The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Can You Paint Subwoofer Cone????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHite97RS

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 10, 2002
Richmond, Virginia
I was just curious if it is possible to paint the cone on the subwoofer or if the vibrations would ruin the paint or if the paint would ruin the subwoofer???????, same thing for an Amp????? Please no harsh comments!

Thanks

White97rs

I'm not sure why you would want to do that, but both. The vibrations would crack the paint and the paint would muffle, or possibly damage the cone.

It wouldn't hurt the amp I don't think, but get high temp paint.

When I had my neon, I painted part of my cone, but not the whole thing.

Attachments

• 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 5,176
It won't hurt the cone unless it's the kind of paint that can eat certain things...make sure it eats nothing before you spray it. It'll crack over time from being flexed, especially if you have a high excursion sub (JL W7, Phoenix Gold TI12D Elite, etc.)

i was just curious, cause my subs are just black and they bore me, as well as my amp.

The paint on the cones is a bad idea. The weight of the paint on the cone would slow the reaction of the cone down. It would be like weighing you down and making you jump jump rope, it just doesnt work very good.

As for painting the amp, the paint would act like a blanket. The heat wouldnt disipate as good. This could lead to the amp going in to a thermal overload. Again, bad idea.

If you dont like the color, get another brand.

Laterz

thanks for the advice, i think ill just make a custom bandpass box with some neons and hide the amp somewhere and rig up a fan or somethign to keep it kool

only reason im goin bandpass is because i dont like my woofers being exposed in my trunk, even with grills on them im afraid im gonna throw something in there and ruin the sub completely.

Please, for the sake of quality woofers!!!! DO NOT PAINT THOSE IMAGE DYNAMICS! especially if they are the IDMax's. cause those are amazing woofers!!!!! and you could get some bitchin lookign grills or you "show" guys.

The paint will ruin the subs. Painting them will make them sound like shit...if you don't wanna look at them, why not just mount them inverted?? Same SQ, cool looks, and a little better durability.

FiReBReTHa said:
bandpass?

Gross....

personal opinion, sealed = :thumb:

don't diss all bandpass boxes, if they are made for the sub, they have the potential of sounding great, but the cheap boxes that you buy will have a 99.999999% chance of sounding like shit.

As for painting the cone, just like everyone else, it's not a good idea.

As for the amp, if it is aluminum, get it anodized (sp?). It will disipate heat great.

fr33b1rth said:
don't diss all bandpass boxes, if they are made for the sub, they have the potential of sounding great, but the cheap boxes that you buy will have a 99.999999% chance of sounding like shit.

As for painting the cone, just like everyone else, it's not a good idea.

As for the amp, if it is aluminum, get it anodized (sp?). It will disipate heat great.

There is a vid floatin around with a guy that built a bandpass box with a 6" or 2 6" subs that sound like 15"s. It's in a golf if i remember right

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back