The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Turbo Comparison - FP3065 vs. GT35R

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poorboyj

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Guys,
I am trying to decide between two turbos here, the FP3065 and the GT35R. I have included the results of my recent research. Please inform me if I have any incorrect information. From the looks of things, only the turbine sides are different. If my information is correct, what do the differences mean in real life? Spool rpm differences, TQ & HP curve shapes, peak TQ & HP values and rpm, max boost pressure, and transient response are my selection criteria. Assume a standard 9.0:1 "build motor" with typical 1mm over valves, BJs stage 4 head, 272 or 414 cams, AEM EMS, etc.

Thanks,
Jay

Attachments

• FP3065_vs_GT35R.jpg
    FP3065_vs_GT35R.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 7,370
They'd probably be almost identical in spool time, flow, etc., but considering the reputation of Forced Performance for specifically dealing with DSMs, that's who I'd go with.

There are several other turbos that can work well. A non-ball bearing gt40 setup can make awesome power, spool great, and cost $500-600 less.

How different would this choice be for a 4G64 motor? Also, Unreal, what other combinations seem to work better? Is the GT42R too big, even for a 4G64? Finally, what would be a compatable camshaft selection for this setup. My goal (for once) is to have all of my components compliment each other.

Thanks guys,
Jay

Totally depends on how much power you want. We've sent out a few cool new hybrids that are working awesome. Call me up tommorow and we can discuss all the different options.

www.agpturbo.com

I'll help fill in some of your missing info poorboyj. The FP30 TH is .70 A/R, 9cm2.

It will also fit the GT37 TW and a T3/T4 bearing housing. We use this hot side setup with a large 67mm GT40 compressor wheel with a 750hp rating, 600+whp measured. This is called the FP3575 and is much less expensive than the GT30 ballistic concepts ball bearing CHRA's. Around $1k. Perfect for larger engines and bigger camshafts.

www.forcedperformance.com
www.forcedperformance.net

Robert,
Thanks for the information. I will probably give you guys a call to discuss this futrther, but does a GT35R fit the FP TH as well? I am really leaning towards the GT35R turbo. I just want to know if there are any other hot setups that I should consider as well.

Thanks,
Jay White

The GT42R is going to be too big for any 2.3L street motor, in my opinion. It uses an exhaust housing and wheel that is larger than a typical T4 housing, and will make well over 1000 horsepower at the flywheel. I think the best way we can help you pick out a turbo is to give us a horsepower goal.

Since I'm AWD and have never dyno'd I'm not sure what HP I should be looking. With my motor spec's above and typical supporting mod's, I don't want the turbo to be the bottleneck in my setup. If I had to give a number I'd say 600 HP, maybe a little more. I'm more concerned with running 140+ mph and mid 10's or so, car is full weight.

What type of camshaft compliments these sized turbos? I have been looking at Crower's 414, but I haven't heard much about their 415 cams?

Thanks again guys,
Jay White

Assuming a 2945 pound curb weight for a 1G AWD DSM + 200 pound driver, that's going to take what, 550-600 horsepower to the wheels to hit 140 in the quarter? An FP3065 will do 550 and beyond, but you could move up to something even bigger like a GT67 if you want to. My turbo is going to Limit Engineering to have it upgraded to the new GT67 compressor wheel. It's said to spool like a 60mm wheel, and make power like a 70mm wheel! Just a thought, but if you want to stick to a mitsu flange the FP3065 will take you there.

Sorry guys, I think like an engineer, I need raw data to compare. Here is my revised spreadsheet. Some of this is probably worng, please correct me if I am. Also, where would the GT67 fit in? I couldn't find much info on Limit Engineering's site.

Thanks,
Jay White

Attachments

• FP3575.jpg
    FP3575.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 5,222
poorboyj said:
Sorry guys, I think like an engineer, I need raw data to compare. Here is my revised spreadsheet. Some of this is probably worng, please correct me if I am. Also, where would the GT67 fit in? I couldn't find much info on Limit Engineering's site.

Thanks,
Jay White

I'm not 100% positive on this info because the GT67 has only been sold for less than a year, so there isn't a whole lot out there about it. It flows about the same as a regular PT67/T67/TO4R turbo at 75 pounds per minute, but with the new impeller design it is a whole bunch more efficient. GT67 vs. PT67 is like comparing a 60-1 to an SC61, they both will put out about the same amount of peak horsepower, but the SC61 has a much more efficient wheel so it will give you lower IAT's, and more horsepower at lower boost levels.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There's a picture of the GT67 wheel, notice how it has a "dual inlet" on the fins unlike the single inlet like a normal turbo. Best bet is to call up the guys at Limit Engineering, they're friendly as hell and always willing to talk on the phone. 9284537321.

Is the 3251 something that FP used to sell? It doesn't make sense in the naming schemes I am familiar with...

I would venture a guess that it MIGHT be a GT32 CHRA and turbine wheel, with some 51 lb/min compressor wheel. No idea though, just a guess!

poorboyj said:
Here is my revised spreadsheet.

Jay-

Where did you find the information about the 3575's compressor wheel? It doesn't match the information in my Garrett catalog, although that doesn't necessarily mean much. :D

Also, I am not sure why, but your chart says that the 35R uses a compressor wheel from the GT40. I don't think that's right, I think it uses the GT35R compressor wheel ;), which is the same exducer size but a different trim (and therefore different inducer size) than the GT40.

I'm sure you could get one made with the GT40 wheel though!

I'm willing to bet that the GT67 or whatever the official names is, is the same compressor used in the new HKS T04Z and the T04R. If so then here are the dimensions.

63 Trim
Inducer Diameter: 66.7mm
Exducer Diameter: 84mm

To whomever asked, I got this info from sifting through the web, so I have my doubts about its accuracy.

I may have found a good deal on a GT3540 (65lb/min) locally.

1. Does any one know if it will fit the FP turbine housing?

2. Are there any benifits of sticking with the Garrett turbine housing and switching manifolds?

2. Also, will there be a big(read: noticable) difference in spool between the ball bearing GT3540R, and this GT3540 turbo?

3. Finally, are there gains to be had by switching to a tubular or "aftermarket" cast manifold?

Currently, I am running a ported, and supposedly extrude honed, exhaust manifold off Dan Cokic's race car.

Jay

swordfish said:
I'm willing to bet that the GT67 or whatever the official names is, is the same compressor used in the new HKS T04Z and the T04R. If so then here are the dimensions.

63 Trim
Inducer Diameter: 66.7mm
Exducer Diameter: 84mm

I thought the HKS TO4R still used the traditional older Garrett TO4R wheel, not the new one? But yes, that appears to be the GT67 wheel.

Here's a little snippet from www.turbobuick.com

Originally posted by ijames
The GT67 wheel is available with three different turbines. All of these are large shaft turbos, and cost $1075 with the TO4E compressor housing and $1175 with the TO4S housing. The smallest uses the TO4 69 trim turbine (inducer diameter 2.92", exducer diameter 2.42"), the same turbine used in the PTE53, PTE54, and TE61 turbos. None of the common TR turbos uses this combination of such a large compressor and small turbine so there doesn't seem to be anything to compare it to. The next one uses the TO4 P trim turbine, and the last one uses the new GT-Q trim turbine. The best comparison for the P trim version is the Precision PT66, Limit Engineering TE-45A, and Turbonetics T66 (with P trim) which all use the T66 compressor wheel and P trim turbine. According to Joe the GT67 will outspool these and make a few more hp. From what I've seen, most people don't step up to a Q trim turbine until the compressor is 72 mm or larger, but if the GT-Q can really outspool the old P trim then the GT67 Q may turn out to be the most popular of the three - time will tell.

Bolded the most important part. The GT67 makes more power than a T66 or T67, spools significantly quicker, and is very efficient at low and high boost. It seems like an ideal wheel for a mid displacement (2-3 litres) car that wants to make a whole shitload of power, and yet wants to have good spool and still make good power on low boost for pump gas. I was told this should spool like a 62-1, and make power like a T70!

kpt4321 said:
Jay-

Where did you find the information about the 3575's compressor wheel? It doesn't match the information in my Garrett catalog, although that doesn't necessarily mean much. :D

Also, I am not sure why, but your chart says that the 35R uses a compressor wheel from the GT40. I don't think that's right, I think it uses the GT35R compressor wheel ;), which is the same exducer size but a different trim (and therefore different inducer size) than the GT40.

I'm sure you could get one made with the GT40 wheel though!

Call FP and ask for the info on the FP3575. :p It's not a secret. If you're nice, you might even get a compressor map.

Sorry to stray a little off topic but since it was mentioned: Is there anyone out there running the HKS T04Z yet?

CanadianTalon said:
I thought the HKS TO4R still used the traditional older Garrett TO4R wheel, not the new one? But yes, that appears to be the GT67 wheel.

Here's a little snippet from www.turbobuick.com

Bolded the most important part. The GT67 makes more power than a T66 or T67, spools significantly quicker, and is very efficient at low and high boost. It seems like an ideal wheel for a mid displacement (2-3 litres) car that wants to make a whole shitload of power, and yet wants to have good spool and still make good power on low boost for pump gas. I was told this should spool like a 62-1, and make power like a T70!

Got any quotes for spool on a 2.0?

You sound like your're benchracing this turbo, back it up with facts y0. :)

DSMu4ia said:
Got any quotes for spool on a 2.0?

You sound like your're benchracing this turbo, back it up with facts y0. :)

This post has me a little concerned wit hte spool characteristics of the T67 on a DSM.

CanadianTalon said:
Reasonable spool and 700 WHP typically don't belong in the same area as each other.
I'm running a PT67, I'm seeing 20 pounds of boost by about 6500 RPM's, spinning the motor to over 9000. I'm unsatisfied with the powerband, that's why I'm building a 2.3L stroker to throw in it's place, along with a new GT67 compressor wheel. We just made 601 WHP with this same turbo on a friends 1.8L integra at only 25 pounds of boost, so I think pushing it into the 30's you would be able to make 650+ WHP. Street driving from a very slow roll sucks because it does take a long time to make boost, but if you're launching or going from a faster roll where you can downshift a bunch it's alright. If I'm racing I spray a 125 shot of juice starting @ 3000 RPM's, and I have the AEM shut it off once I push in the clutch or as soon as I see 14 pounds of boost, boost comes on a lot quicker, and it helps smooth out any boost drop off between gears. I don't expect to have to use nitrous when I get the 2.3 and the new compressor wheel in.

poorboyj said:
This post has me a little concerned wit hte spool characteristics of the T67 on a DSM.

There are lots of variables for turbo spool, you have to keep that in mind. I have run .58, .68, and .81 housings with this turbo. The .81 was too laggy for street use, the .58 I found made the turbo like a lightswitch, it would go from 0-20 psi over the span of a few hundred RPM and it made it a handful to drive on the street, now with the .68 it slowed it down a bit and made it more smooth. Other things such as compression, altitide, how much fuel is in the motor, and timing all can have a large effect on how quickly your turbo spools. Here's a car running a .58 A/R T67, 580 WHP @ 29 psi, it looks like he's seeing excellent boost in the 5500-6000 range, and it actually makes a nice power curve on the top end there after the turbo spools. Click Here. That power curve would look even better if he spun it out another 500 or 1000 RPM's, and even more so with a 2.3L stroker. Pick the right components and it'll all work out OK :)

im trying to choose between the two now and ive been stuck on the gt35r with the .82 a/r.

only thing ive been ? is there are so many people out there running these two turbos and it seems as the gt35r is the better turbo by far but is not running better times then the 3065. i mean with full built cars with 2.3 strokers i know people trapping there max at 135 range when ive seen the 3065 run quicker. i have yet to see a gt35r trap higher then 136mph. this leads me to wonder if the 3065 is the better made turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back