with a turbo. And no lag! You can build an 11 sec all motor ws6 for a pretty reasonable price as opposed to turboing it and dealing with all the problems in the future.

No offense, but you need to learn more about V8 turbocharging. For starters, a 450 RWHP naturally aspirated 346 motor is NOT going to run smoother than a stock motor with the stock cam and a bolt on turbo kit. To make 450 to the wheels you're looking at some big 225CC heads paired with something like a thunder 237/237 cam, which does not make for a perfectly smooth car with oodles of low end. If he ran two TO4E 57 trims or even T3/TO4E 57 trims with a .63 or .68 A/R he will start to make boost at around 2000, and be making 10-12 pounds of boost at or before 3000 RPM's. It takes ATLEAST that long for a naturally aspirated stock cube LS1 to start pulling hard, so how can you say anything about lag.

Eight Ball: Do you know how to weld? You can go to burns stainless and you can build a high dollar set of headers for not much money. It's about 700 bucks for a pair of turbo collectors, and all you need to complete the primaries are a couple 90 degree bends to feed right into the collectors. Finish it off with 3" or 3.5" downpipes out of a couple more 90 degree bends and that's it for the hot side piping. Intercooler stuff is fine to do out of mild steel, so that takes the cost down even more. It really shouldn't be that expensive to do the kit if you've welded before and know what you're doing.

CanadianTalon said:
No offense, but you need to learn more about V8 turbocharging. For starters, a 450 RWHP naturally aspirated 346 motor is NOT going to run smoother than a stock motor with the stock cam and a bolt on turbo kit. To make 450 to the wheels you're looking at some big 225CC heads paired with something like a thunder 237/237 cam, which does not make for a perfectly smooth car with oodles of low end. If he ran two TO4E 57 trims or even T3/TO4E 57 trims with a .63 or .68 A/R he will start to make boost at around 2000, and be making 10-12 pounds of boost at or before 3000 RPM's. It takes ATLEAST that long for a naturally aspirated stock cube LS1 to start pulling hard, so how can you say anything about lag.

Eight Ball: Do you know how to weld? You can go to burns stainless and you can build a high dollar set of headers for not much money. It's about 700 bucks for a pair of turbo collectors, and all you need to complete the primaries are a couple 90 degree bends to feed right into the collectors. Finish it off with 3" or 3.5" downpipes out of a couple more 90 degree bends and that's it for the hot side piping. Intercooler stuff is fine to do out of mild steel, so that takes the cost down even more. It really shouldn't be that expensive to do the kit if you've welded before and know what you're doing.

i was thinking about doing this with my Z-71 truck but there is much more room i was just going to turn the headers around which i have heard is possible and get a set of t3/t4E turbos (because i already have one new one) and build the motor into a 383 and run lt1 intake and heads but i have not put much more though into this but with your WS6 i think the big problem is going to be room there is no room under the hood for that stuff i have seen people put the turbo back by the tranny for that reason i would just supercharger it and call it a day i love turbo's and have 2 turbo cars but it is a pain in the a$$ on that car to do it because there is no room.

I believe its called SNS engineering. They make a remote turbo kit for some Chevy's and Mopars. They are real secret looking. Instead of having the manifold come off the motor, the turbo is mounted back where the muffler used to be. There is no intercooler involved because the piping has built in 'cooler's in it. Its pretty intricate (sp??). They have gotten over 600whp on the owners 03 Firebird.

Eight Ball WS6 said:
yhype, have all those cals on my hard drive for a while now but thanks for the suggestion. As far as s/c, Id rather do turbo. The parasitic power loses associated with s/c'ing just isn't worth the nearly 6K price tag for the good ones, especially at higher boost levels. The more boost you run with a s/c, the more power it takes directly from the engine.

-Mario

I have always had a solution to the parasitic lose issue. Run the charger off of a big battery. I want to try it!

you had better have a lot of batteries to put out that kind of power. A supercharger typicaly uses 1/3 of the power increase to power itself. So if your getting 200 more horsepower at the flywheel the SC is making 300 more hp and using 100 of it to power the impeller.

Do you have a motor that can put out 100 hp? or about 75000 watts. At 600 CCA and 12 volts you would need 10 batteries. And then you have to charge those batteries after you use them.

this is one of the places that is trying to do this
http://www.boosthead.com/home.php
it only makes 405 cfm at 5psi. Not much compares to our turbos...but good for NA cars that don't have good turbo kit options. It can only go for 15 sec bursts and has to recharge for 6-10 minutes(even with a 200-amp alt and "several batteries)

I think turbo is the way to go...for now. Maybe the electic thing will work better when voltages go up in a few years. This will give better efficiencies. (Mil Humvee's I work on use 24 volt, in 2006 autos go up to 42 volt, and hybrids use even higher voltage)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back