The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

who is FASTEST for CHEAPEST?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STARION

20+ Year Contributor
May 30, 2002
Nova, D.C.
ok, basically I am looking for the person that has the lowest timeslip and the most money left in their wallet. To get there, what mods did it take? INCLUDE the cost of the car (sorry 2G guys).

I was looking over recipts and have done VERY well IMO. I have spent under $3,000 including my car and I SHOULD be in the 13s at least. I have no timeslip yet, so take it for what its worth (nothing). I don't like talking without anything to back it up, thats why it is not a fact, just a mere guess. I definately don't want this to turn into a flame war, so just post if you (unlike me) have a timeslip, a cost figure, and a mods list.

1989 Mirage turbo: $1000
J-spec GVR-4 Motor w/510cc: $800
new water pump, tenioner, pulleys, and T-belts:$100
1990 DSM ECU: $70
DSM MAS:$30
Boost gauge: $20
16G:$200
CFDF clutch: $100
Derale Oil cooler: $70
plugs: $8
Taylor Wires:$40
MBC:$40
SAFC:$100(yep)
Walboro 190:$83
SMIC:$30
piping: $30
Exhaust piping and flanges:$100

beat that. well, you probably can if you got a 1G AWD for cheap. :)

There are quite a few people out there that can run 12-13's nearly stock with just the free mods and a few other things. Weight reduction is the cheapest, easiest way to go fast without hurting your car. However, it isn't the most practical thing to do, because that kind of eliminates the daily driver ability...that is, unless you enjoy driving around in a stripped car.

So far...

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 1500
Came with K&N...
Built MBC - 12 bucks.
Top Fuel Pully - 50 bucks (stock one fell apart)
Magnacor 8mm plug wires - 70 bucks (needed em bad)
UNbolted Exhaust (technically more or less fell off)

$1632 total i believe...

Running dead even with a WRX that ran 13.6@100, priceless... (that was even before the wires were put on, yes folks, 113k stock wires)

I've since done weight reduction, fixxed my blown manifold gasket, and am about to order a 400 dollar part... :) Finnally gonna stop cheaping it :)

I think thats got you beat... so with the SS o2 eliminator DP, i'm gonna go run the car, hoping for 13's on an easy launch... then i'm gonna get a Dijon intake, all of that will put me at just a tad over 2 grand... :p

Damn you guys are cheeeeeep! :p

But if everything goes to plan, next season should see the 11 sec, $2k car! ;)

1990 TSi AWD 2000
TDO6 20g 7cm/ 15 clip 880(RRE special)
Tial 35 Mil WG and all piping 250
drop the exhaust
Custom fmic made by welding 2 stock smic's together 75$(50 labor, 25 for another IC)
Sean's 9 second Portwork 30$
boost gauge 50$
Home depot intake and k&n 70$
lose ~100 lbs
all 2.5 nch IC piping and TB elbow 110$
JoeP MBC 50

about 3550

12.6@113 w/ a bad 2.0 60 ft. The cheapest way to go fast is on a big turbo =)

The car has a few better mods nowadays though....

Originally posted by Thalomos
So far...

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 1500
Came with K&N...
Built MBC - 12 bucks.
Top Fuel Pully - 50 bucks (stock one fell apart)
Magnacor 8mm plug wires - 70 bucks (needed em bad)
UNbolted Exhaust (technically more or less fell off)

$1632 total i believe...

Running dead even with a WRX that ran 13.6@100, priceless... (that was even before the wires were put on, yes folks, 113k stock wires)

I've since done weight reduction, fixxed my blown manifold gasket, and am about to order a 400 dollar part... :) Finnally gonna stop cheaping it :)

I think thats got you beat... so with the SS o2 eliminator DP, i'm gonna go run the car, hoping for 13's on an easy launch... then i'm gonna get a Dijon intake, all of that will put me at just a tad over 2 grand... :p

I have put 1G awds in the high 12's with this same parts list, less the pulley :dsm: See, theres no need to spend much money.

I have put 1G awds in the high 12's with this same parts list, less the pulley See, theres no need to spend much money.

Sure on race gas, i dont plan on running any higher than 14 psi until i can properly move plenty of air through the engine :)

I'm extra cautious about my car.. LOL :) I need it :)

90 awd tsi, 300 dollars
upic pipe - free
water injection - 100
exhaust w/test pipe - free
k&n 25 bucks
ngk wires, 5 bucks
hks evc ez 30 bucks
95 manifold lightly ported 40 bucks
510 inj.s 75 bucks

gauges 100 bucks

for less then 500 bucks i can run door to door with a 2k1 c5 6spd. on a 55 mph punch {did that one tonight}

after january, the total cost spent will sky rocket

90 talon tsi awd $3000
it came with the following:
tdo6 20g ported and cliped 15
walbro 255
650's rc engineering inj.
hks vpc/gcc
hks 272 cams
90 big rods
95 pistons
ported head
3 angle valve job
1 1/2" fuel line, from the tank
nology hotwires
ngk plugs
greddy profec b
greddy turbo timer
95 ported mani
3" turbo back exhuast
knife edge and lightened crank
fmic
delta gate
1g crushed bov venting to atmosphere
2.5" ic piping
fpr
boost, air/fuel gauges
extremes short/stiff shifter
unorthodox racing underdrive ss puleys

and then i bought a set of titanium retainers and swirled valves with titanium valvesprings for 600

Originally posted by Silent2g
90 awd tsi, 300 dollars
upic pipe - free
water injection - 100
exhaust w/test pipe - free
k&n 25 bucks
ngk wires, 5 bucks
hks evc ez 30 bucks
95 manifold lightly ported 40 bucks
510 inj.s 75 bucks

gauges 100 bucks

for less then 500 bucks i can run door to door with a 2k1 c5 6spd. on a 55 mph punch {did that one tonight}

after january, the total cost spent will sky rocket

So wait... you trap 106+ on pump gas when the best T25's on race gas are barely breaking 100? Thats nice, I wish my car was magic too! I run 12.4's and don't like c5's on pump gas!

Originally posted by turbofanatic
90 talon tsi awd $3000
it came with the following:
tdo6 20g ported and cliped 15
walbro 255
650's rc engineering inj.
hks vpc/gcc
hks 272 cams
90 big rods
95 pistons
ported head
3 angle valve job
1 1/2" fuel line, from the tank
nology hotwires
ngk plugs
greddy profec b
greddy turbo timer
95 ported mani
3" turbo back exhuast
knife edge and lightened crank
fmic
delta gate
1g crushed bov venting to atmosphere
2.5" ic piping
fpr
boost, air/fuel gauges
extremes short/stiff shifter
unorthodox racing underdrive ss puleys

and then i bought a set of titanium retainers and swirled valves with titanium valvesprings for 600

Nice, you have lots of mods, any proof your car can actually move well?

Well i don't own a DSM but i thought i'd post anyways.

-1990 Mustang LX 2.3 N/A: Free :D
-1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe: $1000
-1988 turbo coupe engine completely rebuilt with new forged pistons, forged crower rods and total seal rings, completely resleved block, valve job and other head work. Polished crank, reground cam and hot tanked block and head :$1000
-new brakes, shocks and struts all round: $500
-good rims and tires $100

Total:$2600

All prices in Canadian.
All the mechanical work was done by myself and some really good friends so that saved alot of money there ;) :D

Darryl

yo itsstockofficer, i don't have any timeslips yet. when i bought the car, the guy i bought it off of thought there was something really wrong with the engine. but i have only had it about 4 months and i have changed all the gaskets on the engine, a couple where leaking, and checked for boost leaks. come to find out that there where a couple big ones and thats what was wrong with the car. the guy i bought it off of didn't know a lot about cars, and has alot of money, and he bought it from the guy that built it for around 7500. and had it for around 2 or 3 months, he drove it a few times and parked it. the guy he bought it off of told him it needed tuned, but i guess he just didn't want to go through all the trouble or something. but i guess that worked out better for me though

So wait... you trap 106+ on pump gas when the best T25's on race gas are barely breaking 100?

Considering it's a '90, i would think it has a 14b...

Either way, hanging with C5's is far stretched, but there are some moronic people out there with "fast" cars...

this is making me cry. I have more in rims and tires than some of you have in your WHOLE CAR!!! :cry: hummm... at least I know that there are no(FACTORY) 1G drop tops... and well... chicks dig convertables... that will have to do for now... :cool:

Originally posted by svo1990mustang

-1988 turbo coupe engine completely rebuilt with new forged pistons, forged crower rods and total seal rings, completely resleved block, valve job and other head work. Polished crank, reground cam and hot tanked block and head :$1000

All prices in Canadian.
All the mechanical work was done by myself and some really good friends so that saved alot of money there ;) :D

Darryl

you didn't add how fast that 2600 got you?

Ok I have several DSM's, and two of them will never be considered cheep. However a couple of months ago I aquired a 1990 GS-T, and I decided to see what could be done at very little cost, but perhaps alot of time.

1990 Eclipse GS-T $100 broken t-belt
2g pistons free from aquired motor std bore or $25 price of motor
Mod rods for 2g pistons did it my self
rod bearings $24
main bearings $52
gasket set $108
timing belt $26
rings $68
removed balence shafts free did it myself
mill head free did it myself
5 angle valve job free did it myself
valve free from aquired motor or $50 price of motor or some fraction of
hone block free did it myself
upper and lower IC pipes $75 bought various pieces and put together
K&N filter $30
21/2" downpipe $150
Borla bullit muffler $35 thats the end of the exhaust
Adjustable FPR free made it myself
Denzo fuel pump $125
fuel filter $20
Big 16g traded for labor t-belt job or $250
95 exhaust manifold free from aquired motor
manifold porting free did it myself
O2 housing porting free did it myself
turbine housing porting free also you know how
turbo inlet tube $45

that is $1183.00 but if you concider the time involved I am off the scale from some of the people on this list. Times I will have to let you know on this since the car is done and feels quite strong, but it is November and all drag strips are closed until April.

:D I realize that most people do not have access to this kind of equiptment, or may not know how to use it, so as I said this this just a trial on what could be done for little cash, but alot of time.

Originally posted by svo1990mustang

All prices in Canadian.

Darryl

We have a guy at the local track that runs 9.3's in his street driven svo. http://www.anythingcars.com/movies/opening_day/svo_96.avi

Here he is running 9.6 on video

Is the guy still running the svo engine??? or has he gon to something else like the 4.6 or the 5.0, cause i have seen this alot with the svo's:rolleyes: unfortunatley.

Darryl

Originally posted by Big Woo
Ok I have several DSM's, and two of them will never be considered cheep. However a couple of months ago I aquired a 1990 GS-T, and I decided to see what could be done at very little cost, but perhaps alot of time.

1990 Eclipse GS-T $100 broken t-belt
2g pistons free from aquired motor std bore or $25 price of motor
Mod rods for 2g pistons did it my self
rod bearings $24
main bearings $52
gasket set $108
timing belt $26
rings $68
removed balence shafts free did it myself
mill head free did it myself
5 angle valve job free did it myself
valve free from aquired motor or $50 price of motor or some fraction of
hone block free did it myself
upper and lower IC pipes $75 bought various pieces and put together
K&N filter $30
21/2" downpipe $150
Borla bullit muffler $35 thats the end of the exhaust
Adjustable FPR free made it myself
Denzo fuel pump $125
fuel filter $20
Big 16g traded for labor t-belt job or $250
95 exhaust manifold free from aquired motor
manifold porting free did it myself
O2 housing porting free did it myself
turbine housing porting free also you know how
turbo inlet tube $45

that is $1183.00 but if you concider the time involved I am off the scale from some of the people on this list. Times I will have to let you know on this since the car is done and feels quite strong, but it is November and all drag strips are closed until April.

:D I realize that most people do not have access to this kind of equiptment, or may not know how to use it, so as I said this this just a trial on what could be done for little cash, but alot of time.

Nice equipment and purchases for a good price!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Darryl

Originally posted by jdmawd

you didn't add how fast that 2600 got you?

Barely into the 13's as it sit's on crappy BFgoodrich radials. with 2.2 60 ft. times (lack of traction):rolleyes:

Darryl

Originally posted by XTurboSpYderX
this is making me cry. I have more in rims and tires than some of you have in your WHOLE CAR!!! :cry: hummm... at least I know that there are no(FACTORY) 1G drop tops... and well... chicks dig convertables... that will have to do for now... :cool:

Nice looking job on making that car a convertable!! :thumb: :thumb: How much did that set you back??

Darryl

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back