The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

U-haul Says I Cant Tow My Eclipse????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91orangeGST

15+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2004
Winfield, Missouri
I just bought an 91 gsx and I need to tow it back home with a tow dolly, but U-HAUL says that an eclipse is to low to the ground. I've towed an 87 rx7 perfectly fine. Also the car doesnt have a rear bumper so it will have even more ground clearence. I jsut dont want to drive 200 miles and find out that Im wrong so please reply back by tonight with anything that will help! Thanks,

kyle

I'm not sure what a tow dolly looks like but remember a GSX must have all 4 wheels off the pavement when towing.

Being a GSX (awd) the biggest issue is that you're not supposed to tow a AWD vehicle without having all four tires up... You really need two dollies for the back tires...

just put 2x4's under the front and rear tires when they pull it onto the FLATBED! :dsm:

just remember that the driveshaft will be flopping around as well the whole way. i'd definitely tie it up or something.

I bought my 96 gsx with a blown engine, and towed it home on a tow dolley.

Just un bolt the driveshaft and hang it with a coat hanger - towed my car 50 miles this way with absolutely no problems....

Just take it completely out and be done with it. Would be less aggrevation and less time. Take 10 minutes if that. All you need is a 14mm deepwell, a 12mm socket, a 12mm wrench and a jack offcourse. Youll have to be able to turn the driveshaft by hand to get to all 4 of the bolts that mount it to the rear differential so keep it in neutral. Youll loose all of you gear oil in your t-case so dont forget to fill it back up if and when u drive it :talon:

U- haul rents flat beds for around $50.00 last time i rented last year. It was only $15 dollars more that the dolley.

just get a 4 wheel dolly.

the later turbos have learance issues supposedly because they have 17" wheels... but they are the same diameter as the stock ones...
I think they are afraid yuo'll scrapes the wheels and sue them.

2gs of all types have nose clearance issues, bust supposedly they can all be towed except the 97-99 GSX b/c it has 17" wheels...

Some companies like Uhaul ban all of them, others like penske just the 97-99.

4 wheel dolly it, and have someone help you load it...

I ran into the same problem when I bought my first Talon, Uhaul said that the ground clearance of the car was too low. I just told them I was hauling a 1995 GMC Jimmy and got the trailer. Just be careful when you load it.

You shouldn't have problems towing your 1g on a 4 wheel dolly. When I got my project car it had no motor in it and the tranny was sitting in the trunk of the car and I had no clearance issue at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back